• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies A tour of England

King Pietersen

International Captain
Wow, runs for Bopara. Has found some form since I wrote him off a few weeks ago. Made his personal best score in a T20 and then made the 168 off 140 today. I get the feeling he could be next in line for the England squad if we get an injury.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Wow, runs for Bopara. Has found some form since I wrote him off a few weeks ago. Made his personal best score in a T20 and then made the 168 off 140 today. I get the feeling he could be next in line for the England squad if we get an injury.
yes please.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
West Indies A got thrashed by 124 runs as our batsmen went down in a blaze of desperate hoicks whilst trying to chase that mammoth score.

Filthy cricket really, watching our batsman inside edge Bopara and Trego's pies onto the stumps whilst chasing 8 runs per over. If we get a chance to play in the final I really hope we win the toss and bat first, which seems to be the key for us.

shivfan

Banned
Highly unlikely....

The England selectors would rather give a place to an out-of-form favourite like Bell, than to an in-form outsider, like Bopara....
:)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Funny how you say that Bell was out of form and Bopara in form when at the time of the squads being named Bell was averaging more with the bat in all 3 formats of the game this season.

shivfan

Banned
And the West Indies still lost to Lancs....
8-)
Okay, what have the Windies learnt from their A team tour of England, the List A leg, that is?

Here are the batsmen who've done well:

Kevin Stoute 238 runs @ an average of 59
Darren Bravo 172 @ 57
Andre Fletcher 277 @ 46
Devon Smith 233 @ 45
Andre Russell 187 @ 37
Assad Fudadin 137 @ 34
Imran Khan 89 @ 30
Kirk Edwards 165 @ 27

The rest aren't worth talking about....

here are the leading wicket-takers....

Andre Russell 14 wickets @ an economy rate of 6.1
Kevin stoute 11 wkts @ 5.6
Gavin Tonge 11 wkts @ 5.6
Imran Khan 7 wkts @ 5.5
Martin 6 wkts @ 4.9
Lionel Baker 6 wkts @ 6
Dave Bernard 4 wkts @ 3

Beamer

I see it like this:

Ready for senior recognition: Darren Bravo (Steps off the plane and immediately piles on the runs. Clearly on another level to the other batsmen on the squad, I just wish he would convert those half centuries into something much bigger).

Almost ready for recognition but not quite yet: Kevin Stoute, Andre Russell, Kirk Edwards

Still unsure but might get a look in due to desperation: Chadwick Walton, Andre Fletcher (improved on this tour but needs more time IMHO)

Have not learnt anything new about: David Bernard Jr, Gavin Tonge, Anthony Martin, Devon Smith, Lionel Baker (I knew he was awful anyway tbh, this tour just confirmed it), Odean Brown (one five wicket haul and then injured), Assad Fudadin (should not have been there in the first place).

Dissapointed in: Imran Khan, Kraigg Braithwaite (very early days though, he is a victim of his own phenomenal success at junior level), Justin Guillen.

Beamer

Who's Anthony Martin?

And like was said, Braithwaite and Khan not ready.
Martin is a leg spinner from the Leeward Islands who was called up when Brown went home with an irregular heart beat.

And yes, Braithwaite and Khan aren't ready yet. From what I've seen of KB though, it wont be long.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I see it like this:

Ready for senior recognition: Darren Bravo (Steps off the plane and immediately piles on the runs. Clearly on another level to the other batsmen on the squad, I just wish he would convert those half centuries into something much bigger).

Almost ready for recognition but not quite yet: Kevin Stoute, Andre Russell, Kirk Edwards

Still unsure but might get a look in due to desperation: Chadwick Walton, Andre Fletcher (improved on this tour but needs more time IMHO)

Have not learnt anything new about: David Bernard Jr, Gavin Tonge, Anthony Martin, Devon Smith, Lionel Baker (I knew he was awful anyway tbh, this tour just confirmed it), Odean Brown (one five wicket haul and then injured), Assad Fudadin (should not have been there in the first place).

Dissapointed in: Imran Khan, Kraigg Braithwaite (very early days though, he is a victim of his own phenomenal success at junior level), Justin Guillen.
I disagree about the "not quite ready" section to be honest, Russell has had a wonderful time lately, first for Jamaica he took a few 4fers against Ireland and scored a ton, then he continued that fine form for most of his time with the A-team, why not give him a senior call up? it's not like we've got amazing bowlers in his way is it? also Kevin Stoute has really impressed me, his FC stats are pretty damn good and having only joined the A-team later in their campaign he really did make a big impact,

I'd like to see Darren Bravo, Stoute, Russell and maybe Walton get a chance with the senior team, i don't think they would do any worse than the current mob that's for sure.

Beamer

I disagree about the "not quite ready" section to be honest, Russell has had a wonderful time lately, first for Jamaica he took a few 4fers against Ireland and scored a ton, then he continued that fine form for most of his time with the A-team, why not give him a senior call up? it's not like we've got amazing bowlers in his way is it? also Kevin Stoute has really impressed me, his FC stats are pretty damn good and having only joined the A-team later in their campaign he really did make a big impact,

I'd like to see Darren Bravo, Stoute, Russell and maybe Walton get a chance with the senior team, i don't think they would do any worse than the current mob that's for sure.
I could live with Russell getting a chance but Walton is another matter. If he had batted even half decently I would be all for him but he just hasn't put up the numbers. He is very good with the gloves though, I'll give him that, probably at about the same level as Ramdin from what I've seen.

I still think Devon Thomas is our best option when it comes to keepers who can bat, I just hope they have had a close look at his keeping in the High Performance Centre so they can make a decision on him.

shivfan

Banned
I tend to agree with Beamer....

I think Darren Bravo is ready to take part in the tour of Sri Lanka in the autumn.

As for Russell and Walton, I would like to see both of them playing a full season for jamaica (or CCC), because the former hasn't really played enough FC cricket, and the latter needs to work on getting runs. But I do see them probably getting into the senior side next year, if they continue to improve. Edwards had one good score, but disappointed in the other matches, so I would like to see him and Stoute playing another full season for Barbados to continue their improvement next spring.

It's hard to argue against a recall for Devon Smith and Andre Fletcher if there are any significant injuries to the senior side, based upon their batting on the A team tour, in both the List A matches and the longer versions of the game.

With regards to future A team tours, I would like to see Kraigg Brathwaite, Imran Khan, Odean Brown and Anthony Martin persisted with. I also hope they also do well, and play a full season for their respective teams, in the domestic four-day game next spring.