• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vote for Five Cricketers of the 2000s + 2010s

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The only excuse for that is if the side was an ODI side, though that wouldn't explain Kallis.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hey we whinge about dumb stuff like Dhoni vs Gilchrist and occasionally **** on greats when we're bored but no one's putting **** for brains Lee over Steyn in any side

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah it's a terrible call unless it's an ODI side. Lee was a very good ODI bowler. Still would be behind Starc, McGrath and Bracken for the 00s Australian side mind you.

TheJediBrah

Hey we whinge about dumb stuff like Dhoni vs Gilchrist and occasionally **** on greats when we're bored but no one's putting **** for brains Lee over Steyn in any side
Lee over Steyn for ODIs isn't crazy tbh. Especially if they use Lee properly and don't bowl him at the death.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
On the Sky Debate show after the days play today they filled the time left by the lack of cricket by picking their teams of the 21st Century. Mark Butcher was host, with Dominic Cork, Matt Prior and a journalist from Pakistan who’s name I can’t remember. None of them picked Gilchrist (all had Sanga as keeper.) One had Kallis batting at 7 and ,drum roll, one of them had Brett Lee in the side but not Dale Steyn.
TBF, sometimes even I forget Gilly only debuted in 1998-99. Its understandable if they associate him as a 90s cricketer, otherwise, its just terrible :laugh:

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
I don't think Lee is that good in white ball cricket. But he is defs better than Steyn.

Kallis is a remarkably dumb choice for white ball cricket. But it isnt a surprising one. Plenty of people outside of CW pick him.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He is basically a #3/4 who can double up as the 4th seamer. Any side which has better options for those slots will not need him.

Burgey

He is basically a #3/4 who can double up as the 4th seamer. Any side which has better options for those slots will not need him.
depends on your overall team balance doesn’t it? Genuinely a two in one player rather than a bits and pieces 5th/ part time bowler and 7-9 batsman. I think I’d pick someone who could do what he could over the latter type of A/R most times

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
depends on your overall team balance doesn’t it? Genuinely a two in one player rather than a bits and pieces 5th/ part time bowler and 7-9 batsman. I think I’d pick someone who could do what he could over the latter type of A/R most times
Definitely. If I had a young Kallis in my side, I would totally look to build the rest of my line up around him. But my point is he won't be as good batting at any other position in LO formats. So if you have a Kohli and a Viv for 3 and 4, then its difficult to find a slot for a Kallis.

I can't believe I am saying this, but I would consider Symonds closer to the ATG ODI XI than Kallis. It does not mean I rate Symonds better than Kallis overall but the competition is a lot lesser for the slots where Symonds competes, than the slots where Kallis competes.

TheJediBrah

Definitely. If I had a young Kallis in my side, I would totally look to build the rest of my line up around him. But my point is he won't be as good batting at any other position in LO formats. So if you have a Kohli and a Viv for 3 and 4, then its difficult to find a slot for a Kallis.

I can't believe I am saying this, but I would consider Symonds closer to the ATG ODI XI than Kallis. It does not mean I rate Symonds better than Kallis overall but the competition is a lot lesser for the slots where Symonds competes, than the slots where Kallis competes.
Symonds is way better than Kallis in white ball cricket. Even before you bring fielding into it. Don't know why anyone would even think it's close.

Howe_zat

Audio File
That’s because we take Tests as a given unless stated otherwise though. When ex players are asked their opinion the default is usually some combination of all formats, because that’s your experience of cricket when you’re playing. It’s a completely valid approach afaic, even though most of these compound the weirdness by just picking on gut feel without much discussion.