• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Days of Grace

International Captain
Did anyone notice one NJ Astle on the scorecard of the West Indies recent 20/20 tour match against a PM's XI??

He scored 18 and hit a six. So, maybe he wants to play a bit of FC cricket over in England?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't think so Days of Grace.

In the same game, such players as Chris Lewis and Dean Headley also played. I think it was supposed to be a 'past masters XI'

In fact, Robin Smith also played... I think he'd even retired playing when I was over in the UK.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Who was the last over 35 year-old to represent NZ in test cricket? John Wright in 1993?

Do you see this as a problem for NZ cricket that no-one is looking to extend their careers, and thus offer a heap of experience for the young players?

Fiery

Banned
Who was the last over 35 year-old to represent NZ in test cricket? John Wright in 1993?

Do you see this as a problem for NZ cricket that no-one is looking to extend their careers, and thus offer a heap of experience for the young players?
Mark Priest was nearly 37. Andrew Jones was 35 when he played his last test in 1995. Chris Harris was 35 when he played his last ODI.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Sinclair accepts the contract.

Anyone feel he'd probably benefit playing a season overseas, probably English County?

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Sinclair accepts the contract.

Anyone feel he'd probably benefit playing a season overseas, probably English County?
A shocker that he had to get the contract this way, but I am glad he got it.

Yeah, definitely, I cant see why he hasn't played English County cricket before.

Oh and Days of Grace, another Kiwi in Japan?

Days of Grace

International Captain
IMO NZ should get as many of its cricketers as possible playing in England during the winter months. Fleming came back a much improved batsmen after his stint over there.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
IMO NZ should get as many of its cricketers as possible playing in England during the winter months. Fleming came back a much improved batsmen after his stint over there.
........and Marshall got bucket loads of runs over there, and decided that was enough, and stopped scoring for NZ.

Flem274*

123/5
Where will Oram be ranked?

Oram is a good test allrounder. With a batting average of 39.38 that is superb for an allrounder. His bowling average of 34.35 isn't bad either though its his economy rate that impresses me the most, 2.56
Compare it to Flintoff and Kallis who have averages of:

Flintoff

Bat=32.50
Bowl=32.02

Kallis

Bat=55.09
Bowl=31.71

Where does Oram rank in your opinion? I would rank it Kallis, Oram, Flintoff based on those records yet Flintoff is often talked about as better than Oram despite his poorer test record.

Also what do you see in the future for Jeetan Patel? I think he will be better than Vettori. He's been asked to bowl at the death and during powerplays which would increase his bolwing average I imagine. I'd like to see them bowling in tandem especially in ODIs because most of the seamers are crap anyway.

Patel

ODI Bowling=31.53
Test Bowling (1 test)=39.00

Vettori

ODI bowling=32.94
Test bowling=34.26

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Oram is a good test allrounder. With a batting average of 39.38 that is superb for an allrounder. His bowling average of 34.35 isn't bad either though its his economy rate that impresses me the most, 2.56
Compare it to Flintoff and Kallis who have averages of:

Flintoff

Bat=32.50
Bowl=32.02

Kallis

Bat=55.09
Bowl=31.71

Where does Oram rank in your opinion? I would rank it Kallis, Oram, Flintoff based on those records yet Flintoff is often talked about as better than Oram despite his poorer test record.

Also what do you see in the future for Jeetan Patel? I think he will be better than Vettori. He's been asked to bowl at the death and during powerplays which would increase his bolwing average I imagine. I'd like to see them bowling in tandem especially in ODIs because most of the seamers are crap anyway.

Patel

ODI Bowling=31.53
Test Bowling (1 test)=39.00

Vettori

ODI bowling=32.94
Test bowling=34.26
Umm, Oram better than Flintoff? I hate to break this to you, but to be a good test all rounder, you need to be able to take wickets. Oram hasn't ever really been a threatening test bowler. Sure he might still be able to get 2 or 3 wickets on New Zealand green tops, but lets look at the facts. His regular speed is 125-130 kilometres an hour, he doesn't swing it, doesn't get a lot of movement of the seam, and doesn't even have a slower ball. In test cricket he's basically a slightly more rapid version of Gavin Larsen. He is probably a better batsman against Flintoff (except against spin), but he's certainly not a better all rounder. Why, just within the New Zealand time I'd say that Daniel Vettori and James Franklin are closer to being genuine allrounders than Oram.

As for Patel being better than Vettori, only time will tell, but I doubt it. He doesn't really have that much variation and I really haven't seen bowl at the death in two or three matches.

NZTailender

As far as batting goes Kallis>Oram>Flintoff.
As far as bowling goes Flintoff>Oram>Kallis.

In tests, anyway.

NZTailender

Anyway, our all time best test XI?

1. B Sutcliffe
2. G Turner
3. A Jones
4. M Crowe
5. S Fleming*
6. C Cairns
7. B McCullum+
8. R Hadlee