• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Unofficial*** Ireland Discussion Thread

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Ireland in hot pursuit of Full Member status | Ireland Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

Not happening IMO. Another country for BCCI to tour which makes no money, and another vote against it at the table. That's assuming the cricketing merits are there.

Cricketing wise, would it not make sense to have Ireland host and play away, four day games against other domestic FC sides from test nations? If they can prove that they can consistent beat them (not necessarily dominant, but they should be competitive, and win more often than not at least at home), then I think you can't deny them the ascension to the Test level. Bangladesh should have had this criteria.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think the player base issue is a little bit moot. Bangladesh theoretically has a large population, but it's mostly Dhaka really. In India, they had a huge population but for the longest time, Bombay was pretty much the only feeder to the Test side.

I think what is much more important is the size of the fan base. Ireland as a whole has a population less than London or Bombay - but still more than NZ. So if NZ can perform at the Test level, I don't think you can keep Ireland out.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Good on them, why not? At least this should give clarity about what countries need to do to gain full membership status.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the player base issue is a little bit moot. Bangladesh theoretically has a large population, but it's mostly Dhaka really. In India, they had a huge population but for the longest time, Bombay was pretty much the only feeder to the Test side.

I think what is much more important is the size of the fan base. Ireland as a whole has a population less than London or Bombay - but still more than NZ. So if NZ can perform at the Test level, I don't think you can keep Ireland out.
The fanbase is small- cricket's the fifth most popular sport in Ireland if it's lucky.

I don't think any of those factors matter though. If any of them did there's no way in hell we'd be anywhere near as good as we are now (not to mention, as you rightly pointed out, how bad New Zealand would be). It's best just to look at how good we are at cricket.

Are we good enough for full member status? It depends where you set the bar. If the ICC set the bar low enough that Bangladesh and Zimbabwe are, then Ireland certainly are. If you set the bar higher- as most cricket fans, myself included, would prefer- then there's no justification for having Bangladesh in the cosy little club and Ireland outside it.

Never stopped the ICC from bending over Kenya though.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Not happening IMO. Another country for BCCI to tour which makes no money, and another vote against it at the table.
I buy the potential vote against BCCI being a reason why they would oppose it but Im not sure about the money issue.

Although it is becoming less defined, the European summer is still a place where other nations play less cricket and many cricketers from overseas are in the British Isles.

This opens a second window to play and make revenue in the Britsh (and Irish) summer. It actually makes a lot of sense financially for BCCI

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The fact that Bangladesh got Test status and Kenya did not at a time when Kenya were far more deserving of it than Bangladesh (that is, Kenya did not deserve it and Bangladesh most certainly did not deserve it) is what allows the conspiracy-theories about Bangladesh only being promoted because the BCCI bloc wanted an extra guaranteed vote to prosper. It may or may not be true but it's certainly possible.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nowhere near enough teams do currently. Home advantage at the current time is not what it should be, which is due in no small part to the plateauing of pitch conditions toward a Worldwide norm.

morgieb

Shouldn't happen, but until Bangladesh & Zimbabwe lose it, they should gain it.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thread name edited since SS must have gone offline since posting and it's annoying me.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
read about this earlier in the week and after listening to Warren Deutrom on Cricinfo's Switch Hit I'm glad that guy is in charge of Irish cricket.

We all know, and even he admitted, test cricket is still a million miles away, but the most exciting and realistic prospect of all this would be the permanent fixtures in the FTP that will hopefully bring along a broadcast partner of sorts and, fingers crossed, some more very badly needed media publicity on the island itself.

Also read in the Holdsworth report into domestic cricket in Ireland which pointed to future home matches possibly being played in Spain. Not sure how that would work

Stapel

International Regular
Why oh why?

Are Ireland far ahead of Holland, Scotland & Kenya? I don't think so!

BTW, Ireland was invited to play in England as a county (Pro 40 league). They declined and now Holland will play as an English county..... Good for Dutch cricket, I suppose. And it would have been good for Irish cricket as well.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
On and, more importantly off the field, Ireland are streets ahead of any of the associates at the moment. The Dutch can't even find a CEO, and their failure to implement multi day cricket puts their domestic structure on par with Ireland.

Leaving the English domestic program was a such a clever and tactical move, which i doubted at first. I can see Warren's argument. At best, we could only even put out the 2nd XI (any top players are playing for the counties) and being trounced every week, which isn't a pretty look when your aim is to become a full member country before the 2015 world cup

The one downside i can see from all this is what happened to Kenya when they were granted 'one day status' and all their fixtures (with both full members and assoicates) dried up. But I gather their demise was more internal than anything.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Why oh why?

Are Ireland far ahead of Holland, Scotland & Kenya?
I don't think so!

BTW, Ireland was invited to play in England as a county (Pro 40 league). They declined and now Holland will play as an English county..... Good for Dutch cricket, I suppose. And it would have been good for Irish cricket as well.
At the moment, absolutely. I don't think that's a bold statement considering they won the Intercontinental Cup and the World Cup Qualifying Tournament at a canter and progressed further in the previous two major tournaments than any other Associate. It's a solid two and a half years of complete dominance- and that with a lot of their players either playing county cricket or defecting to England.

County cricket in England was just an embarrassment. If any of our players are up to that standard they immediately get snapped up by a county and can't play for us anyway, so of course we're never going to be able to compete in such a tournament. Australia wouldn't be able to compete in the Pro40 league either if any and every player who was actually good enough to had to play for someone else.

Athlai

Not Terrible
At the moment, absolutely. I don't think that's a bold statement considering they won the Intercontinental Cup and the World Cup Qualifying Tournament at a canter and progressed further in the previous two major tournaments than any other Associate. It's a solid two and a half years of complete dominance- and that with a lot of their players either playing county cricket or defecting to England.

County cricket in England was just an embarrassment. If any of our players are up to that standard they immediately get snapped up by a county and can't play for us anyway, so of course we're never going to be able to compete in such a tournament. Australia wouldn't be able to compete in the Pro40 league either if any and every player who was actually good enough to had to play for someone else.
Would say Netherlands could still trouble them actually. Kenya maybe if they managed to sought themselves out. No other associate comes even close.

Uppercut

Would say Netherlands could still trouble them actually. Kenya maybe if they managed to sought themselves out. No other associate comes even close.
Netherlands are a good side for sure- some real quality in there. Just to get things straight, we're by no means guaranteed to beat any of the Associates- we lost a match to Afghanistan earlier this year- because ODI cricket is like that. But Ireland are still currently better, by a not-inconsiderable margin, than any of the others.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Netherlands are a good side for sure- some real quality in there. Just to get things straight, we're by no means guaranteed to beat any of the Associates- we lost a match to Afghanistan earlier this year- because ODI cricket is like that. But Ireland are still currently better, by a not-inconsiderable margin, than any of the others.
If Kenyan cricket hadn't mysteriously went to crap then I think there could be an argument here but there isn't really. A fullstrength no-stealies from England Irish team would be a very good lineup.