• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is wrong with doctoring of pitch ?

Do you support home teams preparing favourable wickets ?

• Total voters

Victor Ian

International Coach
I think pitches should be anouncd early. A team should not only know they are playing at a certain ground, on tour, but also the nature of it. Imagine booking a table at a restaurant and you don't know if you will be served McDonald's or noodles.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Settle down I'm just correcting your mistake
Eh, the term "doctoring" connotes impropriety. If you do it before the match, and both sides get to use the pitch, I'd argue it's not really "doctoring", just like rubbing the ball with your sweat isn't considered "ball tampering", even though technically it is one of among a whole host of activities that "tamper", i.e. effect the performance of the ball, that are allowed.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Eh, the term "doctoring" connotes impropriety. If you do it before the match, and both sides get to use the pitch, I'd argue it's not really "doctoring", just like rubbing the ball with your sweat isn't considered "ball tampering", even though technically it is one of among a whole host of activities that "tamper", i.e. effect the performance of the ball that are allowed.
You can argue with whatever you want, but most of the time the term applies to changes made pre-game to suit one team over another. Whether it's good or bad or cheating or dishonest or fair game is another matter, but doesn't change the widely accepted definition

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is understandable tbh . We played D/N at Adelaide . 2 D/N Test in a series is too much .
We've now played on a dry track which assisted India's spinners at Nagpur. Twice is in a series is too much. Please prepare bouncy, pace friendly decks now. :renske:

Edit: this discussion is really more directed to Shastri than you btw. You make a goose of yourself if you say "play to the conditions" but refuse to do that when you're on tour yourself.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes agree rolling the pitch for more than 7 minutes tantamount to breaking regulations and would be illegal.

And yes home teams should have full authority to ask for what pitch they want. I have seen that Australian team does not have a say for matches played at home. I think that is unfortunate and should change.
There’s a limit to what can be done with Australian pitches as most are drop ins and basically glorified concrete anyway

Those pitches generally only change in nature as a result of freak weather conditions (e.g. Gabba this season) or when the grounds man has to gamble due to a change in playing conditions (e.g. introduction of pink balls as nobody knew whether the ball would hold together under “normal” circumstances)

Athlai

Not Terrible
Indian fans: what's wrong with doctoring pitches?

Also Indian fans (when touring NZ): this grass on the pitch is unfair

Sunil1z

International Regular
It's as if Indians forget they refused to play at the gabba in 2018.
Are you stupid ? India unlike England plays 4 match series in Aus . So Gabba and Perth alternates as venue when we tour

2004, 2014, 2020 = Gabba
2008, 2012, 2018 = Perth

From next cycle we will play 5 match Test series. So we will play at both Perth/ Gabba

Son Of Coco

Looks like a green deck all the way down the track. Proper cricket pitch.
It's exceedingly fair because it also gives spinners some enticement with dry areas right on the popping crease. If they can fire in 6 turning yorkers an over, they'll be unplayable.

As we've all seen from drop in wickets in Australia, they're generally responsible for the flat tracks we get that produce **** cricket. Them and years of little rain. At least El Nina produces more interesting games.

Son Of Coco

The results of this poll seem to be strictly related to the geographic area the poster's home team is from.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Indian fans: what's wrong with doctoring pitches?

Also Indian fans (when touring NZ): this grass on the pitch is unfair
And NZ fans never whine when touring Ind .
Forget doctoring pitch , NZ don’t play on any venue which remotely assists spin .You doctor the schedule itself .

Son Of Coco

And yes home teams should have full authority to ask for what pitch they want. I have seen that Australian team does not have a say for matches played at home. I think that is unfortunate and should change.
It's not unfortunate at all. Australia still wins more series than they lose at home because the players grew up in those conditions and visiting teams often don't have time to adapt. The beauty of just preparing the best wicket you can under the circumstances you are presented with is the away team still has a chance if they match up well - see SA pretty much every time they come to Australia apart from this year, and India the last couple of series.

I don't want it to be something we do here. Mainly because, as a practice, it's dodgy as ****. Much of the time it's probably unnecessary anyway, and it takes away from the series itself if it does happen.

Sunil1z

International Regular
I don't care about the poll. It doesn't change my mind at all.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.
Don’t care about the poll
Points out how most of the voters in the poll are Indians

Me thinks you are hurt , how so few people support your viewpoint here .