• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

USA cricket fans...anyone else?

usa cricket fan

Cricket Spectator
I am an American "white boy" who grew up on baseball and nfl. I was and still am obsessed with baseball and hadn't really ever heard of this sport called cricket. One day I was watching sportscenter and low and behold they actually showed a cricket highlight on top ten. It looked somewhat like my favorite passion baseball so I checked it out. Started out with watching the ODI format England games that were uploaded on youtube.Then watched t20 matches online and really started getting into it. I have only recently started watching test matches and I must admit they might be a little too long for my American "gotta have it now" mentality. My favorite by far is ODI and this was my first year to watch the world cup(online). I had to order a channel called Willow which shows cricket in HD here in the states .

I recently got to see my first cricket match in person here in Houston at the Cricket All Stars at our baeball stadium. It was fantastic but I understand the players were past their primes. I really wish that Cricket would get popular here in the states because it truly is a wonderful sport. I wish that some of you from India, Australia and the UK would give baseball a chance. lts a great game to watch as an adjunct to cricket. Once you get past the online consensus that baseball is inferior to cricket or is just guys on steroids I think you will enjoy it as a cricket fan. GIve it a shot! Our ICC cricket team is pathetic so I have no one to route for on the international stage. Usually watch Australia and BBL/IPL.

Anyways any other American cricket fans that also grew up on baseball? Feel like a lone wolf sometimes.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Welcome usa cricket fan.

It's good that you can fall in love with cricket while also liking baseball. Personally, having grown up with cricket, I cannot stand baseball aesthetically, so it's difficult to make the opposite transition.

Hope you sustain your interest in cricket (the governing bodies can make it hard at times!) and stick around here! :)

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I am an American "white boy" who grew up on baseball and nfl. I was and still am obsessed with baseball and hadn't really ever heard of this sport called cricket. One day I was watching sportscenter and low and behold they actually showed a cricket highlight on top ten. It looked somewhat like my favorite passion baseball so I checked it out. Started out with watching the ODI format England games that were uploaded on youtube.Then watched t20 matches online and really started getting into it. I have only recently started watching test matches and I must admit they might be a little too long for my American "gotta have it now" mentality. My favorite by far is ODI and this was my first year to watch the world cup(online). I had to order a channel called Willow which shows cricket in HD here in the states .

I recently got to see my first cricket match in person here in Houston at the Cricket All Stars at our baeball stadium. It was fantastic but I understand the players were past their primes. I really wish that Cricket would get popular here in the states because it truly is a wonderful sport. I wish that some of you from India, Australia and the UK would give baseball a chance. lts a great game to watch as an adjunct to cricket. Once you get past the online consensus that baseball is inferior to cricket or is just guys on steroids I think you will enjoy it as a cricket fan. GIve it a shot! Our ICC cricket team is pathetic so I have no one to route for on the international stage. Usually watch Australia and BBL/IPL.

Anyways any other American cricket fans that also grew up on baseball? Feel like a lone wolf sometimes.
There are a couple of folks who live in the USA on this message board, most are ex pats though.

usa cricket fan

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for the responses. Yeah I figured there were a few other ex pats from the states on here but was wondering it any others like myself who fell in love with the sport through online exploration. We literally get zero coverage on any of our sports channels but unless its world cup time we barely see soccer despite us having a league. Most Americans who have been here for several generations despise soccer(as do I) and I think that helps keep them close minded about cricket.

Also vcs sorry hear that you don't like baseball but guess for many its either baseball or cricket(mostly cricket since its 2nd most popular sport in the world).

cnerd123

likes this
I actualy really enjoy baseball. Have always wanted to play, and was disappointed I didnt get to catch a Blue Jays game when I was in Canada last year.

I always figured Baseball fans and Cricket fans would get along quite well :) Welcome to CW!

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
I had the reverse experience - grew up with cricket and love it, then discovered baseball and got addicted. Now I'd say both sports are probably on par for me in terms of following/watching, though I've not had a chance to play baseball at all. I agree that a fan of one really should be able to find a lot they enjoy in the other.

Welcome to the forum!

usa cricket fan

Cricket Spectator
I had the reverse experience - grew up with cricket and love it, then discovered baseball and got addicted. Now I'd say both sports are probably on par for me in terms of following/watching, though I've not had a chance to play baseball at all. I agree that a fan of one really should be able to find a lot they enjoy in the other.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the welcome! I'm glad you shared your experience because in some weird way it makes me happy to hear of someone growing up with cricket and now enjoying baseball..easy to relate to your story. If you don't mind me asking what teams of baseball do you watch and where do you watch it? I recently found out that Australia actually had a baseball league which is surprising considering that cricket is as popular in Aus/NZ as NFL is here in the states...and trust me that is saying something. Americans are obsessed with NFL much like the rest of the world is with "football" or as we call it soccer. NFL games get the highest ratings on our channels when they air...higher than crap like CSI and others like it.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm sorta the opposite of you, in that I started off with cricket and I now play both and watch the NPB once in a while.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Thanks for the welcome! I'm glad you shared your experience because in some weird way it makes me happy to hear of someone growing up with cricket and now enjoying baseball..easy to relate to your story. If you don't mind me asking what teams of baseball do you watch and where do you watch it? I recently found out that Australia actually had a baseball league which is surprising considering that cricket is as popular in Aus/NZ as NFL is here in the states...and trust me that is saying something. Americans are obsessed with NFL much like the rest of the world is with "football" or as we call it soccer. NFL games get the highest ratings on our channels when they air...higher than crap like CSI and others like it.
I'd happily sit down and watch any MLB game. I follow the St Louis Cardinals pretty religiously but keep track of most of the other big league teams too. I've watched a bit of the Australian league on TV, but it doesn't have the same appeal for me. One thing Americans do well is sport - watching a big baseball game gets me more involved than most cricket games do.

Last edited:

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I like baseball, it's just hard for me to watch on television because I don't have any emotional connection to any of the teams. One of the highlights of my life as a sports watcher was seeing an Angels/Cardinals game in Anaheim a few years back, tailgate party and all.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Welcome. I'm an Aussie ex-pat living in the US. I personally don't care for baseball at all. I think it could be fun to play but having not grown up with it I have no time for watching it. I found the whole steroids issue bizarre tbh. The attitude from people I know that "it's entertainment who cares" was off putting.

I don't mind some college football or march madness but ice hockey is the only pro sport I watch. I like the physicality of it and the players are less like divas.

If you want to watch some better live cricket then the WI combines beaches and cricket. :)

usa cricket fan

Cricket Spectator
You might want to go to St Lucia some time to watch a cricket match and relax on the beaches

Btw your post here coincides with a very rare article on cricket in a major american publication

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/22/s...wenty20-leagues-changing-cricket-culture.html[/QU
Haven't read that article but thanks for the link. I decided to post here because I really hope there are others like myself in my area of the US that have cricket equipment. Would love to play around with others maybe at a baseball park or something. I was thinking about buying a cricket bat on ebay just for kicks to play around with on the weekends.

smash84

The Tiger King
I hear that there are a few cricket clubs in Florida since it does have a reasonable number of people from the caribbean

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Just find the ex-pats and you will find cricket. Here in IL for example there is both tennis ball cricket and red ball during the summer. Tennis ball is a good intro into concepts and playing.

Last edited:

usa cricket fan

Cricket Spectator
Just find the ex-pats and you will find cricket. Here in IL for example there is both tennis ball cricket and red ball during the summer. Tennis ball is a good intro into concepts and playing.
Tennis ball cricket? First I've heard of it...sounds perfect for me and my amateur sports playing ass. To be honest I don't really know any so called ex pats. Maybe I will try the internet to find them.