• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Squad

Southee (c)
Bracewell, M
Blundell
Conway
Henry
Latham
Mitchell
Nicholls
Patel
Phillips, G
Sodhi
Tickner
Wagner
Williamson
Young

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah...I'm not sure what the hell is going on here. I saw the release and thought (maybe hoped) it was the T20 job, but now see it's the Test job - the one I thought he'd covet the most.

I get it - if he waves away T20Is it's a pretty firm sign to any franchise he's pulling away from that format. But now he's lost that IPL gig, is there a market for him anyway?

I'm glad Latham didn't get the job, he's better to focus on runs and I'm not sure his presence lends itself to captaincy,especially under a similar guy like Stead. Southee is probably a stronger voice and his career has seemed to go better under weight of expectation. But he seems such an impetuous personality - as above, will our reviews be gone by the 10th over? Does he have the wider vision to be a successful leader? I don't know.

From the dizzying heights of cricket in thus country, it feels like we're really at a crossroads. A lot is happening in terms of contracts, leaders, changing of the guard in terms of senior players etc. And I don't trust in David White or Gary Stead to navigate that. Even if you weren't a fan of Hesson/Baz, the game was in the hands of passionate proactive people who dragged others along. I don't see that now.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Phillips and Bracewell competing for the coveted 2nd spinner slot.

Or maybe Ajaz.

Latham
Young
Conway
Williamson
Nicholls
Mitchell
Southee (c)
Bracewell, M
Phillips
Wagner/Sodhi
Tickner

lol

Tom Flint

International Regular
This is interesting. I wonder it southee will make big calls on selection if he gets a say. If Boult makes himself available for a home test will Tim support selecting him or not? Will he want to have lockie in the attack or a more economic Henry.
Nz actually have a really strong batting line up everyone seems to get to bat in their favoured position and the only slot up for grabs I think is taylors no 4. Will Nicholls take that on or will they give it to a younger guy. I'm sure young will play so maybe him and Nicholls 4 and 5?
I'm posting with England's tour in mind here as I know the 11 will be different when playing in pakistan

thierry henry

International Coach
Nz actually have a really strong batting line up everyone seems to get to bat in their favoured position and the only slot up for grabs I think is taylors no 4. Will Nicholls take that on or will they give it to a younger guy. I'm sure young will play so maybe him and Nicholls 4 and 5?
Conway is the incumbent #4 and there's a big question mark around "everyone in their preferred positions" with Young opening.

Personally tend to think the time has come to swap Conway and Young even if it means diluting Conway's output as one of our best players.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Yes I get that. You guys obviously know more than me about the side but I look at your best 7 batsman and I can see a way to get them all into a position they would like to bat in.
England however well they are doing, are going to have duckett Brook and Pope at least batting in a fairly unfamiliar spot.
Although duckett opening has been a good move so far, it a lot easier in Pakistan than nz!

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Conway is the incumbent #4 and there's a big question mark around "everyone in their preferred positions" with Young opening.

Personally tend to think the time has come to swap Conway and Young even if it means diluting Conway's output as one of our best players.
I've been 100% in favour of this for a long time. For the ideal output of this team,even if it trims a little bit off Conways average, I really think it has to happen. The gap between Young and Conway as opener,I believe,is much wider than Young and Conway at 4.

We're sending a hell of a talented guy in Young towards having James Marshall's career if we can't get his skill set right. And he could be our next long form captain. Or he could be on the scrap heap.