• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is wrong with doctoring of pitch ?

Do you support home teams preparing favourable wickets ?

• Total voters

Sunil1z

International Regular
With Cricket being such a condition dependent game like Tennis , is there anything wrong with home Teams producing green tops or dust bowl to give themselves best chance of winning?

I support pitch doctoring as long as the pitch isn’t physically dangerous for batsmen and isn’t sub-standard where scoring 200 runs is a very tough task .

What is your take on this ?

Sunil1z

International Regular
I find there to be a difference in taking advantage of home conditions and preparing different sections of a wicket to perform differently.

As such, I don't think your poll has sufficient options. It's more nuanced than a simple yes or no.
I am forcing people to take a stand ?

And regarding your first point , there hasn’t been a pitch like that . Nagpur pitch was supposed to behave like that , but it was just a rumour.

Shady Slim

International Coach
I find there to be a difference in taking advantage of home conditions and preparing different sections of a wicket to perform differently.

As such, I don't think your poll has sufficient options. It's more nuanced than a simple yes or no.
tbf, this is a once-in-an-ever thing, and as the mustard poured out it wasn't even what ultimately led to australia losing by as much as they did

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
There's a distinct difference between preparing a pitch and doctoring one. The former usually ensures a particular pitch's unique qualities are evident. Sometimes weather conditions interfere with pitch preparation and variations occur.
Doctoring, as the term implies, involves artificially treating the pitch (or areas thereof) to favour particular players or team.
Normal pitch preparation would ensure a balance between bat and ball with Tests lasting close to the full 5 days. This is becoming a thing of the past. Perhaps doing away with the toss and offering the visiting sided the choice of batting or bowling might see blatant doctoring on the decline.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And regarding your first point , there hasn’t been a pitch like that . Nagpur pitch was supposed to behave like that , but it was just a rumour.
The game didn't last long enough for it to make a difference, more likely.

As L&L has suggested, the offering the visiting side the option of batting or bowling might improve things. However, it might be more likely to skew a pitch to the benefit of the home team to try and overcome the visitors gain. From the experiment in the County Championship, this didn't happen, but there's a bit more riding on tests than the CC.

One thing's for sure, terribly one-sided Test matches are not good for the fans or the continuing success of Test cricket. A three-day Test match doesn't suggest that a Test has necessarily be the cricket on show.

Sunil1z

International Regular
The game didn't last long enough for it to make a difference, more likely.

As L&L has suggested, the offering the visiting side the option of batting or bowling might improve things. However, it might be more likely to skew a pitch to the benefit of the home team to try and overcome the visitors gain. From the experiment in the County Championship, this didn't happen, but there's a bit more riding on tests than the CC.

One thing's for sure, terribly one-sided Test matches are not good for the fans or the continuing success of Test cricket. A three-day Test match doesn't suggest that a Test has necessarily be the cricket on show.
If you want Test cricket to be competitive, organise proper warm up games and A tour .
And every cricket board should provide pitches in warm up comparable to original Test match conditions.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you want Test cricket to be competitive, organise proper warm up games and A tour .
And every cricket board should provide pitches in warm up comparable to original Test match conditions.
I don’t disagree that teams should have warm ups appropriate to the scale of the tour. However, touring teams have been given wickets that aren’t representative of the pitches then used in the series, and when that happens it seriously reduces the value of the warm up match - and, given the financial value of the players these days and the risk of them being overplayed, in those circumstances why take the risk with the warmup?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The wicket should have a match last ideally four days.
Come on, six blokes in the second dig were out lbw and none of the balls which got them out turned big at all. In fact the only ball which took a wicket out of the rough was Khawaja’s and he played at one turning away from him that landed eight inches outside off.

the game didn’t go four days because Australias batting was inept against good bowling. There was nothing wrong with the pitch at all.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Shastri said it best, why tour if you are going to get the same stuff every where ? The biggest challenge for a test player is to make the adjustments and play well everywhere . That is one thing that makes cricket so much nuanced than say football (the real one). To his credit and Kohli's they never bemoaned the conditions and pitches at any time. Both teams get to play 11 vs 11 on the same pitch, and both teams have access to more or less same information about the pitch. Chin up and take it on like a pro.

Obviously the exception being Russian roulette pitches that screws every batsman. Also roads that screwes all bowlers.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Doctoring the pitch means to make significant changes to it mid-match to favor one side or the other. Something like picking the fibers of a jute matting pitch, or for a normal soil and grass wicket over-watering between innings, or excessive use of heavy roller between innings.

As far as I know, there's no evidence that such a thing occurs, at least in recent times. On the other hand, preparing a pitch from beforehand to suit one's home side is not doctoring, and perfectly legitimate, for mine. Any other takes on that are just delicious salt water, to which I can only respond "get reckd , and git gud noob".

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Come on, six blokes in the second dig were out lbw and none of the balls which got them out turned big at all. In fact the only ball which took a wicket out of the rough was Khawaja’s and he played at one turning away from him that landed eight inches outside off.

the game didn’t go four days because Australias batting was inept against good bowling. There was nothing wrong with the pitch at all.
India bowled well as expected. But I think most Australian batsmen were terrible, getting out so easily on a pitch with mild to moderate turn.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shastri’s comments are a bit rich given he was coach when India refused to play in Perth tbf