• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Certainly a far closer to first choice Aus side than it is NZ side. Feeling a bit more confident about our World Cup chances now, if this is what the other sides are going to dish up.

thundaboult

International Debutant
No sneaky scratchy limping away for aus today, luck ran out and beaten down pretty bad. Blundell with a 6 to finish it off. He's having some fun too in this BC's uniform. Good to see Latham come in and do it up. Will young you have horrible horrible luck :( Needed you desperately for the world cup...

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Poor Will Young, hope this doesn't hurt his momentum too much, it's been a real break through season for him. At the moment he's looking every inch the replacement we'll need for Ross in 12 months time.

Last edited:

Jezroy

State Captain
If only Colin Munro as the one injured, not Will Young.

Some good news is that they're giving Neesham some overs. We'll need him to be on song with the ball as well as bat.

And if only Kane would bowl a bit more... That would be helpful.

I can't see him bowling much during a world tournament if he is worried about a slightly bent arm...

Hicheal Michael

U19 Captain
I think our WC chances were hampered by the 8 month hiatus last year and a change of coach. Stead didn't really bring anything new to the white ball teams and seemingly allowed guys like Munro and Southee a clean slate.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Does anyone have footage of this match? Would love to watch Young in action. Hope he doesn't just fall out though, really bad timing re: the surgery.

Also, lol @ Khawaja with his stinky S/R 50. Jeez.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I think our WC chances were hampered by the 8 month hiatus last year and a change of coach. Stead didn't really bring anything new to the white ball teams and seemingly allowed guys like Munro and Southee a clean slate.
The injury to Young is a bit of a face saver for Stead, although not like the public will be too aware that Young just pumped 130 and 50 odd v a very good Australian bowling line-up.

Anyone on the scene in NZ could have told you that Will Young was an international-quality player, not too dissimilar to Michael Vaughan in the sense didn't have the numbers necessarily that screamed 'pick me' but was always the sort that could play v good opposition and only had to overcome application barriers to make the move up (as opposed to the typical NZ batsman who fail to make the transition because of technical issues)

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
I just don't understand why they could let Young wait to have his surgery until after the World Cup? Surely it makes sense that he's available to play for 6 weeks then just have the surgery afterwards. Hmmmm.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I just don't understand why they could let Young wait to have his surgery until after the World Cup? Surely it makes sense that he's available to play for 6 weeks then just have the surgery afterwards. Hmmmm.
He can't throw with any intensity, so he's going to be a bit of a liability in a serious match situation.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
As above, he was going to be a liability with his throwing. If it was a Test World Cup, I imagine they'd have less problems but you can't hide a guy who can't throw in a 50-over match.

Also, he's not named in the squad so he can't be at the World Cup unless someone is injured, right?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
That right there is the Chris Lynn approach to injury management. It doesn't work.

thundaboult

International Debutant
At this point I'd take an unable to throw Will Young over a couple of the selected batters. He's pure quality, starc cummins zampa lyon Ind A pak A it doesn't matter, this guy is a run machine.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
At this point I'd take an unable to throw Will Young over a couple of the selected batters. He's pure quality, starc cummins zampa lyon Ind A pak A it doesn't matter, this guy is a run machine.
Yeah I agree with this. But also get the other logic too.