• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Wright

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
On the ABC cricket podcast. Last week or week before. Ed Cowan mentioned that Harry Conway (who is NZ born) has been tapped up for interest by NZ.

Discuss .

Any good? Anyone seen him?

If we are going for NZ born players that Stokes guy looks decent.

James

Cricket Web Owner

“There is currently no ability to request a border exception while in New Zealand before travelling offshore,” an Immigration NZ spokesperson told Stuff.

White Ferns international Leigh Kasperek, who arrived from Scotland in 2012 and does not yet have permanent residency, had to miss their series in Australia last year after she returned to the UK in March. She said it took three applications for an exemption until she was allowed entry to New Zealand in November.

There you go ... so what I had heard was true. Pretty much saying take a chance go overseas and then request. What difference does it make really whether you request from here or from overseas? I'm happy with our rules but it does baffle me why there are so many conditions around this. You go overseas and then apply. Kasperek applied for like 3 times before she got in. Conway will need to apply from UK and pretty sure he won't be allowed to stay in UK and wait for the application to get back to be approved.

Technically the reason they have allowed athletes of other sport codes is because they applied for it while living overseas.
You've got sportspeople representing NZ, and you make it frustrating and difficult for them. I really don't get it - the law is wrong and needs fixing.

NZ government should step in and fast-track people's PR in cases like this.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
To be fair. Ed Cowan does sound smarter than the internet.

May be NZ parents, or I may be senile or deaf.

Immenso

Yeah, I think the context was. Conway had done well in a recent Australian domestic game they were discussing, where would that put him in Australian selection terms, NZ have been sniffing around Conway at some point.

It wasn't some scoop that Conway was on verge of defecting to NZ.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
You've got sportspeople representing NZ, and you make it frustrating and difficult for them. I really don't get it - the law is wrong and needs fixing.

NZ government should step in and fast-track people's PR in cases like this.
Why should sportspeople get more advantages than the rest of the country? NZ Government/Immigration NZ is an absolute disgrace and an embarrassment in the way they've allowed sportspeople to come into NZ while the rest of people on work visas and/or awaiting partnership or permanent residence have been shafted.

I personally know 5 registered nurses, and one doctor in my small emergency department whose wives, husbands and young children have been stuck outside the country for over a year, with no end in sight while they slave away at the coalface waiting for any indication on progress.

The solution is of course to sort out Immigration NZ and its discriminatory and draconian processes and policies - but those have been around since long before COVID. I used to think that we could just blame it all on NZ First but they're well out of the picture now so it's time to face reality. The NZ Government has shown no interest in compassion for immigrant rights unles you're a film star or a sportsperson.

I don't want to exaggerate that by making it even easier for sportspeople to get an easy ride while the rest of us who are actually putting ourselves at risk as frontline staff are being completely shut out by the NZ government.

Immenso

Ya know. In normal circumstances I would be livid with rage scheduling only 1 warm up game for the England tour. It is one of the few tours where we don't have conflicts in the calendar and can actually take the opportunity to make these work-shy skivers properly prepare.

But, hastily arranged, covid, etc etc. I won't bite this time.

Immenso

Oh, and if NZC suits have a single brain cell between them. They will be trying to get Somerset switched to a game v Hampshire at the Rose Bowl instead.

But, you know they don't.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Why should sportspeople get more advantages than the rest of the country? NZ Government/Immigration NZ is an absolute disgrace and an embarrassment in the way they've allowed sportspeople to come into NZ while the rest of people on work visas and/or awaiting partnership or permanent residence have been shafted.

I personally know 5 registered nurses, and one doctor in my small emergency department whose wives, husbands and young children have been stuck outside the country for over a year, with no end in sight while they slave away at the coalface waiting for any indication on progress.

The solution is of course to sort out Immigration NZ and its discriminatory and draconian processes and policies - but those have been around since long before COVID. I used to think that we could just blame it all on NZ First but they're well out of the picture now so it's time to face reality. The NZ Government has shown no interest in compassion for immigrant rights unles you're a film star or a sportsperson.

I don't want to exaggerate that by making it even easier for sportspeople to get an easy ride while the rest of us who are actually putting ourselves at risk as frontline staff are being completely shut out by the NZ government.
The main difference I see is that sportspeople are representing NZ on the international stage. How can you represent NZ, but potentially not be allowed back in? That's what I see as totally crazy and needs fixing.

It seems to be the case all over the world with people stuck - not just an NZ issue. I think I heard over 30,000 Australians are caught overseas without a way of getting back in either. Very unfortunate situation for all involved :(

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Will Young pls

Edit: Forgot Latham bats 5. Would love to see Young and Conway get a gig

Assuming it'd be:

1. Guptill
2. Nicholls
3. Conway/Young
4. Taylor
5. Latham+
6. Neesham
7. de Grandhomme
8. Santner
9. Sodhi/Henry
10. Southee/Henry
11. Boult

Last edited:

vandem

International 12th Man
Reminder of last NZ ODI team (+ squad players), in Aus March 2020:

Guptill Nicholls Williamson* Taylor Latham+ (Blundell)
Neesham de Grandhomme Santner
Boult Ferguson (Henry) (Southee) (Jamieson) Sodhi

I think Stead and Kane prefer a ODI playing XI with two 6th bowler options, which worked well at the World Cup, and with de Grandhomme injured I assume Mitchell will get a call up ahead of inexperienced Clarkson or Nathan Smith.

Ferguson I think out until T20s which come after the ODIs.

Newcomers (e.g. Allen, Rippon, Nuttall?) will need to wait until T20s, when I assume IPL players will leave mid-series for pre-IPL camps, or might be rested for the entire series.

So suspect ODI team will be fairly conventional:

Guptill Nicholls Conway Taylor Latham*+ (Chapman)
Neesham Mitchell Santner
Boult Henry Jamieson (Southee) (Sodhi)