• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's eating Virat Kohli

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Game against spin declined drastically. Still think he is great against pacers if they r not Jimmy ofc. He looks lost against left arm spin & wrist spin. Probably needs to play slog sweep or inside out as a release shot otherwise this is gonna get worse.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I wrote this in a post in the 2nd test thread for Ind V NZ. He seems to have been bitten by the perfectionist bug. He is more concerned about playing every ball the right way than just concentrating on making runs however he can. He has also a very prominent front foot thrust trigger which means he has no access to most backfoot shots except the pull. He has to relax mentally first. Feels like he is putting way to much pressure on himself.

Gob

International Coach
I wrote this in a post in the 2nd test thread for Ind V NZ. He seems to have been bitten by the perfectionist bug. He is more concerned about playing every ball the right way than just concentrating on making runs however he can. He has also a very prominent front foot thrust trigger which means he has no access to most backfoot shots except the pull. He has to relax mentally first. Feels like he is putting way to much pressure on himself.
Could it be a marriage thing?

sunilz

International Regular
He is refusing to give up captaincy in limited overs format because his market value will decline. More interested in PR activities.

Once he gives up limited overs captaincy, his batting will improve because of less pressure and workload(like Sachin) . But he is getting wrong advice from his close group of friends.

Gob

International Coach
He is refusing to give up captaincy in limited overs format because his market value will decline. More interested in PR activities.

Once he gives up limited overs captaincy, his batting will improve because of less pressure and workload(like Sachin) . But he is getting wrong advice from his close group of friends.
He gave up t20 captaincy. Check cricinfo.com

Chrish

International Debutant
He was so good until all of a sudden he wasn't. What happened
Funny I thought about creating the same thread yesterday but decided against it thinking it might come out as an overreaction.

But wholeheartedly agreed. He seems to have lost it for no apparent reason. Thinking it has been the beginning of the end. Hope I am wrong though.

Flem274*

123/5
IIRC in the slump period he's played Australia, England and NZ almost exclusively and he has picked up a habit of defending wide to tall and/or outswing bowlers, which all three countries have.

I've just had a skim through his dismissals since 2020 and Jamieson, Anderson and Robinson have set a tent on his wicket. He's also gotten out to spinners a bit but that's mostly in India where they feature more.

subshakerz

International Coach

Sachin didnt let his sucky captaincy affect his batting form though. His batting peak coincided with his captaincy.

Spark

Global Moderator
Game against spin declined drastically. Still think he is great against pacers if they r not Jimmy ofc. He looks lost against left arm spin & wrist spin. Probably needs to play slog sweep or inside out as a release shot otherwise this is gonna get worse.
He was never the greatest against spin, no? Cf his record against Lyon in particular. It's more that at his peak, he had his insane natural talent and superb form to carry him through regardless, but now that said form has deserted him he doesn't quite have the rock-solid technical base against spin to fall back on.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IIRC in the slump period he's played Australia, England and NZ almost exclusively and he has picked up a habit of defending wide to tall and/or outswing bowlers, which all three countries have.

I've just had a skim through his dismissals since 2020 and Jamieson, Anderson and Robinson have set a tent on his wicket. He's also gotten out to spinners a bit but that's mostly in India where they feature more.
Agree, though I think he's always been vulnerable to playing at balls he doesn't need to though. You can almost bowl a fifth or sixth stump line to him because he comes at the ball more often than some other players. But once you start having a run of outs you also want to start feeling bat on ball more, which can exacerbate an issue like that. I don't think it's a technical issue per se - i don't see a lot of issues with his set up/ backlift/ footwork etc so much as its a mindset issue for him. He seems to really be lacking patience over the past while.