• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Flem274*

123/5
we're not likely to win this world cup, think long term. i'd rather will young for 10 years than 10 minutes before damaging his shoulder further in our semi final loss to india.

Borges

International Regular
The Kiwis are as likely to win this lottery as anyone else, bar perhaps England and Wales.

I'm hoping fervently that one of England and Wales, New Zealand or South Africa win it this time. With all three being involved in the Semi Finals.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Well, he was never given a chance, and now he's injured anyway ... what more can you say? The whole season's ODI selection was a shambles from start to finish.

Jezroy

State Captain
Well, he was never given a chance, and now he's injured anyway ... what more can you say? The whole season's ODI selection was a shambles from start to finish.
Yep - almost like they decided a year ago who was going to be in the squad, and told them they had all season to find form and not to worry about failures.

Why someone like Young wasn’t given a bit against the likes of Bangladesh, when he was quite clearly close to selection. It felt crazy at the time, and it looks even more stupid now.

I try and hold judgement until after the result, but I just feel like we’ll look like a team that’s underprepared - despite the fact you could say they were almost over prepared.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Ideally, Kuggs for CDG, Young for Munro, Bennett for Southee. These 3 should have been slotted in extensively over the summer to prove their case. If not the playing 11, at least as the other 4 covering.

The Hutt Rec

Peter Fulton the new batting coach.

Bit surprised, I thought they were grooming Heinrich Malan for it when he filled in for McMillan over the summer.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Let's imagine for a minute NZC had the budget of the ECB or ACB, who would you hire as batting coach and bowling coach?

i'd want to lure Donald back for bowling, or Bond. Not sure about batting - as in, who is doing the rounds as batting coach.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
There's been a lot of snarking about McMillan's brainlessness as a batsman and the ridiculousness of appointing him as batting coach over the years. But to me, the results of McMillan’s tenure seem to be pretty decent. He took over in 2014 correct? The numbers since then:

Williamson – 4175 runs @ 68.44
Latham – 3089 runs at 43.50
Taylor 2549 runs at 46.34
Watling 2004 runs at 38.53
Nicholls 1510 runs at 45.75
McCullum 1234 runs at 41.13
Raval 1037 runs at 37.03
Guptill 868 runs at 28.93
De Grandhomme 820 runs at 37.27

All up those look like pretty decent numbers. Now I imagine KW and Ross would’ve made runs regardless of who the batting coach was, but Latham, Nicholls, Raval and de Grandhomme have all done pretty well during McMillan’s tenure and that suggests that McMillan has at least created a good environment for young batsmen to grow.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Could argue Guptill was persisted with for too long, but I'm not sure that McMillan had a massive amount of say in that. All in all it seems like he has done a pretty solid job on balance

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Let's imagine for a minute NZC had the budget of the ECB or ACB, who would you hire as batting coach and bowling coach?

i'd want to lure Donald back for bowling, or Bond. Not sure about batting - as in, who is doing the rounds as batting coach.
Mahela would be amazing, IMO - he seemed to do a lot of good for his teammates when he played for CD.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
There's been a lot of snarking about McMillan's brainlessness as a batsman and the ridiculousness of appointing him as batting coach over the years. But to me, the results of McMillan’s tenure seem to be pretty decent. He took over in 2014 correct? The numbers since then:

Raval 1037 runs at 37.03

All up those look like pretty decent numbers. Now I imagine KW and Ross would’ve made runs regardless of who the batting coach was, but Latham, Nicholls, Raval and de Grandhomme have all done pretty well during McMillan’s tenure and that suggests that McMillan has at least created a good environment for young batsmen to grow.
Would be interested to see the ODI numbers.

The Hutt Rec

I remember when reading his autobiography it had a lot of technical stuff in there that made me think he'd be pretty decent at it. Overall I think he's done a good job.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I don't think anyone could deny McMillan has done a more than serviceable job. I would dare say Nicholls has been a pet project as a Cantabrian and he has far outweighed what anyone thought he'd contribute.

Would be interested to see the bowling numbers under Jurgensen.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Jurgensen

Wagner 100 @ 23.88
Boult 99 @ 25.16
Southee 78 @ 26.23
CdG 33 @ 31.12
Santner 28 @38.35
Henry 17 @ 37.52
Sodhi 14 @40.42

Athlai

Not Terrible

Raval 1037 runs at 37.03

If Nicholls wasn't on that list I'd just argue it could easily be chalked up to the relative skills of the men themselves. But it's fairly clear he's helped Nicholls become a gun.