• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

James

Cricket Web Owner
i don't see all of taylor, watling, cdg, somerville and wagner being available
Wagner will play until retirement age - 70.

I would have thought the others would go one more season at home to sign off and not retire after an away series (England/WTC)?

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Taylor and Watling are very close I think ... Taylor struggling for form, Watling with injuries and wants to move into coaching ... and both with ready-made replacements. Wouldn’t surprise me if the final was both their swansongs.

Definitely can’t imagine Wagner ever retiring, and think CDG and William Will Somers Somerville have a season or two left.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
There definitely needs to be 2 frontline spinners against India in India with maybe KW doing a Joe Root haha. Patel for sure, then maybe McConchie? Who knows. Last time we went we took Sodhi, Santner, Craig and then Jeets replaced Craig.

Moss

Gotta retain the trust in Ajaz and Somerville IMO, they’ve shown they can do the business as a duo in the UAE and Lanka. They’ll find it harder to succeed in India because as the current series vs England has shown, even in low scoring games you’ll have one player (Rohit, Kohli, Pant) play a blinder even with the others succumbing to conventional spin. Would still back them, though.

Verry tempting to pick a spinning allrounder like McConchie or Rippon but those sorts of players generally do not come off in India. Ravindra would be an ideal pick because he’s serious batsman with bowling a real bonus, hope he is fit to tour. Don’t like the chances of the pace bowling allrounders (CdG, Mitchell) either. I think we all know they’ll try to have it both ways and pick Santner.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They were scoring quickly while Wyatt was in, but yep, they definitely put the brakes on after she went.

nzfan

“There is currently no ability to request a border exception while in New Zealand before travelling offshore,” an Immigration NZ spokesperson told Stuff.

White Ferns international Leigh Kasperek, who arrived from Scotland in 2012 and does not yet have permanent residency, had to miss their series in Australia last year after she returned to the UK in March. She said it took three applications for an exemption until she was allowed entry to New Zealand in November.

There you go ... so what I had heard was true. Pretty much saying take a chance go overseas and then request. What difference does it make really whether you request from here or from overseas? I'm happy with our rules but it does baffle me why there are so many conditions around this. You go overseas and then apply. Kasperek applied for like 3 times before she got in. Conway will need to apply from UK and pretty sure he won't be allowed to stay in UK and wait for the application to get back to be approved.

Technically the reason they have allowed athletes of other sport codes is because they applied for it while living overseas.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

“There is currently no ability to request a border exception while in New Zealand before travelling offshore,” an Immigration NZ spokesperson told Stuff.

White Ferns international Leigh Kasperek, who arrived from Scotland in 2012 and does not yet have permanent residency, had to miss their series in Australia last year after she returned to the UK in March. She said it took three applications for an exemption until she was allowed entry to New Zealand in November.

There you go ... so what I had heard was true. Pretty much saying take a chance go overseas and then request. What difference does it make really whether you request from here or from overseas? I'm happy with our rules but it does baffle me why there are so many conditions around this. You go overseas and then apply. Kasperek applied for like 3 times before she got in. Conway will need to apply from UK and pretty sure he won't be allowed to stay in UK and wait for the application to get back to be approved.

Technically the reason they have allowed athletes of other sport codes is because they applied for it while living overseas.
Yeah, and given what's happened to Foxcroft you can imagine that Conway isn't particularly keen to flip that coin.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Just postulating for the Bangladesh T20 Series, with Jamieson, Neesham, Milne, Boult, KW, Seifert, Lockie, Santner likely away at IPL by then - do you think we'll see the comeback of McClenaghan? Bowled pretty well in the Super Smash, took a few poles. I also wouldnt mind seeing him in the squad for the T20WC - his IPL experience surely gives him a look in.

Bangladesh series surely gonna be something like

Guptill
Allen
Conway
Phillips (wk)
Chapman
CdG
Mitchell
Southee (c)
Sodhi
Bennett
Somerville (?)

With McClenaghan and Taylor to round out 13?

Moss

Just postulating for the Bangladesh T20 Series, with Jamieson, Neesham, Milne, Boult, KW, Seifert, Lockie, Santner likely away at IPL by then - do you think we'll see the comeback of McClenaghan? Bowled pretty well in the Super Smash, took a few poles. I also wouldnt mind seeing him in the squad for the T20WC - his IPL experience surely gives him a look in.

Bangladesh series surely gonna be something like

Guptill
Allen
Conway
Phillips (wk)
Chapman
CdG
Mitchell
Southee (c)
Sodhi
Bennett
Somerville (?)

With McClenaghan and Taylor to round out 13?
I thought they'd drawn a line against McCleneghan though would be a pleasant surprise to have him back. Maybe a reprieve for Munro at the top, and Kuggeleijn in the relative absence of pace options. Bracewell (of the DAJ variety) has been a fringe squad member for a while so we may just see him trialled again as allrounder? And I suppose if they're keen on a spin bowling allrounder option for the SC now would be the time to try it.

Flem274*

123/5
i haven't seen every game but mcclenaghan's copped some absolute pastings in the ford trophy. he's still quite capable of bullying bangers imo because the ford trophy has been a reliable comp for a decade but i think he's lost his top end performance that we'd need against other sides. 2015 mcclenaghan would dominate.

Immenso

On the ABC cricket podcast. Last week or week before. Ed Cowan mentioned that Harry Conway (who is NZ born) has been tapped up for interest by NZ.

Discuss .

Any good? Anyone seen him?