• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was Australia's Sledging Too Much?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm not convinced we're as rattled as people seem to think. We'll see when the second Test starts.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not convinced we're as rattled as people seem to think. We'll see when the second Test starts.

Let em go mate, when the Aussies get on a bit of a chest thumping exercise it's best just to let them get on with it.

This **** is getting hilarious tbh, I mean Mitchell ****ing Johnson wouldn't even be playing if half the countries prefered bowlers weren't sidelined. One week he is the laughing stock of the world and one good performance (which he has managed before ftr) and all of a sudden he's Dennis Friggin Lillee reincarnated and we're all ****ting ourselves because of his thunder bolts???

I guarantee as sure as night follows day that by the end of this series the masses will be once again crying for him to never get near the Australian cricket team again............lets see what a flat Adelaide Oval deck does for Super Mitches scud missiles.

Australia may well win this series, of that I have no doubt but it won't be because of Mitchell Johnsons bouncers or Englands supposed fear of them.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Lets see how they react in Adelaide. I can see us winning Perth and the other 3 are more pitch dependent. We will hopefully have Patto available for selection by Perth. Adelaide can take a toll on fast bowlers so a fresh Patto would be nice.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Mitch: "I thought it was really good what Michael did as a captain, that's what you want your captain to do, to stand up for the players and that's what he did."

That's right, Mitch, he was standing up for his team. Bravely standing up for the other 10 men out there, against the opposition's last pair, and specifically their scary number 11 batsman facing fast bowlers with their tails up and a 350 run deficit with one wicket standing.

Hero!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Andy Flower trying to have Lehmann arrange for those two to participate in some silly sit down sledging summit is one of the most lame things I have ever heard of. What the **** is wrong with Flower? Dead set this English team is rattled.
Maybe. Flower and Lehmann know each other really well, though, so I'd be shocked if they haven't already been chatting heaps about this.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lehmann has already mentioned he's mates with Andy but he doesn't feel the need to discuss sledging together, and that he will deal with his team and Andy with his team. I doubt they've discussed it much at all. Will never be able to prove otherwise though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Absolutely lol-worthy that an Australian would look to take the high ground when it comes to the media.

Bushranger

School Boy/Girl Captain
Having a hit at the Aus tomorrow morning from 715 actually, and can confirm me, personally, myself and my three playing partners are in fact all red blooded blokes who love some redundant words in our usage. And our golf.

I find it pretty hard to believe anyone would respond to that level of brain dead **** you posted, Bushranger. Does that get under someone's skin? Really? I find it hard to believe anyone could make grade if that's the best they could come up with, though some of the **** that gets thrown around is terrible, I grant you.

Then again, Victoria.
you missed the whole point I was trying to make by once again just another poster calling me a dumb victorian. And I'll say it again. Test cricket is losing fans that's why there is big bash and all the bells and whistles so without the sledging and the snarling it becomes well boring to the casual fan. Fact. But you add the sledges and the verbal stoushs it makes for very entertaining cricket which let's not kid ourselves pro cricketers are in the entertaining business. But as for your comment about grade cricket sledges I never said once they were awesome or get under batsmens skin. They are mostly poor but its mostly funny thats why we do it to have a laugh in the field but every now and then you will get a pledge so good you talk about it for 2 weeks or so. Next time before saying dumb victorian read my post all the way through instead of assuming something not fully read.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm, there's a Victorian in my weekend cricket team who speaks remarkably similarly to Bushranger, and uses the same terrible sledges ad infinium. Given Bushranger's location is still in Victoria, I'm probably safe from the awkward situation of him turning out to actually be my teammate, which leads me to two possible conclusions about the cause of the similarity:

1. Coincidence.
2. Victoria.

And I don't believe in coincidences :ninja:

FTR, my teammate is a great bloke to have around the team, but his tendency to be thick as two short planks is unrivalled. Regularly gets fined for "Lack of Knowledge".

Bushranger

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hmm, there's a Victorian in my weekend cricket team who speaks remarkably similarly to Bushranger, and uses the same terrible sledges ad infinium. Given Bushranger's location is still in Victoria, I'm probably safe from the awkward situation of him turning out to actually be my teammate, which leads me to two possible conclusions about the cause of the similarity:

1. Coincidence.
2. Victoria.

And I don't believe in coincidences :ninja:

FTR, my teammate is a great bloke to have around the team, but his tendency to be thick as two short planks is unrivalled. Regularly gets fined for "Lack of Knowledge".
Hahaha. My problem wasnt my lack of knowledge for the game. The biggest problem as catches can be pretty sharp at Gully/ 3rd Slip (my fielding spot), the problem is putting one down and shouting a Jug at the pub. Hate that...

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Let em go mate, when the Aussies get on a bit of a chest thumping exercise it's best just to let them get on with it.

This **** is getting hilarious tbh, I mean Mitchell ****ing Johnson wouldn't even be playing if half the countries prefered bowlers weren't sidelined. One week he is the laughing stock of the world and one good performance (which he has managed before ftr) and all of a sudden he's Dennis Friggin Lillee reincarnated and we're all ****ting ourselves because of his thunder bolts???

I guarantee as sure as night follows day that by the end of this series the masses will be once again crying for him to never get near the Australian cricket team again............lets see what a flat Adelaide Oval deck does for Super Mitches scud missiles.

Australia may well win this series, of that I have no doubt but it won't be because of Mitchell Johnsons bouncers or Englands supposed fear of them.
Or maybe this is how it plays out: He isn't nearly as effective in Adelaide, and the English media and fans get on his back and think it's a one off, he's overrated again etc (exactly the opposite of what you're bemoaning here)..ignoring the placidity of the Adelaide Oval pitch then he bounces the living ****e out of you in Perth and swings a few to go 2-0 up - having to draw one more Test to regain the Ashes. That's how I see it playing out and I'd bet you good money there won't be any 'his moustache is gone and we wish Mitch was too' headlines by Test 5.

I'd say there will be a few English batsmen cacking themselves in Perth, based on the limp effort they put on a Brisbane wicket that might offer less than the WACA will. Don't worry whether his name is Mitchell, 'Super Mitch' or Dennis, his 150km scud missiles will tickle a few more **** before the series is out.

And supposed fear? Look through the dismissals again...nearly every single one of the nine (yes, he took 9) was pace-induced. Call it fear, call it inability to handle it, label it what you will. Pace killed ya.