• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What Australian Team would you select to tour South Africa

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Interesting to see some Magoffin advocates in the first few posts. Can't say I was hugely impressed by him up here in 2008. He been pulling up many trees down there this year? Not in the first flush of youth either. Nannes looked to have more about him, even if he is a couple of years older.

pup11

International Coach
Interesting to see some Magoffin advocates in the first few posts. Can't say I was hugely impressed by him up here in 2008. He been pulling up many trees down there this year? Not in the first flush of youth either. Nannes looked to have more about him, even if he is a couple of years older.
Magoffin is only 29, and he has been prolific in FC cricket for last two or three seasons in a row, he is a very accurate bowler, almost in the same mould as a Clark, he is one of those seamers who has this ability to extract the slightest of help from the deck, and in the South African conditions he could prove to be really handy, especially considering the fact that there is a chance that Clark might be unavailable for the tour.

For Nannes to make his Aussie debut Australia would have to suffer from a huge injury crisis among their fast bowling ranks, agreed Nannes has been brilliant for the Vics but at the age of 32 he is just not an option, and on top of that he has this tendency of losing his radar every now and then.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Magoffin is only 29, and he has been prolific in FC cricket for last two or three seasons in a row, he is a very accurate bowler, almost in the same mould as a Clark, he is one of those seamers who has this ability to extract the slightest of help from the deck, and in the South African conditions he could prove to be really handy, especially considering the fact that there is a chance that Clark might be unavailable for the tour.

For Nannes to make his Aussie debut Australia would have to suffer from a huge injury crisis among their fast bowling ranks, agreed Nannes has been brilliant for the Vics but at the age of 32 he is just not an option, and on top of that he has this tendency of losing his radar every now and then.
Couldn't land two balls on the same spot when I saw him playing for Surrey at The Oval. Nannes ****s on him but good thing is that Dirk will be a Dutch international come Spring.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Now that my boy is gone. I'll work something like this, subject to fitness & form.

Katich
M Hussey
Ponting
Hodge
Clarke
D Hussey/Symonds
Haddin
Noffke
Johnson
Siddle
Clark

Jaques
D Hussey/Symonds
Hilfenhaus/Bollinger
McGain

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is Noffke even going to be fit for the tour? Plus has he actually done anything of note since the last shield season to force his way into the team/squad?

howardj

International Coach
I'm betting this will be the squad of 14

Hughes
Jaques
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Haddin
Hauritz
McGain
Clark
Johnson
Siddle
Bollinger

pup11

International Coach
Now that my boy is gone. I'll work something like this, subject to fitness & form.

Katich
M Hussey
Ponting
Hodge
Clarke
D Hussey/Symonds
Haddin
Noffke
Johnson
Siddle
Clark

Jaques
D Hussey/Symonds
Hilfenhaus/Bollinger
McGain
Mike Hussey is not going to open the batting in test cricket, so we should just forget about that, then neither is Noffke fit and nor would he have enough cricket under his belt before the squad for the tour is picked in order to have any realistic chances of being selected, and Hodge has also apparently done a Noffke by slamming the selectors for ignoring him, hence jeopardising his future in Australian colours.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Really do think it picks itself.

Jaques
Katich
Ponting
Hussey M
Clarke
Symonds
Haddin
Johnson
Hauritz
Clark
Siddle

Hughes (basically for experience)
McDonald (unless Watson is fit)
McGain
Bollinger (unless they become convinced by Hilfenhaus during the OD series)

pup11

International Coach
I'm betting this will be the squad of 14

Hughes
Jaques
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Haddin
Hauritz
McGain
Clark
Johnson
Siddle
Bollinger
If Jaques is fit and scoring runs for the Blues, then i don't think Hughes would make it to the squad, they might instead opt for reserve middle-order batsman in David Hussey or they might just persist with McDonald , Clark and McGain" selections too atm are just wishful thinking, because both McGain and Clark, would have to play a few Shield games in order to prove their fitness and form ( holds true more in McGain' case) to make it into the squad, and since test squads on away tours are likely to comprise of 15 players, i guess Hilfenhaus too would make it into the squad.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The 15 I suspect to make it.
Phillip Jaques
Simon Katich
Richard Ponting
Michael Hussey
Michael Clarke
Andrew Symonds
Bradley Haddin
Mitchell Johnson
Peter Siddle
Stuart Clark
Douglas Bollinger
Benjamin Hilfenhaus
Andrew McDonald
Phillip Hughes
Jason Krejza

pup11

International Coach
The 15 I suspect to make it.
Phillip Jaques
Simon Katich
Richard Ponting
Michael Hussey
Michael Clarke
Andrew Symonds
Bradley Haddin
Mitchell Johnson
Peter Siddle
Stuart Clark
Douglas Bollinger
Benjamin Hilfenhaus
Andrew McDonald
Phillip Hughes
Jason Krejza
What makes you think that the selectors would drop Hauritz in favour of Krejza, i can understand them doing so if they were to pick only one spinner, and he was McGain, but there is no way imo they would drop Hauritz and bring in Krejza for him, just after having replaced Krejza with Haurtiz in the MCG.

inbox24

International Debutant
What makes you think that the selectors would drop Hauritz in favour of Krejza, i can understand them doing so if they were to pick only one spinner, and he was McGain, but there is no way imo they would drop Hauritz and bring in Krejza for him, just after having replaced Krejza with Haurtiz in the MCG.
Yes, you're right, the selectors definitely want to save face and make a 'good selection' in terms of selection policy, rather than a 'good selection in terms of picking the best XI to win us the game which should always be the objective.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
If McGain is fit and bowling I'm certain they'll pick him and he'll start. I doubt a great deal of faith will be shown in Hauritz, even though he bowled alright for the most part against SA at home, and they won't go in without a spinner unless it's expected to be a very seam-friendly surface.

If McGain isn't fit and ready, it'll be the lineup Vic posted. Same team as the SCG, just with Clark and Symonds back in for Bollinger and McDonald, and Jaques replacing Hayden. Very easy selection decisions aside from the McGain one which will be a bit of a punt since he's coming back from injury and hasn't played a test. Hughes, McDonald and Bollinger will all go on the tour.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Hmm...I'm a big fan of Andrew Symonds, but his fitness after surgery may be problem, as could his form.

If he is fit and firing, then I'd select him. The same goes for Phil Jaques.

If not, then you could either pick Andrew McDonald for the sake of continuity, or even Marcus North (though it'd be a brave move) for the allrounder's spot and leave the opening position to Chris Rogers (despite my misgivings) or Phil Hughes.

pup11

International Coach
If McGain is fit and bowling I'm certain they'll pick him and he'll start. I doubt a great deal of faith will be shown in Hauritz, even though he bowled alright for the most part against SA at home, and they won't go in without a spinner unless it's expected to be a very seam-friendly surface.

If McGain isn't fit and ready, it'll be the lineup Vic posted. Same team as the SCG, just with Clark and Symonds back in for Bollinger and McDonald, and Jaques replacing Hayden. Very easy selection decisions aside from the McGain one which will be a bit of a punt since he's coming back from injury and hasn't played a test. Hughes, McDonald and Bollinger will all go on the tour.
Would be pretty pissed if Hilfenhaus is ignored though, especially if he does well in the upcoming ODI', anyways why is Bollinger not in the ODI squad atm, even after the injury to Siddle, Harris was prefered over Bollinger, is Bollinger not viewed as much of a limited overs option...?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Although Bollinger performance @ the SCG wasn't the best guide to judge how he has being bowling over the past year for NSW and although it would be harsh to not take him to SA.

I really think Hilfenhaus should go, he really is a natural swing bowler with good pace as well & given that in 02 & 06 it swung alot in SA (although 02 some of the pitches tended to really flatted out as the days went by). A bowler with his abilities is a must pick.