• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is the spirit of cricket?

CartyDurham

International Vice-Captain
Honestly can’t remember. Seem to recall getting in from the match and sticking teletext on to discover all hell had broken loose
Good old Teletext. Loved it but waiting for a page to turn on latest scores was a tester

that was Ceefax back in the early 80s

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good old Teletext. Loved it but waiting for a page to turn on latest scores was a tester

that was Ceefax back in the early 80s
Ceefax was the BBC brand
Teletext/ORACLE was the ITV/Channel 4 brand

I wore out the number 3 on our tv remote control by continuously using Ceefax for the cricket scores (found on pages 340-352, generally). Happy days.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Spirit of Cricket is like common sense. Everyone claims to have it, but nobody else does when something happens that they don't like. Logic doesn't apply, just amorphous feelings of "me don't like"

cnerd123

likes this
Cricket owes much of its appeal and enjoyment to the fact that it should be played not only according to the Laws, but also within the Spirit of Cricket. The major responsibility for ensuring fair play rests with the captains, but extends to all players, match officials and, especially in junior cricket, teachers, coaches and parents.

Respect is central to the Spirit of Cricket.

Respect your captain, team-mates, opponents and the authority of the umpires.

Respect your captain, team-mates, opponents and the authority of the umpires.

Play hard and play fair.

Accept the umpire’s decision.

Create a positive atmosphere by your own conduct, and encourage others to do likewise.

Show self-discipline, even when things go against you.

Congratulate the opposition on their successes, and enjoy those of your own team.

Thank the officials and your opposition at the end of the match, whatever the result.

Cricket is an exciting game that encourages leadership, friendship and teamwork, which brings together people from different nationalities, cultures and religions, especially when played within the Spirit of Cricket.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The spirit of cricket is when you ask the forward short-leg fielder to tie your laces.

Regarding dismissals, if the laws allow it then you shouldn't cry about the ruling.

HeathDavisSpeed

I'm sympathetic to using the Spirit of the Game as against anything that makes life harder for casual umpires working in lower leagues. I haven't played or umpired in quite some time now but when I was umpiring, if I saw anything that was illegal but unusual (keepers taking the ball in front of the stump line, back foot no balls) I'd always advise the player and give them a chance to rectify it - not that it happened often - but calling those things with no warning would just make the tone of the match go downhill really quickly. Some of this 'in the rules' but unusual stuff that happens at international level makes this much harder. Calls over when the ball is dead and low grade cricketers taking the piss about it was always infuriating and now you'll have some lower grade wanker claiming this as precedent.

social

Ceefax was the BBC brand
Teletext/ORACLE was the ITV/Channel 4 brand

I wore out the number 3 on our tv remote control by continuously using Ceefax for the cricket scores (found on pages 340-352, generally). Happy days.
Telelext took more time to refresh than it took Tyson to knock out Spinks

Literally went from fighters being in the ring to result

Biggest wtf in sports history at the time

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's me and you.

It's mum and dad.

It's a ****atoo.

It's standing by your mate when he's in a fight.

It's Vegemite.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Chatgpt prompt:

Please give us rewriting of Charles Dicken's "A Christmas Carol", yet the theme is sport cricket. Instead of Ebenezer Scrooge, the main character is England coach Brendon McCullum. He keeps his players working hard all holidays on producing Bazball.

Yet is visited by the ghost of Douglas Jardine, who warns Brendon McCullum that he will be visited by three spirits of cricket. This harrowing experience will cure McCullum of his philosophy that you need to earn the right to be aggressive.

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
Does it exist? Should it? Who gets to decide what's in the spirit of the game the rules? Why is it that our stupid sport is the only one that still has this nonsense?
I think it exists.

I remember a while back when Smith was being booed and heckled by Indian fans, where Kohli motioned to them to stop it as he thought it was poor form. That's a very kind and spirited sporting gesture from someone who otherwise would (quite rightly) never give any Aussie player one inch on the playing field.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think it probably muddles things in an unhelpful way at professional level sometimes, but the laws of cricket are such that we really couldn't have an amateur game without it.

Without professional umpires and TV cameras there's no way could have a functional sport for kids and social players if everyone claimed catches that fell just short, lied about whether the ball cleared the boundary, fudged the scorebook, attempted mankads every over, etc. etc. There basically has to be some kind of gentlemen's agreement to not do that kind of thing at lower levels, and as Heef said the sport will tend to mimic what happens on its highest stage.

Burgey

It's whatever you want it to be, when you need it to be that thing.

That's what's so ****ing great about it.

Burgey

Without professional umpires and TV cameras there's no way could have a functional sport for kids and social players if everyone claimed catches that fell just short, lied about whether the ball cleared the boundary, fudged the scorebook, attempted mankads every over, etc. etc.
That's every sport. What you're talking about there is just playing by the rules of the game.

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
At the moment it involves having a massive sook over a correct umpiring decision and revelling in abuse of players, not acknowledging them as the better team when they win, second guessing their actions to claim a fake moral high ground and showing lack of respect for opposition by carrying on like a pork chop on the field. Probably the best one is a certain little garden gnome not wanting to have a drink with his opposition "anytime soon" over it (guess some good can come of it :laugh: )

If you pretty much invert all of the preamble you get "spirit of cricket" pom style at the moment.