• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is the most difficult sport to play at a high standard?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As far as new people playing at top level goes, I’d say there’s a big gap between directly competitive sports like football codes and tennis vs indirectly competitive ones like golf.

I’ve never picked up a golf club, but I could get round Augusta if they let me even if it took a week. Whereas if I’m up against pros I just don’t play at all
Yeah I agree. The sports I'd least want to step into from scratch are boxing and MMA, for obvious reasons. But I think people do occasionally get good at those after picking them up later in life.

NFL might be the answer. Quite distinctive technically, especially for a European, and immensely physically demanding. Though I guess there are positions where you can maybe get by on physicality if you're built that way.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Disagree that football is one of the easier ones. It's a numbers thing (and $ in the game).
Goalkeepers, who would absolutely look like the best player of all time playing in a regular pick up game even in a top league of a **** footballing nation, look like complete amateurs playing outfield.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Agree that NFL hits all three main sticking points of huge fame and money, technically specific, and breaking players in half by age 30.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
cnerd might want to think about another username change to distance himself from some of the takes he’s posted in this thread... jeez

Burgey

As far as new people playing at top level goes, I’d say there’s a big gap between directly competitive sports like football codes and tennis vs indirectly competitive ones like golf.

I’ve never picked up a golf club, but I could get round Augusta if they let me even if it took a week. Whereas if I’m directly up against pros I just don’t play at all
Yeah but you could hit a ball over the net at centre court Wimbledon too.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
If you'd never picked up a golf club and got around Augusta in under 500 you deserve a prize. If you'd never picked up a tennis racket you'd be lucky to score a point against a decent county or college level player never mind the top level.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
If you'd never picked up a golf club and got around Augusta in under 500 you deserve a prize. If you'd never picked up a tennis racket you'd be lucky to score a point against a decent county or college level player never mind the top level.
I know Augusta is ridiculously hard, but 500 is pushing it. That's an average of 27.78 shots per hole.

And lots of decent tennis players serve double faults, so even a baby could win a point.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I know Augusta is ridiculously hard, but 500 is pushing it. That's an average of 27.78 shots per hole.

And lots of decent tennis players serve double faults, so even a baby could win a point.
No, 500 would be good. A double fault would come under the heading of "lucky".

Burgey

True but you wouldn't see the ball go past you on the return.
But you’re missing the point. If the purpose of the exercise is “to get around the course/ court” any able bodied person can do it. the equivalent to “getting around” Augusta in whatever crap score is being able to knock a serve over the net at Wimbledon. The competition isn’t against the course/ court, it’s against the other competitors.

You wouldn’t see the ball going back past you on a tennis court, but you also wouldn’t be able to see the pro golfer’s ball from where your own tee shot lands.

TheJediBrah

Ah but if they were playing against a baby they wouldn't need to go for big serves with a high risk of faults, they'd just have to taaaaap it in, hence very rarely, if ever, serve a double fault

cnerd123

likes this
People are arguing at cross purposes here. One discussion is how would a n00b go against a bunch of pros, the other is if two n00bs/team of n00bs could compete under pro rulesets and get a result.

The third discussion -which sport is hardest to get to the top of- will be whichever sport has the most people participating and/or has the most money involved.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I thought the original question was regarding which sport is hardest at the top level assuming you have the ability to get there. It’s gone off on quite a few tangents.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I would say cricket

The mental and psychological challenge of dealing with failure in cricket puts it above sports imo. Theoretically, being dismissed off the first ball of your innings and potentially doing nothing for most of the day must be quite unique in sport

Son Of Coco

It isn't hard for noobs to get pars or single bogeys on regular courses (admittedly pro courses and greens/pin placements are much harder).
Really? You'd have to have quite a bit of hidden talent as a 'noob' to rock up and start notching up pars and bogeys. If you have a background in a sport that requires similar hand eye coordination, there's a chance you might fluke a hole or two, but it's not easy.

Son Of Coco

I’ve never picked up a golf club, but I could get round Augusta if they let me even if it took a week. Whereas if I’m directly up against pros I just don’t play at all
If you're directly up against pros at Augusta you don't play either. You wouldn't qualify.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Really? You'd have to have quite a bit of hidden talent as a 'noob' to rock up and start notching up pars and bogeys. If you have a background in a sport that requires similar hand eye coordination, there's a chance you might fluke a hole or two, but it's not easy.
Short par 3. On the green in one. Definite chance