• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

USA cricket fans...anyone else?

cnerd123

likes this
Tennis ball cricket? First I've heard of it...sounds perfect for me and my amateur sports playing ass. To be honest I don't really know any so called ex pats. Maybe I will try the internet to find them.
Just go to where all the brown ppl live and ask to join them when they play cricket. EZ.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Tennis ball cricket? First I've heard of it...sounds perfect for me and my amateur sports playing ass. To be honest I don't really know any so called ex pats. Maybe I will try the internet to find them.
It's more of an Indian thing. The ball is a heavy tennis ball and protective equipment is optional. I always wore a box/cup/hector protector but was viewed as weird for doing so. Pitch can be anything from rolled mud to concrete to AstroTurf. Rest of the rules are usually the same. Any local universities may have a cricket team or Indians who can help you find them.

usa cricket fan

Cricket Spectator
It's more of an Indian thing. The ball is a heavy tennis ball and protective equipment is optional. I always wore a box/cup/hector protector but was viewed as weird for doing so. Pitch can be anything from rolled mud to concrete to AstroTurf. Rest of the rules are usually the same. Any local universities may have a cricket team or Indians who can help you find them.
I live 35 minutes from the coastal beach area so I would also love to try out beach cricket but use a tennis ball so that no protection would be needed. I just found out that my area has a league for cricket(Houston). Since I have played baseball at a high school level maybe someone will let me give it a shot at a practice or something. Amazing what you can find with a little elbow grease and an internet connection.

Small town cricket

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for the welcome! I'm glad you shared your experience because in some weird way it makes me happy to hear of someone growing up with cricket and now enjoying baseball..easy to relate to your story. If you don't mind me asking what teams of baseball do you watch and where do you watch it? I recently found out that Australia actually had a baseball league which is surprising considering that cricket is as popular in Aus/NZ as NFL is here in the states...and trust me that is saying something. Americans are obsessed with NFL much like the rest of the world is with "football" or as we call it soccer. NFL games get the highest ratings on our channels when they air...higher than crap like CSI and others like it.
Sorry. I didn't notice the question before. I don't watch Major League Baseball anymore after the players started insulting veterans and the league did NOTHING. I haven't watched a game for several years now. I used to be a Cincinnati Reds fan and would try to go to a game or two each year, about 100 miles away, but no more.

One year I had a cable TV account where I could watch every game but I usually didn't watch the whole game. I'd turn over and check the score about the 7th inning and if it was a good game, I'd watch the rest. But the cost of that was excessive, so I dropped it. After that, I'd watch when the Reds were on ESPN.

Small town cricket

Cricket Spectator
I had the reverse experience - grew up with cricket and love it, then discovered baseball and got addicted. Now I'd say both sports are probably on par for me in terms of following/watching, though I've not had a chance to play baseball at all. I agree that a fan of one really should be able to find a lot they enjoy in the other.

Welcome to the forum!

Small town cricket

Cricket Spectator
"I've not had a chance to play baseball at all". That's too bad. I started playing baseball at about age 6 I suppose. But IMO, baseball is more fun to play than it is to watch. It can be very boring in a low scoring game but can also be very exciting too. Only at the professional level are the pitchers so good that "no one" can hit the ball.

It's soccer (football) that I really hate. I'd just as soon watch the paint dry. There's just not enough scoring and the score only changes one at a time. In baseball, the score can change by 4 following the result of one pitch. In Cricket, the score can change by 6 following a single "pitch", and that's what I like about it.

Small town cricket

Cricket Spectator
Do you think that the intentional four ball is a flaw in baseball?
No. I think it's a good gambling strategy. However, at the professional level, hardly anything ever happens, so it's a waste of time there and I think they've done away with it. At lower levels, where the pitchers and catchers aren't as good, they might accidentally throw a wild pitch that the catcher can't catch.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I like the idea of hitting a walk off grand slam in the final game of the World Series.

Has this ever happened before?

Small town cricket

Cricket Spectator
So there was no instance of the baseball equivalent of "Carlos Brathwaite, remember the name!"?
<b>So there was no instance of the baseball equivalent of "Carlos Brathwaite, remember the name!"? </i><P>
Ha, ha. I don't even know who Carlos Brathwaite is/was". I did a bit of research and found there have been 15 walk-off home runs in World Series history, but none were grand slams.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
<b>So there was no instance of the baseball equivalent of "Carlos Brathwaite, remember the name!"? </i><P>
Ha, ha. I don't even know who Carlos Brathwaite is/was". I did a bit of research and found there have been 15 walk-off home runs in World Series history, but none were grand slams.

Small town cricket

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for video. That was quite the comeback!
-- Maybe you can explain the 3rd West Indies wicket to me which occurs at about 1:40 into the video. It looks like he hit the ball and it hit the ground, but he's called out. I don't get it. Maybe in super slow motion it hit his leg before he hit it with the bat.
-- This video illustrates why I like the T20 format, although others on this forum don't like it a-tall. The stadium is PACKED!!. I've been watching what's on, which is mostly ODI format matches from Asia. The announcers tout them as a big deal, but the stadiums are mostly empty. :(
-- There was an NFL game today from London-Wembly Stadium. Did you go, or see it? It was on live TV here in the states and started about 9:30AM. I don't watch the NFL anymore, but I was curious about the crowd size. From the highlights it looks like it was packed, and Wikipedia says it holds 90,000, which is a pretty big stadium.

f they had had these games in London when I was stationed there, I might have gone, just for the spectacle. We had a base Recreation Office, and they probably would have offered bus/coach trip(s) to the stadium for the game.

I wonder who the 90,000 fans were? Mostly British fans hooked on American football, or mostly fans from the U.S. who flew over for the game and a London visit? That's a lot of folks.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thanks for video. That was quite the comeback!
-- Maybe you can explain the 3rd West Indies wicket to me which occurs at about 1:40 into the video. It looks like he hit the ball and it hit the ground, but he's called out. I don't get it. Maybe in super slow motion it hit his leg before he hit it with the bat.
-- This video illustrates why I like the T20 format, although others on this forum don't like it a-tall. The stadium is PACKED!!. I've been watching what's on, which is mostly ODI format matches from Asia. The announcers tout them as a big deal, but the stadiums are mostly empty. :(
-- There was an NFL game today from London-Wembly Stadium. Did you go, or see it? It was on live TV here in the states and started about 9:30AM. I don't watch the NFL anymore, but I was curious about the crowd size. From the highlights it looks like it was packed, and Wikipedia says it holds 90,000, which is a pretty big stadium.

f they had had these games in London when I was stationed there, I might have gone, just for the spectacle. We had a base Recreation Office, and they probably would have offered bus/coach trip(s) to the stadium for the game.

I wonder who the 90,000 fans were? Mostly British fans hooked on American football, or mostly fans from the U.S. who flew over for the game and a London visit? That's a lot of folks.
ODIs > T20Is everyday of the week.

Shame that the low-attention span kids these days can't take the time to appreciate it.