• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What level of cricket do you play?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Isolator said:
What happened? How come you didn't go on? Not selected or something else? Another question, since you have first hand experience in this area, (this is a very foolish question, but still...) : say I get into my college team. Where do I go from there, and how far would I be from...say, the Delhi team? Okay, don't laugh. :p
Well things have changed in this long time since my "starry eyed" days and dreams of becoming a cricket star :p

At that time, playing for the University was a big thing and thats how one came to know all those wh became the test stars in the 70's because almost all of them played for one or the other of the leading universities.

then the senior division leagues in the major centers like Delhi, Bombay, Calcutta etc attracted a lot of notice. For example, Bishen bedi played almost every match for State Bank of India in the Delhi league. So if you played these matches and did well consistently, you attracted attention.

Then there were some top cricket tournaments, some of which still continue. Moin-ud-daulah, Buchi Babu Tournament of Chennai, Hot Weather Tournament of Delhi etc were very important and almost all the top players of the country played in these tournaments where the top clubs of the country played. Again there was extensive press coverage and more people came to watchthese games then come for test matches today. Even for a St Stephens versus Hindu College Cricket Finals in delhi wuld attract a huge crowd through out the FIVE day game !!

Today, the stepping stones have become the junior tournaments like under 15 , under 19 etc. Players are generally picked from here and graduate to senior levels. Needless to say, it has its good and plus points both.

I think the main drawback of today's set up is that the top stars rarely play with the club cricketers and thus who you know at times has become a bigger factor in geting you your first break than a Bishan Bedi seeing you in a league game and asking you to drop by and see him during the Ranji teams net practice. :)

dro87

U19 12th Man
Italian Serie A
Italian Under 17 captain and Italy Under 19

Italy under 17 is very close to a English county team u15...
Serie A is sort of club second XI

Isolator

State 12th Man
SJS: One more question (apologies if I'm getting irritating) : Is there a chance of getting noticed at the college/university level? Or to put it another way, is there a possibility of moving up this way, or is it just a dead end?

To everyone: How many of you feel like you've got a chance of moving up significantly? Or are you happy where you are?

Swervy

International Captain
SJS said:
34 years ago I was one step from playing first class cricket for one of the strongest teams in the country. :@

How many of you were born by then ?? :p
that was in namby pamby days though :p

Langeveldt

Soutie
Isolator said:
To everyone: How many of you feel like you've got a chance of moving up significantly? Or are you happy where you are?
I need a long season at a good standard this year.. If I don't move up significantly in the next few years then the chances are I will drop cricket altogether..

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SJS said:
34 years ago I was one step from playing first class cricket for one of the strongest teams in the country. :@

How many of you were born by then ?? :p
20 years ago I was 12th man for my state.

Glad to hear there's another wheel-chair critic on the site.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1st Grade Gold Coast; quite a few steps away from being considered a 'contender'; I'm too old anyway :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Isolator said:
SJS: One more question (apologies if I'm getting irritating) : Is there a chance of getting noticed at the college/university level? Or to put it another way, is there a possibility of moving up this way, or is it just a dead end?

I should think so but University, not colege is important and depends on which University. Which is your University ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Isolator said:
Delhi University (Ramjas College)
Great !! I played for Delhi University in 1971 :)

Are you in the Varsity team already ?

If so for how long and how wel have you performed ?

Which club do you play for and which division in the DDCA league ?

Isolator

State 12th Man
SJS said:
Great !! I played for Delhi University in 1971 :)

Are you in the Varsity team already ?

If so for how long and how wel have you performed ?

Which club do you play for and which division in the DDCA league ?
I think you got the wrong impression... I'm not even in my college team right now. I was just asking IF I were to get in...
I do have some hope of getting into the college team, but I dunno about the university team. Never played for any club or anything either... So... my previous question should be considered as an "if I were to..." question. Sorry. :p

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Isolator said:
I think you got the wrong impression... I'm not even in my college team right now. I was just asking IF I were to get in...
I do have some hope of getting into the college team, but I dunno about the university team. Never played for any club or anything either... So... my previous question should be considered as an "if I were to..." question. Sorry. :p
Join a good club. I can reccomend some. Madras CC, Sonnet CC are two that come readily to mind. That will do more for your cricket than anything else including improving your chances of playing for the college team.

In our days, Ramjas wasnt a strong cricket team I dont know how it is today. But its not bad to start in a team like that then go to a stronger one and have no chance of selection.

Isolator

State 12th Man
Okay, thanks. I also think that getting into my college team shouldn't be too tough. I'll try for the clubs in my summer holidays.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Isolator said:
Okay, thanks. I also think that getting into my college team shouldn't be too tough. I'll try for the clubs in my summer holidays.
By the way, I am planning to start a cricket academy, in all probability in Gurgaon, in about two years' time. I will be shifting to Gurgaon, naturally. :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
By the way, I am planning to start a cricket academy, in all probability in Gurgaon, in about two years' time. I will be shifting to Gurgaon, naturally. :)
Gurgaon is so awesome. I loved it when I visited Delhi last year.

By the way how much of club cricket have you played SJS and any experiences with some domestic or national players?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Gurgaon is so awesome. I loved it when I visited Delhi last year.

By the way how much of club cricket have you played SJS and any experiences with some domestic or national players?
I played in the senior division (A division) of the DDCA league for 20 years (1965-1985) and played for Madras Cricket Club(where I leant my cricket) and Rohtak Road Gymkhana besides Telefunken CC which I led towards the end of my stay in Delhi. I left Delhi in 1985 for my career in Baroda and though I went to nets in Baroda at Anshuman Gaekwad's club but my job as CEO of a greenfield project put an end to it in no time :@

If I was in Delhi the last 20 years, I like to tell myself, i would have been playing till today but surely I would have played another 10 years.

I have played with Bishan, Mohinder, Prabhakar, Kirti, Maninder, Chetan Chauhan, Arun Lal, Raman Lamba etc.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Domestic Players, almost all who played for Delhi and some from UP, Railways, Punjab and Haryana in the 70's and early 80's.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Contrast to most 16-18 year olds, I think my fitness and stamina is on the improve. Not to mention by batting. :p

I really don`t think I`ll ever play for state, but one can dream! :) Hopefully I`ll make an U-19`s team of some sort. I don`t really mind what level of cricket I play... obviously the higher standard the better, but as long as I`m enjoying the game, and staying fit, then all is well in that regard. :)

And SJS, why did you not tell us earlier! You dog, you. :D

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Son Of Coco said:
1st Grade Gold Coast; quite a few steps away from being considered a 'contender'; I'm too old anyway :D
Remember Scott Muller's over to Valley's Brendan Shinnick, who went on to score the fastest 200 in first-grade history? Or weren't you playing for the firsts that week?