• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When Will I be Famous?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The question referred to the point when the captaincy changed over. He wasn't named as captain due to captaincy experience. He was named as captain due to perceived potential. He's an aggressive player.

He's not a defensive captain, mind.
Smith's captaincy is pretty typical-South African - always make sure you don't lose before thinking about winning.
Smith said shortly after he was named captain "I don't have much experience of not being captain".
He almost certainly had far more captaincy experience than Kallis, having captained just about every team he's ever played for.
As Michael Atherton said "it was clear Smith was a remarkable young man".
And he was.
Of course, most Englishmen don't like that fact.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
Of course his elbow-injury which meant he could barely hit a drive off the square had absolutely nothing to do with that?
Exactly. Glad you're getting it. He shouldn't have been playing if he was that badly injured.
Richard said:
Just because, unlike most people, he wasn't willing to deliberately hit one straight up, he gets called "selfish" because he's got "history".
Ooo. Someone's getting a bit catty. Me like.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Exactly. Glad you're getting it. He shouldn't have been playing if he was that badly injured.
C'mon brainiac - he was quite fit at the start of the game, then it got much, much worse on, IIRR, the third-day.
Ooo. Someone's getting a bit catty. Me like.
Err... uh?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Kallis is uncharismatic and not the greatest of entertainers, but I don't care as long as he keeps frustrating opposition supporters and scoring hatfuls of runs.. He's won us 10X more games than he has cost us..

archie mac

International Coach
Blaze said:
Richie Benaud - The man
Richard Hadlee- Seemed nice enough
Martin Crowe- Bowled to him at lunch at a game as a kid, he was very nice.
Ken Rutherford- ********
Henry Olonga - Top guy

There are a few others who I can't think of off the top of my head.

Oh Chris Cairns- Genuinely good bloke.
I was expecting a Giles story :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Kallis is uncharismatic and not the greatest of entertainers, but I don't care as long as he keeps frustrating opposition supporters and scoring hatfuls of runs.. He's won us 10X more games than he has cost us..
If Kallis has ever cost a game for SA I'll eat my computer.
There's absolutely no way they'd have won either of the 2 games he's recently been castigated for (Centurion 2004\05 and SCG 2005\06) after the amount of rain in both of them.
He has, however, contributed to many a victory.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
He almost certainly had far more captaincy experience than Kallis, having captained just about every team he's ever played for.
AFAIK, he didn't captain Western Province, which is the team he played for before he was selected to the captaincy.

Blaze

Banned
Langeveldt said:

I like Kallis, he got bagged a lot from Aussie fans on an Australian forum I view from time to time just like Murali (and all the good players) do. It is something (the criticism) he should take as a complement IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
AFAIK, he didn't captain Western Province, which is the team he played for before he was selected to the captaincy.
No, I don't think he did.
He did, however, captain just about every age-group side he ever played for, including such like u17 teams at 14 or something.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
C'mon brainiac - he was quite fit at the start of the game, then it got much, much worse on, IIRR, the third-day.
Pseudo-insults not necessary. (The blatant insult of Piscine a while back wasn't either btw.)
He came to the crease after the third day. If he was in such a state (and this is the team management's fault, not Kallis'), he shouldn't have been batting that high up the order.
Richard said:
Err... uh?
You're very passionate in defence of this Kallis lad.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Blaze said:
I like Kallis, he got bagged a lot from Aussie fans on an Australian forum I view from time to time just like Murali (and all the good players) do. It is something (the criticism) he should take as a complement IMO.
How on Earth anyone could possibly suggest Murali should enjoy this rubbish is beyond me.

Blaze

Banned
Richard said:
How on Earth anyone could possibly suggest Murali should enjoy this rubbish is beyond me.

I was talking about Kallis. Murali is a completely different kettle of fish. I wouldn't hold it against him if he decides to never tour Aus again.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Pseudo-insults not necessary. (The blatant insult of Piscine a while back wasn't either btw.)
It's never neccessary.
You I'd hope can take it as playful banter between two long-standing forum-members.
With me and that fool - of course, he's never insulted most people on the forum countless times, has he?
He came to the crease after the third day. If he was in such a state (and this is the team management's fault, not Kallis'), he shouldn't have been batting that high up the order.
No, he shouldn't.
It was not his fault. If he were told to go in, he goes in.
They cannot tell him to go in then play in a way his injury does not allow him to play.
You're very passionate in defence of this Kallis lad.
I'm passionate in defence of anyone I feel has unfair criticism.
Like Atherton with EXD.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Blaze said:
I was talking about Kallis. Murali is a completely different kettle of fish. I wouldn't hold it against him if he decides to never tour Aus again.
OK... he's a completely different kettle of fish. Sorry, I didn't quite understand your post properly.
I don't think anyone can seriously enjoy banter, though... except serious masichists like Smith.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
Well I never...
Seriously - I've met him twice. He was friendly, approachable, willing to chat to fans - but don't ever shake his hand. He has the most obscenely large and strong hands, ever.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Barney Rubble said:
Seriously - I've met him twice. He was friendly, approachable, willing to chat to fans - but don't ever shake his hand. He has the most obscenely large and strong hands, ever.
Well on-track to be the greatest slipper since Bobby Simpson.