• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vernon Philander retires

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Curiously Philander finished with better average than Steyn and better than Rabada's current average too.

Slifer

International Captain
I wonder if he’ll be considered greater than those guys someday? A bit like Alan Davidson
Highly unlikely. Not if people (like myself) rate players on how they perform especially away from home. With the exception of Rabada, the others were great away from home (<25).

aussie tragic

International Captain
Good to see that the 'retired' Philander is 28 not out and about to bowl to Burns, Sibley, Denly, Root and Stokes today :)

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
there will be 18 english counties looking to sign him up if he's interested.

had a fine career, opening batsman will sleep a little easier.
3 years at Somerset as a Kolpak is the word on the grapevine

Shady Slim

International Coach
big vern’s my favourite fast bowler of the generation, just love it watching him bowl (herath obvs my favourite post warne spinner as he should be for any non-sociopath), just amazing to watch... never going to forget how we copped it sweet from him in hobart when they toured most recently, and for a man who gets criticised for being a bully with friendly conditions he made a lot out of a typically highwaylike waca the test earlier

one of the greats imo, even though a lot of the cricket watching public don’t think so... i think the dedicated cricket watchers here are woke enough really to know how good a cricketer he was... not going to start a flame war but i think the criticism directed at him could and should be directed at a certain english pace bowler who has an end at a ground named after him but is still playing today, but hey

that is a different argument for a different thread

for now it’s vern veneration time! right now as i type this, five overs for five maidens and a wicket... the man is ridiculous lmao