• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Dressing room cancer doesn't set in overnight either. The ball was dropped during Vettori's era imo.
As much as I love Ross, I vaguely remember reading a while back accounts of players (Taylor included), lead by Vettori, giving Williamson **** when he first entered the side because he would still be in the nets when the rest had finished up.

Martin doesn't strike me as someone who would scare a fly. Always seemed pretty chill, almost too chill.

thierry henry

International Coach
I mean he'd have to be to stay in the side because he couldn't on bowling alone.
This is pure "heard a thing from a guy who knows a guy", but by all accounts Franklin was very much a "toxic alpha" type of personality. Big swinging dick in the dressing room typa operator. Would make sense given he seemingly got more chances than he deserved (frustrating because whenever he bowled at anything over 130 clicks he was a test-class bowler).

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
This is pure "heard a thing from a guy who knows a guy", but by all accounts Franklin was very much a "toxic alpha" type of personality. Big swinging dick in the dressing room typa operator. Would make sense given he seemingly got more chances than he deserved (frustrating because whenever he bowled at anything over 130 clicks he was a test-class bowler).
Funny, could've used that personality on the field. Always seemed like a depressed whelk he was bowling.

thierry henry

International Coach
Franklin seemed like he thought he was too cool to try. He knew he had sealed his selection with all the wedgies he was dishing out in the sheds so he didn't have to.

tbh though what I've heard is more about him playing lower-level cricket where of course he'd be big man on campus

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Franklin seemed like he thought he was too cool to try. He knew he had sealed his selection with all the wedgies he was dishing out in the sheds so he didn't have to.

tbh though what I've heard is more about him playing lower-level cricket where of course he'd be big man on campus
Reminds me of when a former NZ bowler of a slightly earlier vintage rocked up in his Wellington kit to play against my indoor team. Proceeded to try and knock the block off all of our batsmen and was repeatedly called for no balls.

EDIT: Seems a long time since one of my tedious indoor anecdotes, but then I've not played for about 5 years.

Chubb

International Regular
He's a weedy little legspinner who loves chess, it's not hard to see why alphas would pick on him, poor bloke. Cricket is a game for everyone!

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah just came to post I compared the Taylor version with the McCullum version and in both the senior players come out looking terrible.

Childish mid thirties men who aren't even performing and, with rare exception, should have held no sway in the team at the time.
Yes to this

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah a mates older brother played with Franklin for Wellington College in high school and said he had a big enough ego for an entire cricket team.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Just reading the book. The interference with the Cricket Awards is bizarre. Glad that Waddle, Neely and Smith stood their ground although in 17/18 they got overruled and Boult won (TBf, the main thing I remember from that season is Boult demolishing England at Eden Park).

Moss

International Vice-Captain

Here's some really good news, NZ had a nice little phase of A tours which got stalled once the pandemic began. I live in Bangalore/Bengaluru these days, hopefully an opportunity to watch some of these games live.

Good timing with the Pakistan tour coming up - hope the likes of Young, Nicholls, Blundell, Ajaz, Ravindra and others who aren't likely picks for the white ball stuff can use this as preparation.

Last edited: