• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 Champions League confirmed

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
why do people hate cricketers making money?.are they any different from other athletes like the NBA,NFL etc.?are we commies?

I wont begrudge cricketers making money-they have a 10 year period to do it and I hope they make the most out of it
I agree. Its about time cricket caught up.

The fact is, and it is a publicised fact, that cricket in the West Indies has not only suffered due to poor structures and systems taking place, but also because it is a more financially smart move for an athlete to attempt a career in basketball than cricket.

That simply isn't good for the sport, particularly when the money IS available. Its a bit different when you're comparing basketball to a sport that doesn't have the financial capabilities. Then you rely on the love of the game to reel kids into the sport. But cricket has the money making potential, let's use it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Exactly, it's easy to sit back and bemoan what's happenning when your countries stars make $1m per year playing for their country. But stars from other countries make a tenth of that amount, and if IPL and club cricket is what it takes to throw some financial incentives their way, then I'm all for it.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Unethical?

The BCCI are the ones forking out the money,

Chances are that it will be played in Abu Dhabi

If that happens, BCCI wont be paying squat as $5 million is nothing more than a round of drinks in that town

Last edited by a moderator:

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
Unethical?

The BCCI are the ones forking out the money,

Chances are that it will be played in Abu Dhabi

If that happens, BCCI wont be paying squat as $5 million is nothing more than a round of drinks in that town
It will be a mistake if its not played in India.they can then rotate it among the champions league countries.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It will be a mistake if its not played in India.they can then rotate it among the champions league countries.
Abu Dhabi is one of the richest places on the planet + ICC is headquartered in UAE + a cricketer is in deep trouble in the UAE = cricket tournament in the UAE

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
Abu Dhabi is one of the richest places on the planet + ICC is headquartered in UAE + a cricketer is in deep trouble in the UAE = cricket tournament in the UAE
good argument but if they really want the champions league to prosper and gain a following and some rivalry among the teams then it should be held in countries which are actually participating.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Can't wait for this.. should be awesome, hope the Aussie teams do well and most intrigued over Warne vs Victoria

Vics

Blizzard
Rogers
Hodge
D Hussey
White*
McDonald
Crosthwaite+
Harwood
McKay
McGain
Nannes

will guys like Rogers and Wright be available for selection?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I understand your frustration but I completely disagree on your comment about talent level.The 8 teams participating will the 2 best of the 4 countries and they didnt get there without talent.

The champions league will further popularize cricket and hopefully countries like China and the US will have more interest in cricket.I do not the kind of insular thinking that has held back cricket for so long.I am all for spreading cricket world-wide-even if its through
T-20 cricket.
talent level as in player pool. We have around 8 top class teams and around 110 odd top quality players. Don't see how they can play for 1 team alone and still have all these premier leagues succeed. So there will always be these contentions on which player plays for whom and I just don't see how it will do any good.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
I understand that, but would feel much better if 1 player plays for just 1 of these teams.
trust me-once the money goes way up-the team that locks up a player will neverallow him to play for the team that originally discovered that player.Teams would pay a hefty roylaty fee or finders fee-similar to soccer and that would be it.

Laurrz

International Debutant
love the format of this, but what irritates me is that IPL teams get first preference to the STATE of the player... rubbish
but i think only Albie Morkel will be effected by this..can't think of anyone else as Hussey can't play anyway because of the Indian tour

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
love the format of this, but what irritates me is that IPL teams get first preference to the STATE of the player... rubbish
but i think only Albie Mørkel will be effected by this..can't think of anyone else as Hussey can't play anyway because of the Indian tour
why cant hussey play?.the Indian tour is after the champions league right?.so the aussie coach will probably give permission for 1 player to leave to play in the champions league

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2008/jun/08champs.htm

Australia's international cricketers will miss the inaugural Twenty20 Champions League later this year due to touring commitments, Cricket Australia (CA) said on Sunday.
looks like they are wrong.The champions trophy ends on the 28th and the 1st test in india is on the 9th and the champions league will be played in between them.Hussey will play or I might be wrong.

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Well at the moment the 2 teams from England will be from Essex, Glamorgan, Leicestershire, Middlesex, Somerset, Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Yorkshire.

Derbyshire, Durham, Gloucestershire, Hampshire, Kent, Lancashire, Northants, Notts, Surrey and Sussex will be fielding ICL players.

That's all 4 of last years semi finalists ineligible by the current ruling.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
Well at the moment the 2 teams from England will be from Essex, Glamorgan, Leicestershire, Middlesex, Somerset, Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Yorkshire.

Derbyshire, Durham, Gloucestershire, Hampshire, Kent, Lancashire, Northants, Notts, Surrey and Sussex will be fielding ICL players.

That's all 4 of last years semi finalists ineligible by the current ruling.
I am guessing they will allow the teams this year to field those players in the qulifying stage but not in the champions league though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nope, consensus so far seems to be that once a team has refused to kowtow to the not-unreasonable "once you play in the ICL you're out of proper cricket" line, they're barred entirely from this Champions League lark.

Kinda useful deterrant to counties to employ ICL players, and hopefully that'll mean it soon stops.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Nope, consensus so far seems to be that once a team has refused to kowtow to the not-unreasonable "once you play in the ICL you're out of proper cricket" line, they're barred entirely from this Champions League lark.

Kinda useful deterrant to counties to employ ICL players, and hopefully that'll mean it soon stops.
Would love a situation where Latit Modi's anti-ICL campaign is brought to a shuddering halt by a bunch of upstart County Chairmen as is covertly implied here.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Really don't see how you think it isn't unreasonable. If someone set up a rival cricket league in England, fair enough the ECB wouldn't let anybody who competed play in the T20 Cup or whatever, but expecting, say, South Africa to also not let these players in the Pro20 is completely absurd IMO. It's the BCCI's problem, not anyone else's.

Having said that, it's naive if anybody now signs up to the ICL and protests against these punishments. The initial wave of signings, Nixon, Read etc, should be okay as I don't think when they signed up they were aware of what the consequences would be. But if someone like Michael carberry signed up tomorrow then he'd deserve everything he got, for being a little sim