• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
If you give it too a young bloke, then they'll just get rich early, get burnt-out early, retire early. Like Boult.

Anyway, these are rolling 1 year contracts, not talking a 5 year deal to lock in an exciting young talent to Manchester Utd etc.

It absolutely should go to the next most deserving talent for the playing mix they need, probably Neesh. To give an option to someone on a near-Boult like situation (minus the young family, possibly)

Giving it to Sears, Allen or Ravindra would probably make absolutely no difference. Actually, I say that but Allen with T20s and Sears with Law have other high earning options. Ravindra is more a 'prisoner' of having to do the hard yards. So whether he earns 80k or 150k will make no difference to what he does over the next 2 years. How much cricket he plays. Considering there is a higher earning contract not far away anyway without needing to 'favour youth'.

But honestly, who would chose Law 8 to 10 years earlier than required? 4 years of University would knock the naivity out that checking property contracts isn't actually as exciting as those episode of 'Suits' made it out to be.
Discriminating based on age is also a sort of discrimination which nzc is very guilty of.

If a player is good enough, he's good enough no matter what his age. Applies to a 18 year old as it does to a 38 year old. Why should a younger bloke earn less than what he deserves just because he's younger?

Rather then the age or money it's the playing opportunity I'm taking about. Pretty sure nzc will have Duffy or Tickener on contract list and give them more playing opportunities than they deserve. Meanwhile more deserving candidates get told wait up just because you've not come of age that nzc wants them to be.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To think of my father taking 300 test wickets and then saying "but my greatest achievement is you kids" when we're literally just some random guys. He'd have to have completely lost his mind.
This is actually a very fair point and the reason why players leaving tours or test matches to go an be at the birth of their sprogs instead of taking wickets/ making runs for their country is to be lambasted, not applauded as it is by many soft-in-the-head fans.

Immenso

Discriminating based on age is also a sort of discrimination which nzc is very guilty of.

If a player is good enough, he's good enough no matter what his age. Applies to a 18 year old as it does to a 38 year old. Why should a younger bloke earn less than what he deserves just because he's younger?

Rather then the age or money it's the playing opportunity I'm taking about. Pretty sure nzc will have Duffy or Tickener on contract list and give them more playing opportunities than they deserve. Meanwhile more deserving candidates get told wait up just because you've not come of age that nzc wants them to be.
Well , why did you bring up age then? And suggest to give contracts to players younger, but less valuable to NZC's playing schedule over next 12 months, than Neesham?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Men in their mid-thirties behaving like high schoolers. Good to get some names for the rumoured Mean Girls clique. Bit of a shame since I was a big fan of both players named.
Haha, Oram being one of them is so funny given he was basically already transitioning into retirement at that point.

nzfan

Well , why did you bring up age then? And suggest to give contracts to players younger, but less valuable to NZC's playing schedule over next 12 months, than Neesham?
Long term planning and deserving means something otherwise don't expect the guys to get older and have any loyalty whatsoever.

I wouldn't complain later when these guys end up most sought after and not want a contract or prioritize t20 league

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
Men in their mid-thirties behaving like high schoolers. Good to get some names for the rumoured Mean Girls clique. Bit of a shame since I was a big fan of both players named.
tbh it does trouble me that Ross was involved in an earlier version of the unjustified dropping of Ol' Man River. Ironic that it was his "gr8 m8" Barrie Mac who finally and ruthlessly ended his career though

Athlai

Not Terrible
Phlegm, you personally liked Mills and Oram?

Mills always looked like an angry ponce to me. Definitely embraced the meme of him though. Oram just seemed boring.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Last edited:

Chubb

International Regular
More Taylor-related disclosures of **** behaviour at NZC.

No surprise to see David White mentioned in there. Guy's a grub.
Otago mafia promoting McCullum too. Though to be fair, I would have picked McCullum as player of the year when he got the triple ton. Not just for that but for the results the team got.

Flem274*

123/5
tbh it does trouble me that Ross was involved in an earlier version of the unjustified dropping of Ol' Man River. Ironic that it was his "gr8 m8" Barrie Mac who finally and ruthlessly ended his career though
I assumed it was rotation but no idea tbh.
Phlegm, you personally liked Mills and Oram?

Mills always looked like an angry ponce to me. Definitely embraced the meme of him though. Oram just seemed boring.
Never had an opinion on them as people because I don't know them. Loved both as players.

Flem274*

123/5
More Taylor-related disclosures of **** behaviour at NZC.

No surprise to see David White mentioned in there. Guy's a grub.
I can't believe someone was dumb enough to try and dictate terms to Ian Smith. It's pretty clear he's an emotional, loyal and principled guy who doesn't hold back (sometimes when he should choose diplomacy).

He's not a man to be bullied.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Otago mafia promoting McCullum too. Though to be fair, I would have picked McCullum as player of the year when he got the triple ton. Not just for that but for the results the team got.
Tbh, NZC was such a mess in the early 10's I'm not really inclined to give much attention to the whole "Otago mafia" rhetoric. NZ had gone through 4 and a half coaches in the preceding 4 years. Say what you like about Mike Hesson but at least the guy actually knew he was the coach (unlike poor Greatbatch).

Mike5181

International Captain

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
David White is about the worst fishhead this country has ever seen, which says something.

All you need to know about David White's influence is written in his son's U19 NZ career. So overrulling an independent panel's Sir Richard Hadlee medal decision wouldn't surprise in the slightest.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It would be remiss not to say that those two are far from the only ones. That clique ran further and wider during that 2010s time.