• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 Champions League confirmed

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Really don't see how you think it isn't unreasonable. If someone set up a rival cricket league in England, fair enough the ECB wouldn't let anybody who competed play in the T20 Cup or whatever, but expecting, say, South Africa to also not let these players in the Pro20 is completely absurd IMO. It's the BCCI's problem, not anyone else's.
But national cricket boards have a responsibility to work together, in all matters. If someone decided to fight the ECB and try to destroy English cricket, I'd be very greatful for the BCCI's (and CSA's, and the BCCSL's etc.) support in putting the threat down. Therefore it must work the same in all directions.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, but what is actually achieved by stopping English cricketers playing for English counties because they played some unauthorised overseas cricket??

The ICL has been a bit of a joke, barring players who have played in it from playing anywhere else is giving it more publicity than it would otherwise get, and glorifies it as a rebel's cause. The IPL has been enough of a success, there is zero reason why English domestic cricket should therefore suffer simply because somebody set up an ICL and a few of our players played in it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
English cricket has suffered because players have chosen to make it suffer, same way they did in the days of WSC and Rebel SA tours. And Australia was far, far harder-hit than us in both cases.

If English players had turned-down ICL offers, their counties wouldn't be in the position they are. But turning-down massive pay-packets like that isn't an easy thing to do.

No-one is stopping the players playing in English cricket BTW, it's just the BCCI-sanctioned stuff that's being disallowed.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
As I say - anyone naive enough to sign up for the ICL now, then fair enough, they should be aware that there will be consequences.

But those who first signed up should be reprieved on the basis that they won't be returning (if they aren't returning anyway)

Not that I agree with banning them at all, but there you go

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I say - anyone naive enough to sign up for the ICL now, then fair enough, they should be aware that there will be consequences.

But those who first signed up should be reprieved on the basis that they won't be returning (if they aren't returning anyway)
UIMM, that is indeed the situation.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'll stop my bitching then :p

Let's see how this one pans out - all things considered, I would like to see this be a success. Also, in the long-term, we should see expansion so that all test nations get to compete - this helps players who haven't played international cricket IMO

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
GOOGLE

Counties to field ICL stars
55 minutes ago

The Twenty20 Cup begins on Wednesday with Indian Cricket League players set to feature despite threats of Champions League expulsion.

The mood in the shires appears to be to defy the warning from Indian Premier League supremo Lalit Modi that any team fielding an ICL cricketer will be ineligible for the inaugural eight-team Champions League this autumn.

Stuart Law is one of the tarnished men but will lead Lancashire out against Leicestershire after consultation with director of cricket Mike Watkinson and chief executive Jim Cumbes, and said: "I said to them 'if you want me to stand down, if there is too much confusion, I will. I don't want to spoil it for the rest of these guys who have got an opportunity of something great'."

He added: "But they keep coming back that we want to pick our best team and win a trophy, number one, and if we are lucky enough to do it we will worry about the consequences then.

"If we win it here, they cannot take that from us. We still win a trophy and if they want to kick us out of another tournament - the Champions League - it wouldn't be the same without the champions.

"If we go through and win it, don't they want to see the likes of Jimmy Anderson, Andrew Flintoff, Mal Loye and Saj Mahmood? Maybe they might have to re-think their structure."

Uncertainty has engulfed English cricket since the weekend announcement that the four-nation club extravaganza offers this summer's domestic 20-over finalists a shot at a £2.5million jackpot.

The fact nothing is yet down in writing - Cricket Australia are to draft the terms and conditions of the competition by the end of the month - has only added to the confusion over eligibility.

"That should have been cleared up at the start of the season," said Law. "They can't all of a sudden start making rules and regulations from outside England, telling people who can play and who can't play.

"That is ludicrous: we are not starting a war, we are providing for our families and if we are doing that in other parts of the world in other competitions, we are not trying to hurt anyone, just trying to play cricket."

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
That's a point he makes though, say Lancashire and Hampshire are in the final...that's potentially Flintoff and Pietersen in the Champions League...or not because both teams are fielding ICL players.

Most likely outcome at the end of this IMO is to allow the county to play but not with any ICL players in the actual champions league

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
That's a point he makes though, say Lancashire and Hampshire are in the final...that's potentially Flintoff and Pietersen in the Champions League...or not because both teams are fielding ICL players.

Most likely outcome at the end of this IMO is to allow the county to play but not with any ICL players in the actual champions league
I think so too-as I mentioned earlier.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kinda dire that it's at the same time as the Champions Trophy. And also the fact that the Indian teams are in the IPL. The idea is good, though.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
So far with the matches that are played, that already rules out at least:

Lancs
Leics
Nhants
Kent
Hampshire
Glos

And there are surely more the other people can add to that list, I'm not up on exactly who played the ICL.
add

Derbys: Wavell Hinds
Durham: Dale Benkenstein
Sussex: Murray Goodwin

GGG

State Captain
I really hope the counties tell Modi to go jump off a bridge. Kind of glad NZ wasn't seen as worth it to that money before cricket dickhead.

GGG

State Captain
So far with the matches that are played, that already rules out at least:

Lancs
Leics
Nhants
Kent
Hampshire
Glos

And there are surely more the other people can add to that list, I'm not up on exactly who played the ICL.
Notts - Andre Adams I believe is playing for them this year.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Notts - Andre Adams I believe is playing for them this year.
Yeah, but four_or_six said "from the games that had been played yet", and Notts haven't played yet.

Though both Adams & Cairns are due to play later this evening, if Notts don't change their mind based on Modi's outburst.