• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What are some of the greatest cricket stories?

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
I'll name a few.

Nathan Lyon's journey - from being curator to becoming the lead spin bowler of Australia.

Another thing that comes to my mind is Bradman's average(although it's technically not a "story"), it's such a magical number. I prefer "reading" about Bradman, I don't watch any of the rare footages of him playing cricket because it's almost like it might ruin the imagination I have about cricket in those days.

Also, Domnic Joseph's "bullet-maker-turned-bowler" story is a must-read:
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/a-bullet-maker-turned-bowler-707859

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The time that Mitchell Santner came out to bat in a first class match, having scored 0 in the first innings against Wellington. Grant Elliott led a chorus of Bon Jovi's 'Living on a Prayer' with the lyrics changed to 'ohhhhh we're halfway there, ohhhhhh Santner's on a pair'

Then Santner got a pair.

Best story of all time.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Answer is Jadeja. From being butt of countless jokes (remember the sarcastic Sir title?) to being one of the greats of Indian cricket.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I love Eddie Paynter's Bodyline story.

It's probably been rehashed a million times, but there's something very "boy's own" about a chap literally climbing from his hospital bed when his country needed him.

The story I've heard is he went into the 4th test with a sore throat which developed into tonsillitis as the match progressed and, running a temperature of something silly, he was admitted to a Brisbane hospital. However when the English XI lost their 5th wicket still well in the red he got a taxi to the ground, had a quick shower and, fortified by raw eggs, brandy and champagne, secured a narrow lead before falling for 83 and then returning to his sick bed.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I’m a sucker for the stories of guys coming from tough financial situations.

Yadav, Jaiswal and Siraj for example.

The odds are so stacked against them it’s really incredible they make it to professional cricket at all. For every one of these guys there’s gotta be literally thousands that just can’t do it due to situations beyond their control.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Tauseef Ahmed was recommended by a friend of a cricketer and was given a try at the nets. He proved to be better than the selected Test spinner and was chosen over him. On his debut vs Australia, he snatched 7 valuable wickets and became a regular thereafter.

cnerd123

likes this
I have to mention the Australian players betting on themselves to lose at 500/1 vs England and then going on to lose the game. Bob Willis and Ian Botham's test match, Headingly 1981.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
A douchebag to teenage Kapil: We don't have fast bowlers in India. We only have spinners.

And we know the rest. BTW, I know the name of the douchebag, but don't think it's worth naming him. To me, he is like the Voldemort of Indian cricket.

Last edited: