• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Two Twenty20 World Cups on the way

James

Cricket Web Owner
Cricket: Twenty20 here to stay

30.03.06 4.00pm

The ICC has firmed up plans to hold two world Twenty20 cricket tournaments in the next three years.

World meetings in Dubai have garnered support from all the major playing nations, bar India.

India believes that for them, one day, 50-over cricket is enough.

However, NZ Cricket CEO Martin Snedden says India is a lone voice.

Snedden says countries trialing Twenty20 domestically are endorsing it, with others dabbling in it internationally also being enthusiastic.

He says what it comes down to is India expressing concerns, when everyone else supports the proposals.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=4&ObjectID=10375223

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
If it replaces the Champions' Trophy i have no problems, but it looks like it might be another addition. If this is the case, it wll be seen as another pointless tournment.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Maybe the countries will treat it a bit like Rugby 7s then - send out teams of non-Internationals.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Apparently the first tournament is scheduled to be played in England in 2008. I'm not sure whether to be pleased or disappointed about the fact that I'm going to be in France at the time....:huh:

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
If its in England there a good chance we could win a limited overs tournament for once! Especially if India treat it as joke.8-)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
India don't think its a joke, they just don't then they will get as much money from it as the 50-over game.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It'll be a big hit in England, I'm gonna get to as many games as the bank manager lets me

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
chaminda_00 said:
If it replaces the Champions' Trophy i have no problems, but it looks like it might be another addition. If this is the case, it wll be seen as another pointless tournment.
In my opinion the pointless tournaments are the ones where there's a series of 7 ODIs between two teams, or the triangular tournaments where each team plays 8/10 'group' games. Competitions involving all of the top teams in the world are much better, the only problem lies with overkill as there'll be one every year from now on.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Agreed on the 7 ODI tournaments and the triangular series with more games than I've had dinners - the recent VB series, it was like War and Peace, it just kept on going....

Barney Rubble

International Coach
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Agreed on the 7 ODI tournaments and the triangular series with more games than I've had dinners - the recent VB series, it was like War and Peace, it just kept on going....
Not 'The Never-Ending Story' then? ;)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Seems a bit absurd to try and fit this tournament in with all the others. Could wind up being a substandard teams affair.

Blaze

Banned
marc71178 said:
Maybe the countries will treat it a bit like Rugby 7s then - send out teams of non-Internationals.

That is the best idea I have heard about the whole thing.

Scaly piscine

Blaze said:
That is the best idea I have heard about the whole thing.
Not really, the ICC will make space for it in the schedule and it's every four years - so it's not like the rugby 7s in those respects and there is already a version of 7s played anyway. Not every country will take it seriously to start with, but they will eventually.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It disappoints me that they've found a way to get fans along to Domestic cricket matches, get a bit of money in, and now the ICC jumps in and will probably dilute the crowds they get to the domestic Twenty20 games as a result.

Even if the novelty of Twenty20 games would have worn off eventually on the domestic circuit, it smells like one of those TV shows where the hero comes up with this awesome idea, and someone else takes the credit, and all the rewards that come from it, from him.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Barney Rubble said:
Not 'The Never-Ending Story' then? ;)
LOL that crossed my mind initially, especially as the VB series is probably still going on, somewhere out there...

Scaly piscine

vic_orthdox said:
It disappoints me that they've found a way to get fans along to Domestic cricket matches, get a bit of money in, and now the ICC jumps in and will probably dilute the crowds they get to the domestic Twenty20 games as a result.

Even if the novelty of Twenty20 games would have worn off eventually on the domestic circuit, it smells like one of those TV shows where the hero comes up with this awesome idea, and someone else takes the credit, and all the rewards that come from it, from him.
What a load of nonsense. It's a natural progression for the format just as it was for ODIs several decades ago. Occasional international games do not dilute the crowd, especially World Cups that are every 4 years.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Scaly piscine said:
What a load of nonsense. It's a natural progression for the format just as it was for ODIs several decades ago. Occasional international games do not dilute the crowd, especially World Cups that are every 4 years.
But when they are playing 50-60-100 Twenty20 international games a year, I'd be surprised if the crowds keep coming.. Especially when they start chucking teams like Bangladesh into the mix