• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Why are so many here against Bracewell's selection. He has done quite well so far in the opportunities he has got, isn't it?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
His test bowling average of 57 with an economy rate of 6 is sure to have Pakistan quaking in their boots. His FC numbers aren’t much better. Granted he’s done reasonably in T20I, but he’s not a FC/Test option IMO.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah...Bracewell does something in theory for the balance of our side, because he is capable of being a decent second spinner and you imagine he has the ability to be a fair No.7/8 Test batsman as well. He's done nothing particularly in that format to demand selection - but you know it's coming.

As far as these Tests are concerned, the main question is what is going to help us take 20 wickets, because we're going to have enough in our top 6/7 batters that should be able to score big totals. Boult and Jamieson not being available is a massive, massive detriment. Southee picks himself, as does Patel (yes Gary/Kane, he does), then what's around it? For me, there's no point picking Henry because he bowls straight up and down on flat decks. We have no out-and-out pace options. So I'd go Wagner for ability to reverse/find ways to get guys out, and I'd pick Bracewell as an option to turn it away because I just don't see what else works better. We know we'll probably get Southee/Wagner/Henry/Tickner (sigh) as our seam options in the squad, plus Patel/Bracewell. As much as I'd love to see a leftfield Sears, Ferguson, Milne, it ain't happening.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Furthermore, we're absolutely crying out to develop a wrist spinner, someone who will give us something different in these sort of conditions. Ashok being the prime candidate, as long as Auckland don't **** up his development like they did with Finn Allen. One FC game (dropped after taking a 5-for) and 12 List As/10 T20s is not the sort of ratio you want for a young leggie learning his craft.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Furthermore, we're absolutely crying out to develop a wrist spinner, someone who will give us something different in these sort of conditions. Ashok being the prime candidate, as long as Auckland don't **** up his development like they did with Finn Allen. One FC game (dropped after taking a 5-for) and 12 List As/10 T20s is not the sort of ratio you want for a young leggie learning his craft.
makes me wonder if there might be a surprise test recall for Ish Sodhi, now there's a half-vacancy for the second spinner spot

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Doubt it. Kane just doesn't trust Ish in tests. More likely to be a recall for Sommerville, especially given he's had a pretty good plunket shield campaign so far.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Have heard a rumour that Sodhi will be included in the squad for Pakistan.

I would like to see something like this:
1. Latham
2. Conway
3. Williamson
4. Young
5. Nicholls
6. Mitchell
7. Blundell
8. Phillips
9. Southee
10. Wagner
11. Ajaz

Can't see it happening though. Would mean too many overs for Phillips/Mitchell. So I'd say we're gonna get Sodhi perhaps.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah...Bracewell does something in theory for the balance of our side, because he is capable of being a decent second spinner and you imagine he has the ability to be a fair No.7/8 Test batsman as well. He's done nothing particularly in that format to demand selection - but you know it's coming.

As far as these Tests are concerned, the main question is what is going to help us take 20 wickets, because we're going to have enough in our top 6/7 batters that should be able to score big totals. Boult and Jamieson not being available is a massive, massive detriment. Southee picks himself, as does Patel (yes Gary/Kane, he does), then what's around it? For me, there's no point picking Henry because he bowls straight up and down on flat decks. We have no out-and-out pace options. So I'd go Wagner for ability to reverse/find ways to get guys out, and I'd pick Bracewell as an option to turn it away because I just don't see what else works better. We know we'll probably get Southee/Wagner/Henry/Tickner (sigh) as our seam options in the squad, plus Patel/Bracewell. As much as I'd love to see a leftfield Sears, Ferguson, Milne, it ain't happening.
Yes, he can probably perform the role that Nawaz does for Pakistan as the 5th bowler and lower order batsman since with Jamieson not being there, there are not many batting bowlers right now.

Ferguson could be tried out in Pakistan pitches where high speeds can get something out of the pitch, like how Wood cleaned up the tail in the previous test.

Howsie

International Captain
What uninspiring 15 man squad will Stead and the pizza boy come up for the Pakistan tour? I’ve got

Latham
Young
Williamson
Conway
Mitchell
Nicholls
Blundell
Phillips
M.Bracewell
Patel
Southee
Wagner
Henry
Somerville
Duffy

Howsie

International Captain
Now if I had my way:

Latham
Conway
Williamson
Young
Mitchell
Phillips
Blundell
Pringle
Southee
Patel
Ferguson

Sears
Nicholls
Henry
Rippon

I’m definitely in the boat that thinks we are wasting Young up the top of the order. Nicholls has been poor for a long time now, should only just hang in there in an extended squad, plus he’s had some success against Pakistan in the past. Only need two pacers, one of which has to bowl with some decent wheels. Pringle left field selection but he’ll play for NZ soon enough the kid has plenty of quality

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim or Chris Pringle? I'm not sure who would be be closer, right now.

There you have it folks, the latest maroon eye patch Hail Mary from the great man. He's come up trumps in the past, will he come good on a guy with a single FC game and seemingly the same skill set as any other bloke who bowls slowly with his left arm? Stay tuned.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Tim or Chris Pringle? I'm not sure who would be be closer, right now.

There you have it folks, the latest maroon eye patch Hail Mary from the great man. He's come up trumps in the past, will he come good on a guy with a single FC game and seemingly the same skill set as any other bloke who bowls slowly with his left arm? Stay tuned.
I'm backing him on this. Pringle is a gun.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
What are the chances that someone from the 'A' tour to India will be included - Carter, Walker, Duffy, Rippon, Ravindra, Fisher? I think Cleaver is the one from that lot who has the most realistic chance of making the squad, maybe Rippon as well?

I think NZ will now really feel the absence of CdG in the lineup, no 5th bowler to wheel away overs while the others get a breather. I guess that means Macewell will be expected to fill that role though his ER to date is probably a good indicator of how well that will go.

DougieRydal

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Southee named as skipper apparently, surely Latham must have been asked first, otherwise that's a strange one...