• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is your take on pitch doctoring?

subshakerz

International Coach
Is there a limit when crossing it means an unfair advantage for a home team in preparing pitches or should all be considered fair as long as the pitch quality is not substandard?

Nas207

School Boy/Girl Captain
Is there a limit when crossing it means an unfair advantage for a home team in preparing pitches or should all be considered fair as long as the pitch quality is not substandard?
There is a limit, in theory. The icc has a standard that all pitches are supposed to reach. Generally it relates to safety, etc, which is why pitches seem on average slower than in the past.

The worst part about pitch doctoring is when a team orders a lifeless track because they want a draw. I dont mind bunsen burners or green tops so much

subshakerz

International Coach
The worst part about pitch doctoring is when a team orders a lifeless track because they want a draw. I dont mind bunsen burners or green tops so much
Totally agree. The last test of Australia's tour of India was a great example. Preparing a pitch for no result is shameful and should have been roundly condemned.

Australia's tour of Pakistan was also the same.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I firmly believe that most people simply have the wrong idea on what an "unfair advantage" is. For example, a lot of people think square turners give Asian teams a big leg up on touring sides. It's an advantage but nowhere near as much as people think, and the evidence lies in how many times overseas teams have won here on real rank turners because it reduces the skill gap between spinners.

Imo pitches that make the toss too important are the most unfair kind. One that starts off great to bat on but breaks up horribly as soon as late on day 2 ish. This kind of pitch preparation as well as obviously the dead tracks to ensure draws suck.

Nas207

School Boy/Girl Captain
I firmly believe that most people simply have the wrong idea on what an "unfair advantage" is. For example, a lot of people think square turners give Asian teams a big leg up on touring sides. It's an advantage but nowhere near as much as people think, and the evidence lies in how many times overseas teams have won here on real rank turners because it reduces the skill gap between spinners.

Imo pitches that make the toss too important are the most unfair kind. One that starts off great to bat on but breaks up horribly as soon as late on day 2 ish. This kind of pitch preparation as well as obviously the dead tracks to ensure draws suck.
Isnt that generally the argument against turners though? It gives the side batting last a huge disadvantage

OverratedSanity

Isnt that generally the argument against turners though? It gives the side batting last a huge disadvantage
It's a myth. It is obviously tougher to bat last on turners (as it is on most dry Asian pitches) but if its already tough to bat on on day 1, it's not as toss dependant as a pitch that starts off good and crumbles quickly. That just finishes the test after one innings

I have the same problem with greentop that flatten too quickly.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Also, the day 1 moisture can help the spinners in a very different way, so that sorta neutralizes what you face batting 4th to an extent.

Ali TT

International Debutant
I think the first minimum is that a pitch is consistent on the first day, even it starts to deteriorate thereafter. If a ball is breaking through the surface or there's uneven bounce straight away then that needs to be penalised post match.

Wickets that clearly won't last more than 2.5 days or struggle to produce a result in way over 5 also need to result in punishment as well.

Nas207

School Boy/Girl Captain
It's a myth. It is obviously tougher to bat last on turners (as it is on most dry Asian pitches) but if its already tough to bat on on day 1, it's not as toss dependant as a pitch that starts off good and crumbles quickly. That just finishes the test after one innings

I have the same problem with greentop that flatten too quickly.
Traditionally when we talk Asian turners I think of pitches which are reasonable to bat on for 50 % of the game then suddenly become a minefield. A pitch with serious turn day 1 is very questionable, same as uneven bounce.

I cant remember the last time i saw a genuine 'green top' though. England these days seem to want flat pitches.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Traditionally when we talk Asian turners I think of pitches which are reasonable to bat on for 50 % of the game then suddenly become a minefield. A pitch with serious turn day 1 is very questionable, same as uneven bounce.

I cant remember the last time i saw a genuine 'green top' though. England these days seem to want flat pitches.
I think green top is a bit misleading. I'm pretty sure New Zealand have had a few home pitches that are green but play pretty well.

TheJediBrah

For example, a lot of people think square turners give Asian teams a big leg up on touring sides. It's an advantage but nowhere near as much as people think, and the evidence lies in how many times overseas teams have won here on real rank turners because it reduces the skill gap between spinners.
Well with this, it depends on the relative quality teams involved. You're coming from an India-centric view and for modern India a rank turner doesn't help them against a SENA team, it just narrows the gap in Asian conditions. But for SL or Bangladesh against a SENA team I would argue it helps the home team immensely

Xix2565

International Debutant
Define intention as well, because the curators can give what are 'doctored' pitches regardless of whether they were controlled or independent. Would pitches be less 'doctored' if people knew the curators were just doing their own thing or if they were told to follow a plan?

BazBall21

International Regular
Generally don't mind tbh. Extreme pitches can make for an uneven contest between bat and ball and a game that's over in three days but they can be a leveller which the home team generally won't want as their attack is likely to be a lot better at home than they are overseas.