• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is all the hype about Ryder?

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Ryder ponders giving-up alcohol.

That article paints a somewhat worrying picture TBH, if things are as bad as it suggests they're a little worse than I'd imagined. I'd always thought he was a bit of a silly lad who enjoyed a good night out rather too much, but by the looks of things his problems are rather worse than that.

Something of a sorry picture:

Let's hope that maybe this might be the sort of short sharp shock that sometimes jolts people like Ryder to their senses.
He sounds a bit like me. But I'm not representing my country......oh sh!t, wait a minute.......

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ryder ponders giving-up alcohol.

That article paints a somewhat worrying picture TBH, if things are as bad as it suggests they're a little worse than I'd imagined. I'd always thought he was a bit of a silly lad who enjoyed a good night out rather too much, but by the looks of things his problems are rather worse than that.

Something of a sorry picture:

Let's hope that maybe this might be the sort of short sharp shock that sometimes jolts people like Ryder to their senses.
Gee...he doesn't look like he's got attitude :ph34r:

:laugh:

Is he from the loins of Craig McMillan?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rocked up to Ireland as a self proclaimed "Bad Boy".
Or didn't, as events unfolded.

Problem with personalities like Ryder is that while the fans love him and he's entertaining to watch, his sort is poisonous for team morale. KP is a similar personality in terms of over-confidence but also has the performances to back up the mouth. If you're arrogant but aren't performing, the rest of team would rather be without you. You just know that the rest of the NZ team knew this would happen eventually. Ryder looks like a pretty talented player but, as Pakistan has shown for many years, a squad full of talented players doesn't guarantee success if the playing group isn't a team.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Or didn't, as events unfolded.

Problem with personalities like Ryder is that while the fans love him and he's entertaining to watch, his sort is poisonous for team morale. KP is a similar personality in terms of over-confidence but also has the performances to back up the mouth. If you're arrogant but aren't performing, the rest of team would rather be without you. You just know that the rest of the NZ team knew this would happen eventually. Ryder looks like a pretty talented player but, as Pakistan has shown for many years, a squad full of talented players doesn't guarantee success if the playing group isn't a team.
Pietersen is a different sort of arrogant to Ryder though, Pietersen IMO, seems to be a really nice bloke, Ryder, does not.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pietersen is a different sort of arrogant to Ryder though, Pietersen IMO, seems to be a really nice bloke, Ryder, does not.
Certainly I've long thought Pietersen is victim to stereotypes, victim of people who simply look for labels to stick on a player (selfish\self-centred being one of the most popular choices of course), who number many and go for many players (Jacques Kallis is another example of one of the most unfairly victimised).

As for Ryder, I'd not really want to comment on his niceness - to me, he simply looks not very smart. And people who aren't very smart do sometimes get themselves into trouble the way Ryder seems to have been doing nothing but the last 4 or 5 years. And of course, people like Ryder can be helped, but they have to want to be helped, and have to do something to help themselves.

Trouble is, I have to question whether Ryder is unhappy enough with the way things have been hitherto to want it to change. That's why I say there's a smidgen of hope this might be a bigger jolt than he's ever had before.

JBMAC

State Captain
If Ponting can beat his alcohol problem and become Aussie Cricket Captain then so can this fella

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nonetheless, interesting comparison.

Never really been truly sure of the extent of Ponting's troubles back in 1998\99, other than the scuffle in Sydney, but were they as bad as Ryder's appear to be?

meatspx

U19 Cricketer
Ryder is a full blown alcoholic, and unless he admits this and stops drinking period (no 1-2 beers after the game) then he's going to keep relapsing for the rest of his career. I've seen him in a few bars before and yeah, he can be a bit of a shocker (the sory of guy who just can't help himself).

It's very sad considering he seems to be a nice and shy guy when keeping away from the turps, when signing autographs, talking at the ground etc.

pasag

RTDAS
Ryder is a full blown alcoholic, and unless he admits this and stops drinking period (no 1-2 beers after the game) then he's going to keep relapsing for the rest of his career. I've seen him in a few bars before and yeah, he can be a bit of a shocker (the sory of guy who just can't help himself).

It's very sad considering he seems to be a nice and shy guy when keeping away from the turps, when signing autographs, talking at the ground etc.
Well, if he is an alcoholic then he might need a proper support system to help him beat it. It might not just be enough for him to admit it and try to stop drinking, but for those around him to help him out and professional help as well. Or he's just an immature party boy who likes to drink without thinking of the consequenses. I'd assume it's the latter btw, but I don't know much about it to comment.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Well, if he is an alcoholic then he might need a proper support system to help him beat it. It might not just be enough for him to admit it and try to stop drinking, but for those around him to help him out and professional help as well. Or he's just an immature party boy who likes to drink without thinking of the consequenses. I'd assume it's the latter btw, but I don't know much about it to comment.
Not sure whether the two are mutually exclusive, TBH.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's surprising how many seeming immature party-boys are actually something much worse. And also how few people realise - least of all themselves.

Alcoholism isn't always obvious - often because it's not the nicest thing to have to confront.