• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is Your signature cricketing shot?

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Either the cut or pull for me (typical shots for someone lacking in the height department)..probably cut overall. I only really developed the pull in the last couple of years, before then I was almost entirely an offside player.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Sir Redman said:
Either the cut or pull for me (typical shots for someone lacking in the height department)..probably cut overall. I only really developed the pull in the last couple of years, before then I was almost entirely an offside player.
I'm very similar :smile1:

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I get about 50% of my runs through third man via the late cut and nick through slips. LateCut's great because it's really easy to time, just using the pace of the ball. The other shot I have success with is the square cut so I'd have an interesting wagonwheel.

Surprised with the amount of people who say the pull. I never play the pull onless the ball is outside legstump, anything short I just get behind and defend. Unless it's a spinner of course

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
burkey_1988 said:
I'm very similar :smile1:
Yeah. For years I could not play anything off my body except big juicy full tosses. I'm still not great at playing good length balls off my pads but now half volleys and long hops at my body are easy meat (unless they're from a really fast bowler). I've been working like mad on trying to correct it, its mainly a mental thing...I can play them perfectly from throwdowns but as soon as someone starts bowling them I just lose my balance and timing. I can't wait for the new season, I've been working on the mental side for ages (I can't actually practice since I screwed my knee) and I'm trying to tell myself to wait for the ball, lean into it etc instead of trying to flick it.

cricket player

International Debutant
I dont pull unless I am really in a attacking mode,

I describe my self as a classy player I take my time then after i able to see the ball like a football then I try to go for the big ones.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I used to be a compulsive puller and hooker, and that was my "signature" shot. I once scored a 40 - 34 of those coming from the pull. :blink:

Since I've been straightened up with my technique, it'd probably have to be the cut. But its rather spasmodic - some days it can't miss the middle of the bat, other days I swing and miss all day.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
One of the reasons the guys called me the "Jonty" of my time was because of my compulsive pulling. He always pulled even good length balls those days and I used to do the same thing (although at a million levels lower than him). The funny thing is that I am reasonably tall and amongst the taller guys in my team and yet, I always play the pull shot to even length balls at times. But obviously, with good length balls it is more of a mow across the line than an actual pull, but I still swivel on my feet while playing it. Like most guys who don't bat well at the higher level, I am a leg side bully too, always playing across the line, although when I do play my drives, they go pretty fast to the boundary and I never actually miss my drives as much as I miss my pulls.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Signature shot? How about when I hit the ball? :ph34r:

If by signature shot, you mean the only shot you can play, than the block. Other than the block, back-foot cuts I guess. :D

Duncan

U19 Debutant
Nnanden said:
Signature shot? How about when I hit the ball? :ph34r:

If by signature shot, you mean the only shot you can play, than the block. Other than the block, back-foot cuts I guess. :D
:D :laugh:
My thoughts as well.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
I'd say the straight drive or the cut, I usually time those pretty well, but it goes straight to the fielder too much for my liking.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Over mid-on for 4. :p

Although I played the best leg glance of my life earlier this season - only got 3 for it though, bloody long grass.

I'm a compulsive hooker and puller though - only because I can never get into line quick enough to defend! I played a front-foot pull to a short slower ball earlier this season - missed completely of course, but it looked OK........ :D

shaka

International Regular
Leg Glance is my signature shot, although my other shots can seem to be a little woeful.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually, something other than the leaving a yorker shot, my defensive technique is supurb. Almost never get out with that.

Although, I usually do about four of them and hang my bat outside the off stump and go for bugger all, yes, I average a massive 2 in my career.

Chubb

International Regular
Up on one leg pull behind or in front of square, cut past point, straight drive (When I have the confidence to play it it's my best shot).