• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

was cricket more fun in the 90's?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Uh dear.

I lived in Morpeth between 1991 and 1996, and while I've many times wished we'd never left, there have been plenty of things that have worked-out well for me from 2002 onwards down here. So I don't wish we'd never left as much as I did 1996-2002.

Beleg

International Regular
Heh, true I guess.

Rob, "Paki" isn't an acceptible word in this country. It's basically the same as "******". Used only as a racist insult.
Not necessarily. It depends entirely on the context. It can be used as a racial insult or as a contraction for Pakistani. (which is a bitch to type)

Beleg

International Regular
Aye, 'tis nice.

Yawer - I do know that. :) It's common enough in other countries, but not over here. You near enough never get "P a k i" used by those who've grown-up here in any way other than as a racial slur.
Richard,

A lot of my mates, of all ethnicities, use **** as a contraction. They grew up in England, in Bradford, Salford, and Burnley, and it's pretty easy to tell from the context whether it's being used in a deregatory manner or not.

Edit: I have had the word thrown at me on multiple occasions - ranging from drunken chavs to British Born Confused Desis bent on self-depreciation. In any case, nufan's usage of the word was entirely in good faith and if somebody took offense at that - they should be laughed out of the park.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
**** is also the name of one of my Māori mates TBH and I'm not to keen on this word being filtered.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
A lot of my mates, of all ethnicities, use **** as a contraction. They grew up in England, in Bradford, Salford, and Burnley, and it's pretty easy to tell from the context whether it's being used in a deregatory manner or not.
Sounds like a regional thing to me, as I hardly ever hear **** used outside an insulting context.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
**** is also the name of one of my Māori mates TBH and I'm not to keen on this word being filtered.
Because something is not offensive to one person doesn't mean no-one else has a right to consider it offensive.

Langeveldt

Soutie
For sure, best decade.. Full of not only good players, but characters.. Not ****'s... We didn't have the shadow of Twenty20 looking set to wipe the game out either, or people like Harbhajan Singh or Sreesanth.. SA were back from isolation, everything was reasonably rosy... AAD was at his peak too..

Athlai

Not Terrible
Because something is not offensive to one person doesn't mean no-one else has a right to consider it offensive.
Words like **** and **** are filtered while other words like '******' (I use the term to make a point only) are not, through filtering '****' the use of a racist slur may now be lost amongst other swear words. These racist slurs shouldn't be allowed to slip under the radar and while context should be considered the banning of any members to use these words is likely. Regular filtered swear words however are not ban worthy and just keep the forum in balance.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
For sure, best decade.. Full of not only good players, but characters.. Not ****'s... We didn't have the shadow of Twenty20 looking set to wipe the game out either, or people like Harbhajan Singh or Sreesanth.. SA were back from isolation, everything was reasonably rosy... AAD was at his peak too..
Were better off with your Cronje's for sure. Gotta love a good bit of match fixing with a touch of stump through umpire's door.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
In any case, nufan's usage of the word was entirely in good faith and if somebody took offense at that - they should be laughed out of the park.
Exactly. I see nothing wrong with its use on here if it's used in the appropriate manner.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Exactly. Just because one word is used derogatorally in one country, doesn't mean it should be filtered. Heck, should all languages swear words be filtered? How about Japanese swear words? How about Spanish swear words?

Just get the **** over it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Words like **** and **** are filtered while other words like '******' (I use the term to make a point only) are not, through filtering '****' the use of a racist slur may now be lost amongst other swear words. These racist slurs shouldn't be allowed to slip under the radar and while context should be considered the banning of any members to use these words is likely. Regular filtered swear words however are not ban worthy and just keep the forum in balance.
True that. TBH, I don't know whether it's possible, but it'd be good if Mods could see what words had been originally posted and replaced by stars.

Have long since wondered why "******" isn't filtered BTW.