• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
James Marshall named captain of New Zealand A

Squad: James Marshall (capt), Neil Broom, Grant Elliott, Gareth Hopkins (wk), Jamie How, Nathan McCullum, James McMillan, Warren McSkimming, Rob Nicol, Iain O'Brien, Mark Orchard, Michael Papps, Aaron Redmond, Bradley Scott.

Full Article: http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/288964.html

Suprised to see so many Otago players made the cut. Craig Cumming and Jesse Ryder are both unavailable, but would've likely been part of the squad. Will be looking very closely at Jamie How and Michael Papps, the only two players who are close to NZ selection at the moment.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jesse Ryder not in the selectors' good books at the moment it seems.

Perm

Jesse Ryder not in the selectors' good books at the moment it seems.
Actually, the official line is that he was "unavailable for selection", same applies to Craig Cumming. Not sure why though.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Cumming probably has family or business commitments...I'd say Ryder has been left out for fitness and attitude reasons but we can't totally be sure of that.

Remarkably, if Cumming had been available, that NZ 'A' side would almost resemble Otago which is quite interesting. Personally, Im worried that there aren't any new quick bowlers coming into that team.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Squad: James Marshall (capt), Neil Broom, Grant Elliott, Gareth Hopkins (wk), Jamie How, Nathan McCullum, James McMillan, Warren McSkimming, Rob Nicol, Iain O'Brien, Mark Orchard, Michael Papps, Aaron Redmond, Bradley Scott.

Suprised to see so many Otago players made the cut. Craig Cumming and Jesse Ryder are both unavailable, but would've likely been part of the squad. Will be looking very closely at Jamie How and Michael Papps, the only two players who are close to NZ selection at the moment.
James Marshall would probably be reasonably close to selection, whether you want to believe it or not. :p

Perm

Cumming probably has family or business commitments...I'd say Ryder has been left out for fitness and attitude reasons but we can't totally be sure of that.

Remarkably, if Cumming had been available, that NZ 'A' side would almost resemble Otago which is quite interesting. Personally, Im worried that there aren't any new quick bowlers coming into that team.
I thought it must have been fitness for a start aswell, but after reading the article thoroughly I started to think that if he had been left out on fitness grounds then why didnt they just report it as that? It's been done in the past regarding both Ryder and McMillan, so why change? Three of the quick bowlers (McSkimming, McMillan and Scott) are all from Otago and alongside Nathan McCullum make up the entire Otago bowling lineup.

James Marshall would probably be reasonably close to selection, whether you want to believe it or not. :p
That was probably true about this time last year, but a lot has changed now and I don't think he'll be anywhere near the team for a while. Atleast I hope not anyway.

HeathDavisSpeed

So. What I'm looking for is 2 NZ teams. Firstly, a team of players under 30 years old and a team of players under 25 years old. The under 30s team should consist of the core of players you expect to be playing in 5 years and the under 25s team should consist of the core of players you expect to be playing in 10 years time. Now, leave a spot empty if there's no player who adequately fills that position. This will tell us where NZ need to focus developing talent.

Under 30s
Peter Ingram
Aaron Redmond
Ross Taylor (*)
Jesse Ryder
Brandon Hiini
Grant Elliott
Stu Mills (+)
Bradley Scott
Graeme Aldridge
Mark Gillespie
Jeetan Patel

Under 25s

Todd Astle
Rob Nicol
Ross Taylor
Jesse Ryder
Greg Hay
Neil Broom
BJ Watling
Tim Southee
Corey Anderson
Richie Sherlock
Robbie Schaw

I'd hope that there's a better keeping candidate than BJ Watling coming through, but otherwise lookin' good!

Flem274*

123/5
So. What I'm looking for is 2 NZ teams. Firstly, a team of players under 30 years old and a team of players under 25 years old. The under 30s team should consist of the core of players you expect to be playing in 5 years and the under 25s team should consist of the core of players you expect to be playing in 10 years time. Now, leave a spot empty if there's no player who adequately fills that position. This will tell us where NZ need to focus developing talent.

Under 30s
Peter Ingram
Aaron Redmond
Ross Taylor (*)
Jesse Ryder
Brandon Hiini
Grant Elliott
Stu Mills (+)
Bradley Scott
Graeme Aldridge
Mark Gillespie
Jeetan Patel

Under 25s

Todd Astle
Rob Nicol
Ross Taylor
Jesse Ryder
Greg Hay
Neil Broom
BJ Watling
Tim Southee
Corey Anderson
Richie Sherlock
Robbie Schaw

I'd hope that there's a better keeping candidate than BJ Watling coming through, but otherwise lookin' good!
Looks good, I highly rate Anderson. If he doesn't injure himself he's gonna be one of the main men in the future I reckon.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain

Interesting to see Sinclair not in that team. Has H. Marshall's replacement been named yet? I haven't heard anything.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

Under 30s
Peter Ingram
Aaron Redmond
Ross Taylor (*)
Jesse Ryder
Brandon Hiini
Grant Elliott
Stu Mills (+)
Bradley Scott
Graeme Aldridge
Mark Gillespie
Jeetan Patel

Under 25s

Todd Astle
Rob Nicol
Ross Taylor
Jesse Ryder
Greg Hay
Neil Broom
BJ Watling
Tim Southee
Corey Anderson
Richie Sherlock
Robbie Schaw

For the U30's Aaron Redmond isn't an opener, and isn't that good anyway. Replace him with Michael Papps. And I don't really see Brendon Hiini going anywhere either. His first class average is pretty inflated by the fact that he bats down the order and has been not out in half his innings. Could be a useful all rounder in ODI cricket but I don't really see it in test matches. Graeme Aldridge is too mediocre to expect any kind of success at international level. And what about Franklin, Mills, McCullum, Vettori, Fulton etc.? Or is this just those on the outer at the moment who might come into contention in the future at some point?

U30's
Michael Papps
Peter Ingram
Ross Taylor
Jesse Ryder
Neil Broom
Jacob Oram
Brendon McCullum
Daniel Vettori
James Franklin
Kyle Mills
James McMillan

As for the U25's, it's a bit too early to make any serious predictions about who'll be in the side in 10 years, but with the exception of Corey Anderson (with whom it is simply too ridiculously early to make any assumption about) and Sherlock, who seems too injury prone to ever succeed, you've come up with a good list.

HeathDavisSpeed

Yeah - my under 30s team was excluding any current fixtures in the team (including Papps as an expected fixture!!)

Taking into account under-30s currently playing for New Zealand, I think your team's pretty good. As always, the opening position is a worry (hence why I had Redmond, but frankly it could have been anyone!). With Hiini, his current average of 59-ish may be over inflated by a few not outs, but he's still scored a couple of centuries down the order notwithstanding him being a bowler first and foremost. I've been impressed by his attitude too. However, I do agree that he seems more of an ODI option (in the great Kiwi tradition of accurate medium pacers and a big hitter with the bat).

With regards to your comments about Anderson and Sherlock, whilst I agree that Sherlock seems to spend more time on the physio's bench than on the park (did he even play in 2006/7) he is an out-and-out quick, so I couldn't turn him down!! Anderson... well, he's 16 and already playing First Class. Barring injuries, I can't exactly see him standing still over the next 10 years.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm not that knowledgeable on ages so my youth team would be;

Peter Ingram
Michael Papps
Jesse Ryder
Greg Hay
Rob Nicol
David Houpapa
Brendan McCullum
James Franklin
Jeetan Patel
James McMillan
Mark Gillespie

I see the batting of that team being the BC's batting in a couple of years IMO

Taylor misses out because I'm going on FC records, I might take Houpapa out for Fulton though.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

I'm not convinced with Houpapa. Granted, I've only seen him 3 or 4 times, but he doesn't look to have much technique. I don't think he looks much of a test player, possibly ODI, but he'll have to improve on his technique to succeed at test level.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm not convinced with Houpapa. Granted, I've only seen him 3 or 4 times, but he doesn't look to have much technique. I don't think he looks much of a test player, possibly ODI, but he'll have to improve on his technique to succeed at test level.
Astle didn't have much technique either and anyway, technique can be improved. He has the talent but whether he will succeed it's too early to say.