• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Flem274*

123/5
I wouldn't. He has a 15 year career. If he decides that fulfilling his half million dollar IPL contract is a bigger priority than earning maybe 10k in match fees for a warm-up series against a team that we're scheduled to play tests against next year anyway than I would probably tend to agree with him.
and whar happens if he does the same next year?

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Beginning of the end if that happens. Maybe all our top players will miss the next home summer and go earn some coin in the Big Bash instead.

Flem274*

123/5
the way forward is to copy nzru and demand total availability over multi year national contracts but you can get sabbaticals to go play dumb t20s.

the allure of the black cap doesnt match the black jersey but whatever, we dont want sort of keen players anyway. nz sport has always been viewed as an easy talent farm by overseas clubs, and the only thing keeping us strong is playing for nz and strong national contracts.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I've always been of the opinion that you go where you're treated best. You can't begrudge players for wanting to play in the IPL and earn what is on offer. It's life-changing money in the IPL, compared to what NZC pay.

I'd love for Kane and co to play in the England Tests, but I can see it from their point of view. A sportsman's career is short, and they should take every opportunity available to them to set themselves and their family up for the future.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I will 100% absolutely and openly begrudge our Test captain for not playing Test matches unless they aren't related to the WTC or its a dead rubber.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the IPL schedule out before the England Tests were scheduled and announced? Therefore you could say it was a hospital pass from NZC in the scheduling of the Tests while the IPL is being played.

nzfan

I'd love to see our best team put forward for all test matches but again players have to earn. One of the reason why NZC doesn't schedule a series during IPL window. These don't count towards championship points but as a fan would hate us to drop test matches for lack of availability of players. It's a tough pill but totally understandable.

The Hutt Rec

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the IPL schedule out before the England Tests were scheduled and announced? Therefore you could say it was a hospital pass from NZC in the scheduling of the Tests while the IPL is being played.
Not according to what Williamson says here: https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...tests-for-ipl-not-the-preferred-thing-1252507

ODIs and T20s I don’t care about, but we should always have our best players available for tests. It’s not as if they are struggling on the money front or totally destroying their bodies during their career like league players. Kane will already be a millionaire.

Others like Jamieson I have a bit more leeway with.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Needless aggro here from Flem as usual. The series was put in very late on the calendar and boards had confirmed that NZ and Eng players will be available for the full IPL. It wont happen next year because that is a planned series that is already on the calendar and the IPL franchises know about this. Here, it came very late and the franchises have already made their plans for the season without factoring for this series.

In fact, even now, the agreement is that if the players are not part of the core XI, then they should be released to play the tests. This is an one off thing and I sure do wish the IPL can take lesser time and 2 months is an overkill but none of these makes either the players or the franchises the bad guys here.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
if they miss the series its a giant turd on international sport tbh. no one outside india and casuals care about the ipl.

cricket cant afford to go the soccer route if it wants to be healthy respected.

also missing a test series for domestic hit and giggle is a captaincy stripping offence.
No its not!

That series against England is basically a warm up series arranged last minute. In any case BCs who make the Ipl playoffs will still be available for 2nd Test unlike several English players who will miss the entire series because its not an important series for them. Just a way for ECB to make some quick money. So missing 1-2 warmup tests is perfectly understandable if you are being paid more than you make in an entire year! Money is all that counts at the end of the day in this world, not the extra runs you will score in couple of matches in UK. Cricket is their job, they have every right to maximise their income given what they earn in NZ and their relatively short careers as sportsmen!

nzfan

So much drama to pick Glenn Maxwell who's very hot and cold. Feels like Hessen has sold RCB down the river :laugh: The Punjab guys will be going, you could have just asked us :laugh:

Hessen's two most expensive picks Maxwell and Jamieson don't go well he may be out of the job after this year. If they both go well then Hessen could be touted as the best since slice bread.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It seemed a bit of a makeshift batting order yesterday with Jensen randomly opening (although she did better than most, to be fair). They can't seemd to settle on a top order without Bates.

Mike5181

International Captain
No its not!

That series against England is basically a warm up series arranged last minute. In any case BCs who make the Ipl playoffs will still be available for 2nd Test unlike several English players who will miss the entire series because its not an important series for them. Just a way for ECB to make some quick money. So missing 1-2 warmup tests is perfectly understandable if you are being paid more than you make in an entire year! Money is all that counts at the end of the day in this world, not the extra runs you will score in couple of matches in UK. Cricket is their job, they have every right to maximise their income given what they earn in NZ and their relatively short careers as sportsmen!
It's an official test match by itself, and it's at the same venue as the World Test Championship final (played two weeks later). I guess you could call that a warm up, but it's clearly more important than that.

At the same time, while Williamson would obviously be safe, there's more depth in NZ cricket now than there's ever been. You have a bad game or two, don't be surprised when some of those 60/40 selection calls in your favour get flipped around to guys that were there when it mattered.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know why Flem went off so aggressively. The England series, as said, was arranged later on. And they're still going to have the second Test going into the final, and I'm not sure we would have played Jamieson, Boult etc for all three Tests anyway. So I really don't see a problem with it.

As is my understanding is that Jamieson for example is worth $2.8m pro rated on how many games he is available for. So if he buggers off 2-3 games early, he loses whatever percent of the tournament that is. Easy to see why he'd be keen to stick around and I say fair enough.

James

Cricket Web Owner
With the 2 Test series against India later in the year, how would your team look? I'd go with this:

Latham
Blundell
Williamson
Taylor
Conway
Nicholls
Watling
De Grandhomme
Santner/Somerville
Wagner
Ajaz

Flem274*

123/5
india is a long way away for this generation. i don't see all of taylor, watling, cdg, somerville and wagner being available and some guys may well get the drop too. also rachin ravindra and lockie ferguson may be unavailable even then due to injury.

in the worst case scenario where all 5 are retired after the wtc final;

young
latham
williamson (c)
conway
nicholls
blundell (wk)
mcconchie
jamieson
southee
ajaz
boult

they're not picking mcconchie in A sides by accident. he must be in the queue for a spin bowling allrounder spot, so he's my nostradamus selection. they also think young is an opener which is dum and rong but whateva.

there's a few too many left handers in there for ashwin but can't be helped.