• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is the most difficult sport to play at a high standard?

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would say cricket

The mental and psychological challenge of dealing with failure in cricket puts it above sports imo. Theoretically, being dismissed off the first ball of your innings and potentially doing nothing for most of the day must be quite unique in sport
Dunno if it's that unique. Boxers can train for months, be knocked out with the first punch and not have another fight for months. In baseball you could throw one pitch in a game which gets homered and you're done for another three days.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I know Augusta is ridiculously hard, but 500 is pushing it. That's an average of 27.78 shots per hole.

And lots of decent tennis players serve double faults, so even a baby could win a point.
Having personally witnessed an experienced weekend golfer take 19 shots to get out of a bunker, I can only imagine what they would shoot at Augusta ... especially with treacherous water carries required. A novice's 18 hole score at Augusta would look ridiculous .. even alongside those who didn't make the cut.
On the other hand, it's not uncommon to see a professional qualifier lose 6-0 6-0 in the first round of a major tennis tournament. The scoreline for a novice wouldn't look as out of place as a novice golfer's score.

RossTaylorsBox

How hard is for a complete noob to hit a golf ball off a tee? I couldn't do it at the driving range because I'd keep bending my elbows but I might just be really useless.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Getting off the tee is one of the easier aspects. The difficulties arise with hazards (bunkers, water etc) around the greens.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How hard is for a complete noob to hit a golf ball off a tee? I couldn't do it at the driving range because I'd keep bending my elbows but I might just be really useless.
It's very hard to be consistent but you can nail the odd one once in a while even with crap technique.

Son Of Coco

Getting off the tee is one of the easier aspects. The difficulties arise with hazards (bunkers, water etc) around the greens.
And it only becomes easier to get off the tee after you've played for a while. An airswing or one that goes sideways is the more likely result. I played with a mate who hadn't played much at all a few years back and he had about 9 airswings up the first hole. There are different levels of newcomers with different levels of hand-eye coordination, but golf is not easy to just pick up.

cnerd123

likes this
I have only played 3 or 4 outdoor team sports and I found hockey the toughest. Cricket second, Tennis 3rd and Football 4th.
totally forgot about hockey. Tried playing it for a few months. Ridiculously hard.

Ice Hockey would be harder I imagine, doing all that + on skates.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
totally forgot about hockey. Tried playing it for a few months. Ridiculously hard.

Ice Hockey would be harder I imagine, doing all that + on skates.
understatement of the century.

Very much disagree about field hockey being hard though. I tried it at school and found it incredibly easy. I found soccer a lot harder but maybe I just have **** feet.

Son Of Coco

It depends. There are wildly varying levels of success too - from multiple airswings to making contact and it going in a forward motion. Age and exposure to sports that require similar coordination are also a factor (see Ricky Ponting as an example). If the goal is just to get it off the tee, quite a few newbies could probably at least make contact. People on here talking about them hitting a par 3 in one shot (even a short par 3, which is around 100-120m on average) are wildly optimistic though. Even with someone telling them which club to hit, the chances they'll make solid enough contact to end up on the green are slim. Then there's putting, which requires touch and an ability to read the greens. Someone new to the sport is far more likely to rack up 4 or 5 putts on a hole than they are to knock it in in 1 or 2. The pars and bogeys mentioned here are, again, wildly optimistic. Every so often someone might fluke it and do something unbelievable on a shorter hole, like make par, but I'd bet against it every single time and be way, way ahead.

To put how good pros are into perspective a little - if you understand the golf handicap system, scratch (0) is supposed to represent the handicap of someone who is good. This means they play off the stick and don't take any shots off their score at the end of the round in club competitions. To be a reasonable pro, you need to be off around +6 at your home course. This means you add 6 shots to your score at the end of a round. So if par is 72, you need to shoot 66 to play to your handicap each week. Even then, you may only be a mediocre to average player on a professional tour. A guy I played with at Tweed/Coolangatta was off +6 at our course, and played to it with relative ease. He play on the European, Web.com and PGA Tours, the latter for the last year of his career only, and while he did ok at times, he was a fair way off your Tigers, or even the Top 100 golfers in the world. He came 15th in the Sony Open one year, but that was pretty much the highlight. His issue was probably the mental side of the game, but it put him a long way off competing with the best week in week out.

While there doesn't seem to big a big physical side to golf, the hours of practice you need to do a day are tiring and if you haven't played before, you'd be pretty tired by the time you got to the 18th hole. I'm not sure how anyone could say there isn't a big mental aspect to the game either. Your swing thoughts and being able to play the game shot-by-shot have a huge influence on the end result.You need to be able to block out negative thoughts, what your fellow playing partners are doing, and forget about the last shot (especially if it was a poor one) to end up with a good result. You also need to be able to visualise what you are trying to do with each shot and have the technique to carry it off in all weather conditions. If you hit the course low on confidence, the chances are you'll have heaps.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

I have the opposite problem. I can't drive off the tee for ****. Even when I get a contact, it swings off either wildly to the left or the right. However, putting and hitting from the fairway or short chips etc. I find pretty easy. Mind you, I did play a lot of pitch n putt when I was a lad and have only played half a dozen proper rounds of golf, so perhaps that's fair.

It was pretty entertaining at the cricket club golf tournament to be in the last group and on a score of about 130-140 but nailed the par-3 18th with the whole cricket club baying for everyone to **** it up though. Par 3s, I can do. I must have walked about 25km that day. Left of the fairway in the deep rough over to right of the fairway in the deep rough. Par 5s are a disaster for me.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Yeah I've gotten several people into golfing with me and there's usually a healthy mix of people who can learn to get it off the tee without too much effort and people who can never drive but get good at chipping like Heef and myself.

I think I'm on record as having the most disastrous technique for driving off the tee on CW, but I can consistently get 120+ yards with a 5 iron from the fairway. This usually results in getting a decent score as opposed to the guys who can drive well but are terrible at chipping and on the green.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The handy thing about cricket is that you can be good at it without being a good athlete. Some quite successful players have been terrible athletes and badly overweight. E.g. Inzamam and Tendulkar.