• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What does Kohli need to surpass Tendulkar?

Victor Ian

International Coach
That's a nice graph. I'd like to see one for Australia if you can bothered. Not to hammer home "Australia blaa blaa blaa" but just to see if those steep cliffs of the Indian one are abnormal. Do the peaks coincide with runs of home tests? How is India No1 in 95/96. Wasn't that when the baton for No1 passed from West Indies dynasty to Australia's developing dynasty. What was India doing then that has them in the game?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not touring Australia. The gaps between certain sides touring back then was awful. We didn’t see India here between 91/92 and 99/00, as an example. I think there was a big gap between us going there too.

Last edited:

shifty_eyes

U19 12th Man
Does India have more wins than losses in their 70 year history?
Its almost 90 years, and no. Yes if you count past 3-4 decades. Considering other teams were already well established when India started playing, no one expected them to win much early. I have been watching cricket since 2007 only and have seen India mostly win :). And pretty much convinced this will continue in future as well with few ups and downs :cool:.
That's a nice graph. I'd like to see one for Australia if you can bothered. Not to hammer home "Australia blaa blaa blaa" but just to see if those steep cliffs of the Indian one are abnormal. Do the peaks coincide with runs of home tests? How is India No1 in 95/96. Wasn't that when the baton for No1 passed from West Indies dynasty to Australia's developing dynasty. What was India doing then that has them in the game?
Will try. No, the Rank indication is for India reaching rank 1 in that particular season, and not necessarily ending the season with rank 1.

shifty_eyes

U19 12th Man
Sometime peaks in the chart can be misleading since it does not take quality of the opposition into account, but most part its pretty much accurate.

the big bambino

International Captain
India had a mix of excellent and awful cricketers when they debuted. A decade that produced for them players like Amar Singh, Nissar, Merchant, Mushtaq Ali, Hazare, Amarnath, Mankad and Nayudu ( though past his best when test cricket arrived for India) is quite a strong nucleus for a new team. Apart from a few the rest of the team was generally sub standard.

Burgey

Are we all finally agreed that for Kohli to surpass Tendulkar he needs to:

a. be less demonstrative on the field;
b. never give any semblance of himself to the fans who adore him;
c. play on for several years too long in order to reach a milestone, to the detriment of his team;
d. suffer selective deafness where one of his own players acts up, only to lecture the rest of the world about the spirit of the game;
e. never move from his preferred place in the batting line up, even if the team needs him to;
f. something, something unprecedented pressure because people like him, even though other ****s got shot at in wars and still played cricket?

Edit:

g. Not perform in WC finals.

Last edited:

Bolo

State Captain
Everyone is forgetting Andrew Hall. Actually got shot and therefore clearly the greatest cricketer ever.

Burgey

What about all the little Lankans in Pakistan about ten years back, who returned to playing test cricket after being shot up? Sure, it isn’t having-to-drive-your sportscar-at-night pressure, but it can’t have been easy.

Bolo

State Captain
Na, still doesn't compare to the pressure Sachin faced. That's one or two bullet holes each, tops. But Sachin had a billion potentially sulky fans

cnerd123

likes this
At first I thought Burgey was trolling but now I'm concerned that he thinks he may actually be correct about this, even those he is so plainly wrong.

Victor Ian

International Coach
At first I thought Burgey was trolling but now I'm concerned that he thinks he may actually be correct about this, even those he is so plainly wrong.
What? Are you trying to say that bullets are NOT worse than admiration?

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Could you explain why he is wrong, point by point. Because from an unbiased point of view, it seems like Tendulkar was a hack.

cnerd123

likes this
What? Are you trying to say that bullets are NOT worse than admiration?
How could you even compare the two to begin with? It's not the same kind of pressure. I wouldn't even call the bullets thing 'pressure', it's fear. It's living life in fear and trying to overcome that.

Kinda insulting to the Sri Lankans and the like of Andrew Hall to even bring what they've been through into this conversation to begin with. Fearing for you life is such a totally different experience, why on Earth would you even bring that up as a legitimate point to begin with.

Which is why I say, I thought Burgey was clearly trolling, but it seems to be that him and a few others seem to genuinely buy into these arguments, which is disconcerting.