• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies and India in New Zealand

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chris Gayle is the only West Indian batsman to have any amount of success against New Zealand, averaging oevr 60. Unfortunately for the West Indies Sarwan, Chanderpaul and Bravo have all underperformed with the bat when it comes to facing New Zealand bowlers.

pup11

International Coach
Chris Gayle is the only West Indian batsman to have any amount of success against New Zealand, averaging oevr 60. Unfortunately for the West Indies Sarwan, Chanderpaul and Bravo have all underperformed with the bat when it comes to facing New Zealand bowlers.
All that could change this time around though, especially considering the kind of form Chanderpaul has shown over the two or three seasons, so its a real possibility that he could carry that form against NZ, but not having Bravo there is a body blow to West Indies' chances of doing well on this tour.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Much of that due to one big innings IIRC.
Made a double hundred a few years back when Styris scored a debut century at #8, but has played a few other good knocks against us too.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
New Zealand conditions don't always equal English conditions though. We played two spinners on a turning track earlier this year, something I can't remember happening in NZ for a while (cue someone linking to a test from 3 years ago).
Yep, and if you watched the Old Trafford test in May (must have been painful) you'll have seen a two-spinners track in England (except the selectors didn't read it). Obviously the two countries aren't identical to play cricket in, but if you struggle in one of them there's a pretty good chance you'll struggle in the other. Whether WI do or not, for me, will be crucial.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wait, so we could actually have batsmen score more than 500 runs in a calendar year this time?

Polo23

International Debutant
I think NZ should win the series...if we dont questions should, and will be asked.

Southee is a definite starter for mine, but I suppose it depends how he does in Aussie.

It will be interesting to see who the other opener is by the time this tour rolls around. I think the NZ A tour to India will determine the opener for the Aussie tests later in the year....it could be a number of people. Guptill, Redmond, Watling, even perhaps Ryder.

I think our batting success will revolve a lot around McCullum. If he does well expect NZ to pile on the runs, it is about time he stepped up in the test arena, and the West Indies may well be the team to feel the full force.

Woodster

International Captain
Going to be a very closely fought contest for me, between West Indies and NZ, but to echo some other comments, it is a shame and quite ridiculous only 2 Tests are being played. It can't even be called a series, how long before one off Tests are taking place with 5 Twenty20 games and 5 ODI's!

I think the WI are improving, the series' against Sri Lanka and Australia were well contested and they appeared to be playing decent cricket for longer and more consistent spells. Chanderpaul, Gayle and Sarwan will again be key and the way they counter Vettori will be interesting. Can't imagine the likes of Gayle and Marshall poking around in similar style to England.

How WI do adjust to the conditions will be key, and one 3-day game prior to the Test series does not strike me as ideal preparation to be ready for a Test in very different conditions.

I quite like the WI attack and expect them to cause NZ's middle order many problems. I was impressed by How at the top, obviously there is much debate regarding who his partner is likely to be, and Ross Taylor will perhaps feel a little more pressure of expectation on his shoulders. Still think McCullum is a place too high at 5. Him at 6, Oram at 7, followed by Vettori shows a solid middle order, and if they trust their selection in Flynn, then why not throw him in at 5.

With regards the WI attack, they will miss Bravo, should he not recover, as he does offer control and the abililty to bowl long pressure building spells, and with the conditions may be quite threatening also. Edwards, Taylor and Powell have the ability to bowl fast and need to concentrate on minimalising the number of four balls. Taylor for me has been the most impressive of these three in recent series'.

A tight and potentially exciting contest, hindered once again by a poor schedule.

bryce

International Regular
Your right, he might not but he should. Oram is our most proven test batsman, i'd probaly have McCullum one below Oram. Just feel that McCullum can at times get too carried away early in a Test innings against quick bowlers and can throw his wicket away which is not worth happening. Oram prefers to get his eye in and accumulate in a more controlling fashion and I reckon that's what makes him the perfect sort of batsman to bat one above McCullum

Last edited:

Polo23

International Debutant
Your right, he might not but he should. Oram is our most proven test batsman, i'd probaly have McCullum one below Oram. Just feel that McCullum can at times get too carried away early in a Test innings against quick bowlers and can throw his wicket away which is not worth happening. Oram prefers to get his eye in and accumulate in a more controlling fashion and I reckon that's what makes him the perfect sort of batsman to bat one above McCullum
I agree that Oram SHOULD bat ahead of McCullum..I just don't know if it will happen. Actually, once Bracewell goes I think some sort of sense will be restored to the batting order.

bryce

International Regular
I agree that Oram SHOULD bat ahead of McCullum..I just don't know if it will happen. Actually, once Bracewell goes I think some sort of sense will be restored to the batting order.
We all hope and pray8-)