• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Viv Richards Voted as County Cricket's Greatest Overseas Player.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
you can only entertain so much when you're back in the sheds after getting out

Maxwell is literally my all time favourite player but I still think people go waaaay too soft on Viv in their assessments for whatever reason. 77-78, 82-83 and of course 89-91. The guy had way too many lean periods of test batting for the reputation he has as potentially the number 2 after Bradman.

And this county thing further proves it for me!

he got 16 tons in his final 100 tests after hitting 8 in his first 21

He threatened to be a god initially but then turned into someone with Mark Waugh level output after 1976

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
I guess as he played for England he is arguably not an overseas player, but Ranji made 18,594 runs @ 63.24 with 58 centuries for Sussex. This compares favourably with most of the modern players already identified, even though he played in a noticeably lower scoring era.

Frank Tarrant was born in Australia and never played for England. His record for Middlesex is a fairly epic 12,169 runs @ 38.03 with 26 hundreds and 1,005 wickets @ 17.43.

Last edited:

tony p

First Class Debutant
Some counties had an almost impossible task just to pick their best 4 overseas player, let alone their best.

Glos, Procter, Zaheer, Walsh, Ian Harvey.
Hants, B. Richards, Greenidge, Marshall, Warne
Kent, Aravinda, Asif Iqbal, Hooper, John Shepherd
northants, Bedi, Ambrose, Mushtaq Mohammed, Sarfraz
Notts, Sir R Hadlee, Rice, Sobers, D Hussey
Surrey, Intikhab, Sangakkara, Saqlain Mushtaq, Clarke
Warw, Donald, Lara, Kallicharran, Kanhai

Viv only had to beat for Somerset, Alfonso Thomas, Bill Alley, and Garner.
I Thought Majid Khan probably should have won the Glamorgan vote over him, but like others have said, One Day , Sunday League, where he was on T.V much more than others, may have Helped him.

Still, it's good for opinion & discussion, and well done to Viv.

As i said when i first started the thread, It would have been for me
1 Procter,
2 B Richards
3 Walsh
4 Viv.
5 Turner
6 Sir R. Hadlee.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Sobers 7,041 runs @ 48.89 with 18 centuries and 281 wickets @ 25.63. For anyone else these would be incredible stats, but his batting average is actually lower than I expected. Perhaps this could be explained by the fact that he played for Notts between the ages of 32 and 38, so perhaps he was past his batting peak at this time.

Barry Richards 15,607 runs @ 50.50 with 38 hundreds.

Last edited:

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mushy and Waqar have massive reputations for their county services as far as I know

tony p

First Class Debutant
Sobers 7,041 runs @ 48.89 with 18 centuries and 281 wickets @ 25.63. For anyone else these would be incredible stats, but his batting average is actually lower than I expected. Perhaps this could be explained by the fact that he played for Notts between the ages of 32 and 38, so perhaps he was past his batting peak at this time.
It was a shame for Sobers that overseas players were officially allowed in 1968, when he was 32, otherwise he may have had a better record if he started younger.

Obviously before 1968, if an overseas player, threw his lot in to play county cricket, Like Roy Marshall, George Tribe, Colin McCool, Bruce Dooland etc, they couldn't play Test Cricket again, although some players had given up on hopes of a Test Career, which is why they played County Cricket.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Mushy and Waqar have massive reputations for their county services as far as I know
Mushtaq Ahmed took 289 wickets for Somerset @ 26.32 and 478 wickets for Sussex @ 25.34, for a total of 767 wickets @ 25.70. That bowling average might not look as good as some of the others, but his bucketloads of wickets played a key role in Sussex winning the championship three times in five years (2003, 2006 and 2007). In those three successful seasons, he took an incredible 295 wickets in just 46 matches, including over 100 wickets in a season on two occasions. Sussex have never won the championship without Mushtaq in their side. Also, he played in one of the highest scoring eras ever in the history of the championship.

Last edited:

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did Viv struggle against Hadlee? I know the NZ record is a small sample size but still. Hadlee (like the other great all rounders of the era except Botham :ph34r:) stepped up against WI too.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Mushtaq Ahmed took 289 wickets for Somerset @ 26.32 and 478 wickets for Sussex @ 25.34, for a total of 767 wickets @ 25.70. That bowling average might not look as good as some of the others, but he twice took over 100 wickets in a 16 match Championship winning season for Sussex. Also, he played in one of the highest scoring eras ever in the history of the championship.
Where are you getting all the county stats from?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This is an excellent thread. I have never really followed county cricket, so its wonderful learning from all this discussion. :)

That Sobers record, any team will literally kill for a player who can score at 49 and get wickets at 26. I mean, wow!!!!!!!!!!

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Ted McDonald won 4 county championships with Lancashire, which I'm guessing is the most for an overseas player?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with Viv as the outstanding winner with Clive Lloyd second. I would have had Greenidge ahead of Richards or Marshall for Hampshire.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Lloyd in second? Surprises me.

The other guys who picked up a bunch of votes can all be explained in logical or emotional terms, but I don't really know why Lloyd polled that high?