• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How much more family time will Boult even get if he starts playing more franchise t20? Nz play like 4 tests a year anyway so it's not like he's missing every PTA meeting because nz have a test match that day.
Yep. I'm reducing my cricket workload because of the time spent travelling... so I'm going to spend a few weeks in India, then the UAE... hmmm... then maybe the Caribbean. Oh, England's pretty warm when the Hundred rolls around etc. etc.

Let's wait and see what happens, but I naturally turn to the cynical.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
tl;dr - being paid more money than a doctor (including your talent being developed at no cost to you by NZC) to play cricket for NZ is an amazing job, it's barely a 'real' job compared to the absolute drudgery of most jobs and I will think less of any future players who choose to maximise their bank balance over entertaining their community.

So I'm going to be an outlier on this and I'll preface by saying a 33 year old who has broken his back before is a smart and good guy for looking to secure as much as he can before moving onto his next career. Also being away from family sucks, no matter the money, so that's excluded from what I say below. This isn't aimed at Boult but the looming trend and the narrative being laid for it.

IMO if New Zealand international representation becomes secondary to franchise trash, it is a poor reflection on the players. It reflects on you as a person if you choose to represent a cynical, pretend entity that does not matter for all the money rather than your community (who created you as a player) for a lot of money and hoped you would represent them.

I reckon the majority of people who are NZ cricket fans earn between 60-100k NZD a year, a lot of us have much earned less than that in the old days before moving up, some will earn more than 100k now and a lucky few might have started on the higher end.

Sportsmen in general don't understand how fortunate they are to earn six figures basically from the get-go. Kodi Nikorima, a trash tier former Warriors player whose main talent was rushing out of the line and missing tackles, earned more than our Prime Minister for this.

Most jobs are boring, that's why they're jobs. Many people will spend decades doing something that is often perfectly fine at best for a reasonable amount of money and many more will spend decades doing something ****ing lame for less. Professional sportsman is one of the best jobs in the world, if not the best. You get to play a game for a living, you have tons of fans and you earn more money than absolute elite skilled people in the community with extremely important jobs to society. Even better, unlike the people we know we actually need in society NZC paid to train you since you were a teenager. You didn't pay a cent.

So I diverge from the "can't blame the players" narrative. I understand it, but let's call it what it is. Greed. You can't legitimately sit on 200-500k per annum for playing an elaborate game of catch and claim you've been hard done by because professional game players in another country earn more. If New Zealand players start doing this in a New Zealand context, they are entitled man children with no understanding of how the average person lives, and this is understandable because they've never been in that position.

I absolutely would swindle some loser out of millions to bowl half volleys if I could (the KJ move), because my greedy eyes would light up. I freely admit this, but if I was getting paid six figures to be a golden god for NZ then I would not even pretend the NZC money pushed me away. It's the best job in the world ffs. You absolutely can blame the players, and those West Indian guys in particular can get ****ed. I can genuinely say if I got talented overnight at cricket and played for NZ I'd know I've hit the jackpot in life.
All fine but you do consider the fact that the average sportsperson's "career" is far shorter than most other "regular" jobs? I do realize in the context of folks like Boult especially, its not like he is gonna fall off a cliff and be unemployed for the rest of his life but there are other borderline journeyman pros for whom this is it. As usual, context is everything and it is not the same for even two NZ players let alone the Windies players and others who are faced with similar choices.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Not completely unexpected TBH, it’s been discussed here that he’s not always been at his best or (as was the case last season) always available even, after that 2019 WC final.

I hope he’s able to make it to the 2023 WC. Without him NZ’s white-ball options for a subcontinent world cup besides Ferguson and Santner are pretty uninspiring.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Not completely unexpected TBH, it’s been discussed here that he’s not always been at his best or (as was the case last season) always available even, after that 2019 WC final.

I hope he’s able to make it to the 2023 WC. Without him NZ’s white-ball options for a subcontinent world cup besides Ferguson and Santner are pretty uninspiring.
Yeah if I had to guess I’d say the WC is why he hasn’t just announced his intl retirement already. Hope he’s available and gets picked to play in the 2-test series v England. Would understand why the selectors will lean towards younger talent, but if Taylor got a victory lap after that showing in India I don’t see why Boult can’t this summer. Besides England’s batting is looking a bit intimidating for an inexperienced player atm, better to bring them in for the milder challenge of yhe Autumn SL series.

Moss

Would understand why the selectors will lean towards younger talent, but if Taylor got a victory lap after that showing in India I don’t see why Boult can’t this summer.
I don’t think ‘leaning towards younger talent’ is something the selectors have given much inclination towards so far, ha ha. Will be interested to see their response now that both Boult and Wagner’s careers are winding down. They better start think beyond their preferred XI soon.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
First causality after the equal pay deal. Will be more to come just like I said.
I love you Howsie. You know I do.

But this is a steaming hot, baking, bubbling, oozing turd of a take.

You truly think Trent Boult is retiring because of the equal pay deal? Like he's all of a sudden thought nah **** it, I am not going on long tours now that I'm on the same (good) money I always was, but now the girls are getting the same? You think a guy with IPL riches, investment properties, the smarts to keep earning after his career, is giving one monkey's about that?

Trent is a champion bloke with three young boys who wants to spend more time with them, whilst cashing in on the riches he's earned in domestic T20 leagues. I honestly don't think there is a single (viable) thing that NZC or the ICC could have done to keep him going. We've had 11 great years out of him, and he leaves the game having done nearly everything there is to do.

Howsie

International Captain
If they paid Boult more he would’ve stuck around, no doubt about it. We’ll see more players around New Zealand do the same. What’s the saying, go woke go broke. Well NZC might not go broke but they’re about to lose a host of players

nzfan

I see nothing wrong with Boult prioritizing family. It was on cards he was going to check away a format but this came as a surprise. He has couple of years or three max and might as well maximize his earning potential. The millions now will mean nothing in 20-30 years time. The way things are at the moment, nothing seems to be enough.

Interestingly will they give the contract back to Jimmy or will they pick another 30+ or near 30 year old player to give the contract to. If NZC is serious they should look at getting Sears, Allen or Ravindra into the contract list. These guys have lots of years to offer. I think they will give it to yet another oldish bloke that will likely last for one or two years in the international circuit max.