• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Cairns the only one above medium-fast in that list as far as I can remember

FWIW I thought Geoff Allott looked alright, but he didn't acheive much either side of his beastlike 1999 World Cup

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

FWIW I thought Geoff Allott looked alright, but he didn't acheive much either side of his beastlike 1999 World Cup
Never got the chance really, he was pretty much perma injured after the 99 World Cup. Had a really good home summer before that too. was a real shame, NZ could?ve had a good few years with a Bond, Allott, Cairns, Nash attack If they hadn?t been so injury prone.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

Don't mention the 1999 World Cup, it was before Flem's time but if he ever finds out why Allott hit beast mode in that tournament, he'll be unbearable.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

Far point re pace. Heath Davis was pretty quick though (and injured) but his issues were wides and no balls.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It wasn't just the ball. The pitches were very green in 99. IIRC Vettori didn't play a single game in the 99 tournament.
Having said that, Warne was the equal leading wicket taker with Allott.

The ball absolutely went around corners. The local betting agencies lost a fortune on the spread for wides - their system paid out for every unit over the line. Ie if the line was 200 wides in the tournament and there were 450, they had to pay 250x the stake the customer put on and obviously vice versa. I remember there being a lot of conjecture about the ball before the tournament, it was a prototype or a new foray into white balls for Duke, something like that. And it did everything. Huge seam, swung round corners, and held its condition. Allott used it perfectly

Flem274*

123/5
bowling nerds - how high are the release points for jamieson compared to southee/boult etc?

reading daemons comment in the tour thread about holder's release point sacrificing some height got me wondering.

thundaboult

International Debutant
So the NZC youtube channel has been gaining a lot of steam and subscribers by finally uploading match content. Sadly these are just 5 minute bite sized highlights that feel more like a 30 second instagram story than actual comprehensive highlights. Lots of people are demanding longer highlights with an actual live scorecard and commentary like how it normally is in a highlights package but it all seems to be falling on deaf ears. Pity, their channel could have gotten wayyyyy more subscribers and views if they did upload proper highlights. Its definitely in demand.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, the original purpose of these ratty old mp4 files they're uploading at the moment was to embed them in our local scorecards at nzc.nz. I doubt Sky and NZC separated on amicable enough terms for NZC to now send a representative over to Sky's Auckland archive to retrieve the lengthier and better highlight packages that would've been made for those days of play.

The potentially* good news is that what NZC's channel is doing right now isn't really indicative of what they'll be uploading under Spark Sport's new tenure as the local broadcaster, beginning soon.

* Only potentially, as I don't really rate NZC as having enough out-and-out cricket aficionados employed to start putting up really gourmet content, vids with a really strong attention to detail.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Stead seems to be the perfect definition of the word "meh". 90% of the times I forget he's even there. Is he really someone who is very influential, good man-manager or some strategy/tactics guru? Maybe I don't know something about the dude.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
“It’s like any business, you always have positive conflict and if there wasn’t, then I’d be worried.”

Reminds me of that phase in which John Buchanan was allowed a free reign as some High Performance manager in NZC and would speak about "creative tension" or some such thing between him and coach John Wright. In this scenario the more Stead shuts up the more likely he keeps his job you feel.