• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan should stop talking rot

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/pakveng/content/story/222235.html

"Going to Pakistan now for me is just a chance to hopefully put a few smiles on some of their faces"

Do you honestly think earthquake victims would give a toss about cricket now ?
Andrew "someone tried to shoot me" Flintoff earns more from a week of his book sales than those people earn in a whole year.

No doubt the English armchair experts on this forum will deride me for speaking out against Saint Vaughan - but that's how I read it.

archie mac

International Coach
I didn't read the interview the same way: he mentioned fund raising, and I think he was refering to the Pakistan people and not just the earthquake survivors :)

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
archie mac said:
I didn't read the interview the same way: he mentioned fund raising, and I think he was refering to the Pakistan people and not just the earthquake survivors :)
His comments were effectively directed about the earthquake though -- implying that cricket will alleviate their suffering/worries.

I mean seriously......... 8-)

A lot of cricketers need to get some perspective. These guys are extremely well paid, stay in five star hotels...etc.
They don't know jack all about the way average Joe lives and should therefore keep their trap shut as much as possible.

archie mac

International Coach
EnglishRose said:
His comments were effectively directed about the earthquake though -- implying that cricket will alleviate their suffering/worries.

A lot of cricketers need to get some perspective. These guys are extremely well paid, stay in five star hotels...etc.
They don't know jack all about the way average Joe lives and should therefore keep their trap shut as much as possible.

I re-read it for a 2nd time and still can't see a problem, maybe if he could use smilies to express his emotions, we would have a better understanding :D

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
EnglishRose said:

Why is that wrong? You're aware that sport originated as a form of entertainment, right? The fact that Vaughan is saying that he'd like to entertain the people is a credit to the game not being taken too seriously. At least he realizes what sport is all about.

What would you have him do? He's a cricketer and by playing cricket, he's attempting to do his job as well as cheer up the masses. Is it better that they continue to grieve than allow themselves the opportunity to smile?

This comes off rather more anti-Vaughan than anti-Vaughan's comments.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think Vaughan is showing a sense of perspective. My reading of his comments is that he's saying there are bigger things in heaven & earth than winning a test series.

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Why is that wrong? You're aware that sport originated as a form of entertainment, right? The fact that Vaughan is saying that he'd like to entertain the people is a credit to the game not being taken too seriously. At least he realizes what sport is all about.

What would you have him do? He's a cricketer and by playing cricket, he's attempting to do his job as well as cheer up the masses. Is it better that they continue to grieve than allow themselves the opportunity to smile?

This comes off rather more anti-Vaughan than anti-Vaughan's comments.
How exactly is it anti-vaughan - 8-) ? If any captain had said that, I would have said the samething.

If those people want cheering up, they'll do it their way in their own time and it may/may not have anything to do with cricket.

Mr Mxyzptlk

EnglishRose said:
How exactly is it anti-vaughan - 8-) ? If any captain had said that, I would have said the samething.

If those people want cheering up, they'll do it their way in their own time and it may/may not have anything to do with cricket.
Because it's not a very substantial point. How exactly is Vaughan at fault here? It's good sportsmanship and respect for the tragic situation. Brumby said it beautifully:

"there are bigger things in heaven & earth than winning a test series."

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
BoyBrumby said:
I think Vaughan is showing a sense of perspective. My reading of his comments is that he's saying there are bigger things in heaven & earth than winning a test series.
What sense of perspective ? That people are going to care about cricket at a time like this ..........
As I have said, it would be better if these guys kept their mouth shut about this sort of thing.....a simple condolence message would suffice. If you want to play for fundraising ok, but don't come out with stupid statements implying that cricket assumes importance at a time like this.

Mr Mxyzptlk

EnglishRose said:
What sense of perspective ? That people are going to care about cricket at a time like this ..........
As I have said, it would be better if these guys kept their mouth shut about this sort of thing.....a simple condolence message would suffice. If you want to play for fundraising ok, but don't come out with stupid statements implying that cricket assumes importance at a time like this.
Why wouldn't people care about cricket? You underestimate the power of sport.

When the West Indies won the Champions Trophy, it helped significantly to lift the hearts of a region that was abused by a devastating hurricane season.

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Why wouldn't people care about cricket? You underestimate the power of sport.

When the West Indies won the Champions Trophy, it helped significantly to lift the hearts of a region that was abused by a devastating hurricane season.
And I think you overestimate the importance of sport.......

If I've lost members of my family, had my dwelling destroyed and had pretty much no hope of a future.....do you think I would give a flying <f-word> about cricket.

This isn't hurricane Katrina where Bush and pals will dole out large sums of money as compensation......we are talking about a huge disaster in a poor country.
And I know what I'm talking about as I worked for an NGO when the earthquake struck Gujarat in India in 2001.
THe only thing people had on their minds then was how to get by and I very much suspect that will be the case here as well.

Mr Mxyzptlk

EnglishRose said:

If I've lost members of my family, had my dwelling destroyed and had pretty much no hope of a future.....do you think I would give a flying <f-word> about cricket.

This isn't hurricane Katrina where Bush and pals will dole out large sums of money as compensation......we are talking about a huge disaster in a poor country.
And I know what I'm talking about as I worked for an NGO when the earthquake struck Gujarat in India in 2001.
THe only thing people had on their minds then was how to get by and I very much suspect that will be the case here as well.
To each his own. I could argue the opposite, because I've seen a region of countries united by cricket.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
EnglishRose said:

No-one has said "cricket will make everything better" - but surely if the England-Pakistan series makes the Pakistani nation feel even a millionth of a percent better then it is worth doing?

And what else do you expect Vaughan to say?

"To be honest, I'd like to think that this series has some sort of a point, but with everything that's gone on here recently, no-one's going to care anyway. And I can't see us helping those affected very much - they're all going to be feeling like **** for years anyway."

There will be some people in Pakistan who have lost every single thing in the world that means something to them - cricket is all some of them have left.

There's enough people on this board already who seem to enjoy needlessly getting at England - please don't make it another one.

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
Barney Rubble said:
No-one has said "cricket will make everything better" - but surely if the England-Pakistan series makes the Pakistani nation feel even a millionth of a percent better then it is worth doing?

And what else do you expect Vaughan to say?

"To be honest, I'd like to think that this series has some sort of a point, but with everything that's gone on here recently, no-one's going to care anyway. And I can't see us helping those affected very much - they're all going to be feeling like **** for years anyway."

There will be some people in Pakistan who have lost every single thing in the world that means something to them - cricket is all some of them have left.

There's enough people on this board already who seem to enjoy needlessly getting at England - please don't make it another one.
"Cricket is all some of them have left" - get some perspective laddie, they honestly are not going to give a **** about cricket.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
EnglishRose said:
"Cricket is all some of them have left" - get some perspective laddie, they honestly are not going to give a **** about cricket.
Hmm. Suspect you're just flaming now, but you're presuming to speak for all 120 million Pakistanis? That's some perspective you have there yourself, mate.

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
BoyBrumby said:
Hmm. Suspect you're just flaming now, but you're presuming to speak for all 120 million Pakistanis? That's some perspective you have there yourself, mate.
Welll given that I have worked in an earthquake zone....yeah I guess I do have some perspective.
Think about it for a minute.......and ask yourself again, what sort of importance a cricket match is going to assume when you have lost loved ones and/or your house/belongings/life savings.....?