• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is your take on pitch doctoring?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Basically that there is already have a natural advantage in the pitches without needing to do work on them, and it's different from spin/seam. There's a reason touring players do highlight the bounce as something they rarely face in other countries.
No I don't think so. That's no more a natural advantage than Australia going to other places that have lower bounce is an advantage for the home team

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
perth in the summer against new zealand and melbourne in the second most recent ashes down here strike me as two examples of pitches so wretched they were only explicable by deliberate choice

shortpitched713

International Captain
As is your admission your team desperately needs outside help when playing at home to compete.
Nah, not really. Spark's opinion here is correct. As long as the pitches produce results which don't completely skew the balance between bat and ball, it doesn't matter if they, for example turn and offer no seam assistance to fast bowlers. That's within the acceptable latitude offered to home pitch curators to support their side, and cannot be policed due to it's inherent subjectivity. "Traditional balance" between seam and spin is a subjective, indeterminate and probably colonialist complaint. Cry harder.

Having Tests pitches that can barely support 3 days or guarantee draws, on the other hand, is unacceptable and should be punished.

Xix2565

International Debutant
No I don't think so. That's no more a natural advantage than Australia going to other places that have lower bounce is an advantage for the home team
I mean one is a lot easier to play than the other, ffs. Especially when you take into account the types bowling that have succeeded in Australia compared to other places.

The point is that it's a natural advantage Australia have that's as 'unfair' as sideways movement in other places. Yet it isn't really seen as something worth raising a fuss over compared to them.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I mean one is a lot easier to play than the other, ffs. Especially when you take into account the types bowling that have succeeded in Australia compared to other places.

The point is that it's a natural advantage Australia have that's as 'unfair' as sideways movement in other places. Yet it isn't really seen as something worth raising a fuss over compared to them.
What you are talking about isn't pitch doctoring though, neither in Australia nor overseas.

Xix2565

International Debutant
What you are talking about isn't pitch doctoring though, neither in Australia nor overseas.
It doesn't have to be to have the same effect though, of providing an unnatural advantage to the home side. Which is ultimately what people complain about with pitch 'doctoring', apart from intentions (which involves mind reading and selective ignorance of history).

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
It doesn't have to be to have the same effect though, of providing an unnatural advantage to the home side. Which is ultimately what people complain about with pitch 'doctoring', apart from intentions (which involves mind reading and selective ignorance of history).
How is it an unnatural advantage?

TheJediBrah

Australian pitches bouncing more is not a natural advantage for Australia any more than the ball bouncing less is a natural advantage for other teams whenever Australia tours there. One is not "a lot easier to play than the other", the reason it's an advantage is the players grow up getting used to a certain style of pitches and the touring team doesn't.

Literally every country has a natural advantage in this regard, in that they have grown up used to their home conditions. Australian pitches having a bit more bounce is not a special case, which is what it sounds like you are trying to say unless I'm misunderstanding?

Last edited:

Xix2565

International Debutant
How is it an unnatural advantage?
It's not a common feature of pitches across the world? So it's unnatural in that sense, or abnormal if you prefer a different word.
Australian pitches bouncing more is not a natural advantage for Australia any more than the ball bouncing less is a natural advantage for other teams whenever Australia tours there. One is not "a lot easier to play than the other", the reason it's an advantage is the players grow up getting used to a certain style of pitches and the touring team doesn't.

Literally every country has a natural advantage in this regard, in that they have grown up used to their home conditions. Australian pitches having a bit more bounce is not a special case, which is what it sounds like you are trying to say unless I'm misunderstanding?
It absolutely is, to pretend otherwise is basically being a flat earther lol. It's a lot easier to make the adjustment towards pitches with lower bounce than the other way round, because it's a lot easier to bat when the ball isn't always bouncing more than what most people expect it to across the world. Just like how it's easier to bat on flat wickets vs seaming/spinning wickets. To pretend Australia is similarly disadvantaged with regards to bounce when travelling is weird, when that's never been the main issue with troubles overseas.

TheJediBrah

It's not a common feature of pitches across the world? So it's unnatural in that sense, or abnormal if you prefer a different word.

It absolutely is, to pretend otherwise is basically being a flat earther lol. It's a lot easier to make the adjustment towards pitches with lower bounce than the other way round, because it's a lot easier to bat when the ball isn't always bouncing more than what most people expect it to across the world. Just like how it's easier to bat on flat wickets vs seaming/spinning wickets. To pretend Australia is similarly disadvantaged with regards to bounce when travelling is weird, when that's never been the main issue with troubles overseas.
I've been trying to give you the benefit of the doubt but not sure that's possible anymore. You couldn't be more wrong and this is one of the dumbest takes I've seen in a long time.

If you really think it's significantly harder for overseas batsman to adjust to Australian conditions than vice versa, you're basically the Indian version of casual Aussie fans who think every standard Indian pitch that turns is cheating

Last edited:

Xix2565

International Debutant
I think if you believe somehow that the extra bounce is not a big advantage you're basically incapable of understanding cricket.

Is it cheating to have such advantages about how the ball behaves on pitches? For me it's part of the game with playing around the world, but you can't just call out one of them as 'cheating' or whatever and then pretend like the other advantages are totally fine, regardless of how they came about. Just suck it up and watch (or play).

TheJediBrah

I think if you believe somehow that the extra bounce is not a big advantage you're basically incapable of understanding cricket.
Bro every home condition is an advantage. That's why it's easier to play at home. There's nothing special about Australia having more bounce. It disadvantages Australia when they tour just as much as it helps them at home

Victor Ian

International Coach
So Australia has the hardest time adjusting as we have to adjust our play for everywhere but here (maybe 50percent of games) but other teams only have to adjust for bounce once every 4 years. So unfair.