• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

was cricket more fun in the 90's?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Different kinds of crooks for mine.. We don't have the match fixers (at least I hope not), but there are far more totally unpleasant people playing the game at the moment.. Which is developing a soccer like contempt for the conduct with which all sport should be played..
But is it more the case that they are just being pulled up for it now? I mean you've had the Gavaskar and Ranatunga walk-offs (whatever one's view on these incidents were), and various accounts of vile sledging in the 90s and previously.

For mine, conduct that Harbhajan and co. have been involved in are more the result of greater scrutiny and publicity over player conduct as role models nowadays, than in previous eras.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wow Richard, where the hell did I say it did? I responded to Langeveldt's post, because I disagreed with him on the specific point I addressed.

THAT SPECIFIC POINT ONLY.
Sheeysh... "Were better off with your Cronje's for sure." Leaves a fair amount of room for ambiguity.

Yes, in many ways SA were indeed better-off in Cronje's day.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sounds like a regional thing to me, as I hardly ever hear **** used outside an insulting context.
Loathe as I am to agree with a T*ttenham fan, but it's the same here. Anyone who uses it is invariably a racist turd.

Exactly. I see nothing wrong with its use on here if it's used in the appropriate manner.
Slippery slope for mine. "Oh, I was using it in the non-offensive Australasian way"

I don't want to be a prick about it, but I think it's far easier for a word that is incredibly offensive in a country that constitutes a pretty sizeable portion of CW posters just not to be used at all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, it can't turn Shipman from evil into good, and it can't change Cronje from someone who provided a great taint to the game into someone who will be remembered fondly (by most).

Even so, I'd guess that those who were treated by Shipman remain grateful that they were, as well as grateful that he for whatever reason he decided not to kill them.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hmm.. do you think the way I used it made it sound like I was racist?
No, to be fair I didn't, but that's because I know you're an Aussie & seem like a decent sort of a chap. It's possible that if I were a guest to the site I might've wondered tho.

I'm not doubting that the word is unproblematically used it Oz, but up here it really is on a par with the n-word.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For those worried about offending our Pommy chums with the use of the word '****' - a truncation of Pakistani, here's two context giving items of information.

1. Australia's favourite brand of cheese is called "Coon". In fact, on the back of the packets of cheese it states quite clearly, "Australians don't say cheese, they say COON!". This leads to some interesting confrontations at mixed-race photo sessions when the pure bred Ocker photographer asks everyone to say the Australian equivalent of cheese.

2. I was happily walking down a street in either Forest Gate or Manor Park, East London a few years back when I saw a building with the sign, written in unsubtle navy blue letters "HINDI-**** SOCIAL CLUB". The locals walking past looked decidedly non-plussed.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
My best mate doesn't like being called ****. Possibly because he's Filipino, not Pakistani, to start with. He still gets called it though and he still doesn't like it.