• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is wrong with doctoring of pitch ?

Do you support home teams preparing favourable wickets ?

• Total voters

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If that's what you mean then India is probably the last place to have a whinge about this.
I think it happens in a number of places. I don't think the last test is an example though. At least not in how things played out. All we got was some random picture. Let's be honest, the whole pitch could have looked like the picture we saw with the 'dry' ends extended all the way through, and nobody would have said anything, and India still would have flogged us.

If it was an attempt to muck around with the pitch, it seemed rather pointless given our track record over there.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
See. That's just dodging the question. It's a hypothetical. How should a pitch be prepared. I'm of the school of thought that it should be consistent. If you change what it usually is to benefit the home team, that's dodgy. If Australia served up 5 Perth pitches in a season that would not be ok. Further, the goal should be to make the pitch itself consistent. Wear and tear will vary it through a game, but imagine if Australia dished up Perth mid 80s at one end and Brisbane 22 at the other end. That's just being a wanker. Making left and right different is wrong. I don't think pitches should be made to enhance a teams advantages. If a pitch is regularly Dr jeckle through a first class season it shouldn't become mr Hyde when a team unfamiliar with the conditions arrive. There is no need either. The advantage is already there.
These are hypotheticals. There are limits. Natural variations are fine. Tailor made variations are not. That is just being bad hosts.
Isn't it difficult to do such kind of pitch preparation not to mention the impact it could have on home team as well ? Isn't the hypothetical scenario stretching it a bit too much ?

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I mean I would think a Board would look to doctor other things than resort to such a long winded almost improbable stich work of pitches. There are far too many loose ends and uncontrollables which can screw the home team. Pitch is not something one can design and 3D print!

If nefarious is the underlying emotion, then they could target simpler matters like 1. Food poisoning 2. Giving a dodgy football to practice to the visiting team 3. Bribe home umpire with long term league contracts and slip in a sandpaper 4. Divert the check in luggage of some players to a different airport and then refuse them replacement pads 5. Deny them entry into common areas and lifts used by home players citing some vague contamination issues 6. Bribe key opposition players with long term league contracts and citizenship

Xix2565

International Debutant
If it was an attempt to muck around with the pitch, it seemed rather pointless given our track record over there.
That's the thing though, what you see as mucking around is basically a normal part of pitch preparation in India in certain grounds due to what the soil involved can do. And I'm not sure why there is this implication that pitches aren't made to suit home teams all around the world.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Personally I don't like pitches that are too much in favour of the home side as is it doesn't make for good games on the whole.

In England we could produce a whole series of green tops, like Trent Bridge 2015, and we'd be very tough to beat.

But would it make good viewing with 175 playing 160 every test. When India tour England, I want pitches that test the Indians against the moving ball but I don't want all tests over after 3 days with India struggling to reach 200 in any innings.

Yes, the home team should have an advantage but anytime you're opening the innings with a spinner, or in England not needing to play a spinner, then that's not a good pitch for me.

shortpitched713

International Captain
That's the thing though, what you see as mucking around is basically a normal part of pitch preparation in India in certain grounds due to what the soil involved can do. And I'm not sure why there is this implication that pitches aren't made to suit home teams all around the world.
This.

Xix2565

International Debutant
Personally I don't like pitches that are too much in favour of the home side as is it doesn't make for good games on the whole.

In England we could produce a whole series of green tops, like Trent Bridge 2015, and we'd be very tough to beat.

But would it make good viewing with 175 playing 160 every test. When India tour England, I want pitches that test the Indians against the moving ball but I don't want all tests over after 3 days with India struggling to reach 200 in any innings.

Yes, the home team should have an advantage but anytime you're opening the innings with a spinner, or in England not needing to play a spinner, then that's not a good pitch for me.
You do realise your army of seamers didn't just sprout up out of the ether right? They're there because the pitches are prepared in a way that suits their style of bowling, and they're the best exponents of said bowling in England because they've grown up in that environment. It's just that when teams can match that level of bowling England start to struggle to win. Pitch preparation has nothing to do with making entertainment beyond the teams having a place to compete and I'm not sure why this idea is so prevalent among people.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
You do realise your army of seamers didn't just sprout up out of the ether right? They're there because the pitches are prepared in a way that suits their style of bowling, and they're the best exponents of said bowling in England because they've grown up in that environment. It's just that when teams can match that level of bowling England start to struggle to win. Pitch preparation has nothing to do with making entertainment beyond the teams having a place to compete and I'm not sure why this idea is so prevalent among people.
Cricket doesn't exist in its own vacuum, part of its remit should be to entertain those watching at home and in the ground.

At its best cricket should be a relatively even battle.between bat and ball and a good pitch should offer something to all types of bowlers.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I love spin bowling but it shouldn't be opening the bowling - that's what your seamers are for.
Why? In an age where even gender based roles are being challenged and getting more fluid, cricket has surely got to move on with such rigidities around bowler roles surely ?

I am glad that India has more or less pioneered this change. And Ashwin being a top proponent. It's actually akin to Srikkanth / Greatbatch opening to use the fielding restrictions which revolutionized ODIs. Maybe even more.

Xix2565

International Debutant
Depends on what you mean by 'made'.
Pitches are not natural random areas in a ground that people magically found and decided was suitable for playing cricket on. They're more artificial than any normal garden in a household.

Cricket doesn't exist in its own vacuum, part of its remit should be to entertain those watching at home and in the ground.

At its best cricket should be a relatively even battle.between bat and ball and a good pitch should offer something to all types of bowlers.
Sure, but what does pitch curation have to do with that? You can make any sort of pitch but ultimately the players who play on it will be the ones entertaining the fans watching and we've seen players perform contrary to the expectations of what the pitches may suggest.

And it's not like Test cricket is this bastion of fairness and parity that you seem to believe.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Why? In an age where even gender based roles are being challenged and getting more fluid, cricket has surely got to move on with such rigidities around bowler roles surely ?

I am glad that India has more or less pioneered this change. And Ashwin being a top proponent. It's actually akin to Srikkanth / Greatbatch opening to use the fielding restrictions which revolutionized ODIs. Maybe even more.
has India been the pioneer in this though? since our famed quartet of spin we’ve generally gone with two spinners usually… in the modern era Bangladesh and Sri Lanka have been the ones who have pushed both conditions and teams for full spin attack

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
has India been the pioneer in this though? since our famed quartet of spin we’ve generally gone with two spinners usually… in the modern era Bangladesh and Sri Lanka have been the ones who have pushed both conditions and teams for full spin attack
Wasn't that a case of simply having no real pace bowlers ? Even then someone used to just come and twirl around a few balls just to take the shine off or so. India, in particular Ashwin, sort of institutionalized it. No wonder he has 150 plus wickets as an opening bowler @ 18.59. Such an underrated new ball bowler :)