• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 Champions League confirmed

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Oh, I am a strong supporter of domestic cricket - particularly historic county/provincial/state cricket. But equally I fear club cricket becoming too powerful.
Why is club cricket becoming powerful a bad thing? For India, I love the increased professionalism (in all aspects) that comes with club cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why is club cricket becoming powerful a bad thing? For India, I love the increased professionalism (in all aspects) that comes with club cricket.
It's just a shame it can't be learned from by the standard domestic cricket boards. If it could, Indian cricket could be transformed, and hopefully elsewhere would take the cue.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's just a shame it can't be learned from by the standard domestic cricket boards. If it could, Indian cricket could be transformed, and hopefully elsewhere would take the cue.
Yea, the problem is that no one is really answerable to anyone, and things are done based on political connections rather than performances.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Unethical?

The BCCI are the ones forking out the money, they're the ones organising it, if South Africa, England and Australia don't want to take part, they don't have to.

They want to because of the money, and hence should understand that the BCCI's interests should be respected.

None the less, refer to my above post, all this complaining looks to be for nothing.
Unethical maybe was too strong a word, but basically I don't think the BCCI's approach is in the best interests of fair competition.

Imagine this. What's the richest football league? The Premiership, quite comfortably. There are clubs in Spain, Italy etc as rich as those in England, but the uniform TV deal in England makes the FA the closest thing to the BCCI in football. Imagine, then, that the FA decided certain players who had played in a certain competition where therefore not eligible to play in the Champions League of football, and that they had the power to enforce that decision. Football fans wouldn't have it, there would be bloody outrage, the competition would be regarded as a laughing stock and not really bothered with.

Cricket could win out here through this Champions League, I think it's a great opportunity for domestic cricketers to shine, and I think it's a great chance for us to see which domestic leagues are strongest. What's the point in the BCCI manufacturing an IPL champion? Let the best team win, what has happened elsewhere is a total irrelevance.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Unethical maybe was too strong a word, but basically I don't think the BCCI's approach is in the best interests of fair competition.

Imagine this. What's the richest football league? The Premiership, quite comfortably. There are clubs in Spain, Italy etc as rich as those in England, but the uniform TV deal in England makes the FA the closest thing to the BCCI in football. Imagine, then, that the FA decided certain players who had played in a certain competition where therefore not eligible to play in the Champions League of football, and that they had the power to enforce that decision. Football fans wouldn't have it, there would be bloody outrage, the competition would be regarded as a laughing stock and not really bothered with.

Cricket could win out here through this Champions League, I think it's a great opportunity for domestic cricketers to shine, and I think it's a great chance for us to see which domestic leagues are strongest. What's the point in the BCCI manufacturing an IPL champion? Let the best team win, what has happened elsewhere is a total irrelevance.
Again, it would not be in the best interest of BCCI to legitimize players from a rival competition. It's like Toyota letting Ford use its engine.

If there was a rival league to the premiership in England, would Premiership let the rival players play in competition sponsored by them? It would be madness to do so.

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year

In Football you do not find a situation where for example Wayne Rooney playing For Man United and then For AC Milan in the same calendar season, like the way an Jason Gillespie could consistently shuttle between South Australia and Yorkshire/Glamporgan so the debacle never happens

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Again, it would not be in the best interest of BCCI to legitimize players from a rival competition. It's like Toyota letting Ford use its engine.

If there was a rival league to the premiership in England, would Premiership let the rival players play in competition sponsored by them? It would be madness to do so.
I knew when making my analogy that it wasn't the best, as players don't play for two clubs in football. But if the FA bankrolled the Champions League, there is simply no way they would get away with saying that certain players couldn't play for certain teams - they wouldn't bother trying it, it is not in the interests of fair competition.

On top of that, it wouldn't be a great business model, as more people are likely to watch if a team is at full-strength.

Really surprised that noone is with me on this.

In Football you do not find a situation where for example Wayne Rooney playing For Man United and then For AC Milan in the same calendar season, like the way an Jason Gillespie could consistently shuttle between South Australia and Yorkshire/Glamporgan so the debacle never happens
Yeah, I know, but the FA were the closest think I could think of to the BCCI.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

That's not what the BCCI has in mind, though - all the BCCI is concerned about is getting the best TV deal it can for itself - and not legitimising its enemies. They're not bothered about trying to be as fair to all parties as possible or about putting-on the best-quality Twenty20 tournament possible.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah but if they put on the best competition possible then they will make the most money.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I doubt it. I shouldn't think any TV company will pay much (if anything) more because they know some fairly-nobody ICL-contracted cricketer is involved than they would if he's not.

Certainly the difference if there were to be one wouldn't be remotely worth it for the can-of-worms that would be opened by not banning anything which could be traced to the ICL.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
I think there should be some compromise regarding ICL players otherwise it is unfair to the counties and the players.The tournament is only for 10 days-that might be the reason why 8 teams from 4 countries are allowed this time.I am sure more teams would be allowed as the timeframe of the tournament is increased.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah but if they put on the best competition possible then they will make the most money.
No, it doesn't work like that, unless the ICL has huge players that won't play, such as Ponting and Tendulkar. Sadly, Indian public (and thus TV companies) do not give a crap if random player X plays for somerset and can't play in the champions league.

If money hinged on the quality of cricket on show, India would be a **** market for companies for all of 90s.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Well Lancashire can already be ruled out of the Champions League, some fool at the club decided to sign Lou Vincent specifically for the twenty20, bet they've egg on their face now.

Will be interesting to see what happened say Lancashire won the tournament or got to the final..would the losing semifinalists have to have a playoff for the right to play in the CL, or if 3 of the 4 were banned what would happen then?

slugger

State Vice-Captain
this whole champoinship idea sounds good.. in theory but look at the problems its caused with hussey been involved in 2 teams that have made it to the final.. and icl players being banned from competing for their domestic club.. ipl would have never taken off if it wasnt for the icl to begin with.. they were first cab off the rank. .. what if the icl offer 5 million dollar prize as well for a champoinship tournment.. they could offer domestic comps outside india ie NZ WI the chance that they currently dont have with the ipl championship.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Stupidity, thy name is BCCI.....

I hate this Champions League idea, hated it right from the start. The simple fact is that itnernational cricket does not have the sort of a talent pool to support a Champions League like football (soccer) does. It would be much better to have the major nations have their own premier leagues and leave it at that, so that those leagues will be a one-off. With so many players playing for different teams in different leagues, you just don't know what kind of a team you are going to put up at the end.

It is ok to be professional and money-minded and we all understand that it is the green bills that does the talking in professional sports, but there is no need to parade it so rudely across the face of the fans.... Surely, it must be embarrassing to at least some extent for a Mike Hussey to see his name being tossed up and down between South Australia and Chennai Super Kings. What if they decide that a Hayden and Morkel are more valuable than Hussey for this league... What kind of a message does it convey to him and how will he be feeling when he comes back to the Chennai dressing room the next season?

I know money >>>> emotions and morals in the world of sports but still, you can't be human if such decisions didn't affect you at least a little bit.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
Stupidity, thy name is BCCI.....

I hate this Champions League idea, hated it right from the start. The simple fact is that itnernational cricket does not have the sort of a talent pool to support a Champions League like football (soccer) does. It would be much better to have the major nations have their own premier leagues and leave it at that, so that those leagues will be a one-off. With so many players playing for different teams in different leagues, you just don't know what kind of a team you are going to put up at the end.

It is ok to be professional and money-minded and we all understand that it is the green bills that does the talking in professional sports, but there is no need to parade it so rudely across the face of the fans.... Surely, it must be embarrassing to at least some extent for a Mike Hussey to see his name being tossed up and down between South Australia and Chennai Super Kings. What if they decide that a Hayden and Mørkel are more valuable than Hussey for this league... What kind of a message does it convey to him and how will he be feeling when he comes back to the Chennai dressing room the next season?

I know money >>>> emotions and morals in the world of sports but still, you can't be human if such decisions didn't affect you at least a little bit.

I understand your frustration but I completely disagree on your comment about talent level.The 8 teams participating will the 2 best of the 4 countries and they didnt get there without talent.

The champions league will further popularize cricket and hopefully countries like China and the US will have more interest in cricket.I do not the kind of insular thinking that has held back cricket for so long.I am all for spreading cricket world-wide-even if its through
T-20 cricket.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
If played correctly, I believe the ICC could use the booming economy of club (ie. state and county) cricket in order to reduce the amount of international cricket being played and therefore increase the attraction of such. Greater time imbetween international series' could also give more time for teams to prepare and make use of academies, etc, which can only be good for the development of cricket at a grassroots level.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
why do people hate cricketers making money?.are they any different from other athletes like the NBA,NFL etc.?are we commies?

I wont begrudge cricketers making money-they have a 10 year period to do it and I hope they make the most out of it