• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where will the test sides be ranked in 4 years?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In 4 years time for all we know the England batting side may be far stronger with Root, Bairstow and Taylor in it alongside Cook. Swann and Anderson will be huge losses but Panesar should still be around and Finn has the potential to be a fantastic bowler. In all honesty though there are probably a couple of 18/19 year olds who haven't played much first class cricket yet who may be test players/possibles as Bairstow, Root, Finn and Taylor are now.

I think 4 years is too long to look ahead as 4 years ago Swann was only just in the team, Anderson had only just cemented his place in the side but everyone was still waiting for him to revert to being crap again and Trott was so far off the radar you would have laughed at the prospect of him EVER playing a test.

I think the team who will suffer the most in 4 years time will be South Africa, Kallis gone and possibly Smith. Steyn and all of the current team will be early 30's or older so who knows who else may have dropped out by then.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Four years is a little difficult to predict but in 2-3 years IMO

1) England
2-6) the rest
7) NZ
8) SL
9) Bangas
10) Zim

sonnench

U19 12th Man
In 4 years time for all we know the England batting side may be far stronger with Root, Bairstow and Taylor in it alongside Cook. Swann and Anderson will be huge losses but Panesar should still be around and Finn has the potential to be a fantastic bowler. In all honesty though there are probably a couple of 18/19 year olds who haven't played much first class cricket yet who may be test players/possibles as Bairstow, Root, Finn and Taylor are now.

I think 4 years is too long to look ahead as 4 years ago Swann was only just in the team, Anderson had only just cemented his place in the side but everyone was still waiting for him to revert to being crap again and Trott was so far off the radar you would have laughed at the prospect of him EVER playing a test.

I think the team who will suffer the most in 4 years time will be South Africa, Kallis gone and possibly Smith. Steyn and all of the current team will be early 30's or older so who knows who else may have dropped out by then.
Yeah, because it's not like we have any youngsters or anything....:dry:

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
Four years is the end of 2016... that's a long time, well after the next World Cup too, but I think the current tiers will remain with the possible exception of Sri Lanka dropping down further if they struggle to replace sangakkara/jayawardene/samaraweera who all average around 50.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
1) NZ
2) SA
3) WI
4) Pak
5) Zim
6) SL
7) Eng
8) Ind
9) Aus
10) Bang

Lock it in.
WW says windies bowling attack will effectively consist of Steyn, Ambrose, Murali and Shannon Gabriel. There's no way anyone but Southee, Kuggs and Mills can top that.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
NZ will be top 3.

No need to be pessimistic here, we genuinely do have the most promising young bowling attack and there's enough in the batting department to be hopeful.

Kallis is not such a big loss as Smith. Openers are a big issue in test cricket. Kallis is a great batsman and while his bowling is great too, it's a bonus. You simply can't stay at the top without a very good opener.

Australia will up number 1 I think, they too have promising bowlers and I think Khawaja et al. will come good.

Sri Lanka have enough veterans with good intentions that I am hopeful for any debutants they bring in. Sanga, Jayawardene, Vaas, Murali all care enough to pass on their knowledge and skills to the next generation. I think they will surprise us.

It's going to be tough for India.

West Indies, Zimbabwe, England I don't know enough about to comment on.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, because it's not like we have any youngsters or anything....:dry:
Notice how with our youngsters I said we MAY be better. Nobody knows how the young players will react/adapt to test cricket when they get there, I don't know how ours will do so how the hell am I going to know how your lot will do?

Point I am making is you have more better players to replace and as we have seen from Australia and now India replacing great players is bloody difficult. South Africa will always be a strong side they produce enough players but will they be as good as the ones they replace, probably not. If they are you are incredibly lucky.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think our batting will be that bad. Williamson, Ryder and Taylor is a solid 3-5. Add a fresh talent like a Will Young, and you have a pretty decent looking middle-order. Brownlie and Flynn will only be 31/32 in four years as well. Our keeper, and the openers will still drag the batting down, I guess. Southee/Boult will be in their prime as bowlers, and there is plenty of promising players coming through atm with Milne/Wheeler/Henry/Small/etc. Hopefully they don't injure themselves too regularly.
NZ will be top 3.

No need to be pessimistic here, we genuinely do have the most promising young bowling attack and there's enough in the batting department to be hopeful.
Heh, such typical optimistic NZ posts ;).

In theory in 3-4 years we could be mid-table and capable of upsetting the top teams with a good seam attack, 2.5 proper batsmen and a handy lower order. And looking at our current players that would appear possible. But don't worry - if this ever looks likely to occur some combination of NZC incompetence, infighting, injury and general **** ups will put paid to it. Still bitter.

smash84

The Tiger King
4 years from now

England
Australia
Pakistan
South Africa
New Zealand
Sri Lanka
India
West Indies
Zimbabwe
Bangers

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
NZ will be top 3.

Kallis is not such a big loss as Smith. Openers are a big issue in test cricket. Kallis is a great batsman and while his bowling is great too, it's a bonus. You simply can't stay at the top without a very good opener.

Australia will up number 1 I think, they too have promising bowlers and I think Khawaja et al. will come good.

Sri Lanka have enough veterans with good intentions that I am hopeful for any debutants they bring in. Sanga, Jayawardene, Vaas, Murali all care enough to pass on their knowledge and skills to the next generation. I think they will surprise us.

It's going to be tough for India.

West Indies, Zimbabwe, England I don't know enough about to comment on.
So if a very good opener is required for a team to reach the top, how are NZ to reach the top 3 with middle order batsmen opening? :laugh:

Flem274*

123/5
He got the chuck for some random drinking incident last season and is now making cbf runs for Wellington, basically just having a swing and seeing if it works. If his second ball duck against Southee yesterday was in a test match it would win the worst dismissal thread by a long way.

30/3 just before stumps - time to back away from an inswinger and wave my bat at it second ball