• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trott leaves tour

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
People did make comments about her when she was seriously ill, however. So it might not be much of a stretch to suggest that to some particularly ill-advised individuals, her death may not have been off limits either.
Wasn't that comment made but nobody knew she was ill at the time?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I find it unseemly that people will engage in all sorts of verbal abuse and use terms like "mentally weak" and then turn around and say well "I hope you get better from this problem you have." It's a problem you yourself are trying to uncover. When people say a person is mentally "weak" they mean he can't cope with stress or anxiety and that we should exploit that in the future. That's what you're doing.
Dunno tbh. Surely there is a difference in exploiting someone's, supposed, mental weakness in a sporting context, and piling it on in such a way that would make someone genuinely unwell.

I mean, sportspersons in any sport are frequently targeted for having a lack of bottle or whatever, it's a commonly used tactic across sports. But I doubt anyone who came up with and used such tactics would actually hope to see an opposition player struck down by mental illness. So I don't think it's necessarily disingenuous to send well wishes etc...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dunno tbh. Surely there is a difference in exploiting someone's, supposed, mental weakness in a sporting context, and piling it on in such a way that would make someone genuinely unwell.
People don't compartmentalize those things in real life like that. Where things that are said on the field will be magically forgotten as soon as you walk off it.

flibbertyjibber

Not sure actually. IIRC it was fairly well known, but I may be wrong.
Presume you mean the WI one when Sarwan was asked what Lara's dick tastes like and he replied ask your wife. Now I may have been ignorant at the time but i'd heard nothing about his wifes illness at the time and the way that one was played out with such a quick reply he may even have spoken before engaging brain by mistake anyway. Can't see anyone would try and wind up the best bowler in the world with a cheap dig and think it was a good idea.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
People don't compartmentalize those things in real life like that. Where things that are said on the field will be magically forgotten as soon as you walk off it.
Yeah, I agree, but so far as the intention of the person(s) doing the exploiting are concerned, I doubt they would actually intend to cause lasting effects and so on. Hence why I don't think it's necessarily disingenuous to offer condolences and support in situations such as the one at hand with Trott.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Presume you mean the WI one when Sarwan was asked what Lara's dick tastes like and he replied ask your wife. Now I may have been ignorant at the time but i'd heard nothing about his wifes illness at the time and the way that one was played out with such a quick reply he may even have spoken before engaging brain by mistake anyway. Can't see anyone would try and wind up the best bowler in the world with a cheap dig and think it was a good idea.
Yeah, that's the one I was referring to. I've no doubt that this was a case of him speaking before engaging brain, but I'm pretty sure McGrath's wife was ill at the time, because the whole incident caused a huge stink. I remember McGrath squaring up to Sarwan and shouting in his face, I very much doubt he would have done that under normal circumstances.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah, I agree, but so far as the intention of the person(s) doing the exploiting are concerned, I doubt they would actually intend to cause lasting effects and so on. Hence why I don't think it's necessarily disingenuous to offer condolences and support in situations such as the one at hand with Trott.
I think that's disingenuous from them though. When people sledge someone over the course of a long series and talk about 'breaking down his confidence' or 'getting under his skin' what exactly are they talking about?

Langeveldt

Soutie
I'm sure he will present himself as even more of a target now though.. Which is sad..

Trescothick and Trott have scored more test runs than all of us armchair pundits can dream about, and that's that really..

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I would assume they are speaking about confidence in terms of cricketing ability. As you rightly point out, people do not compartmentalize their confidence, and so if a batsman's confidence is effected it'll undoubtedly have deeper consequences than his performances out in the middle. I doubt very much the opposition doing the sledging are particularly interested in that though.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I read Langer's autobiography this year, and I'm pretty sure he mentions in not being common knowledge at the time.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I would assume they are speaking about confidence in terms of cricketing ability. As you rightly point out, people do not compartmentalize their confidence, and so if a batsman's confidence is effected it'll undoubtedly have deeper consequences than his performances out in the middle. I doubt very much the opposition doing the sledging are particularly interested in that though.
What does that matter? Hey it's just a side effect that we cause this guys mental breakdown, so it's cool?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
God you just know what's going to happen in the media about all of this.

By Thursday a former Australian player will have accused Trott of being weak. At least one radio show host will do the same, though don't be surprised if it's more. Clueless media personalities - probably on a morning or daytime talk show - will try to pin the blame on David Warner while also calling for all sledging to be banned because think of the children. And most importantly, your dumb mates on Facebook that you haven't seen since high school will praise Warner's chat and insinuate that Jonathan enjoys the company of men.

Daemon

God you just know what's going to happen in the media about all of this.

By Thursday a former Australian player will have accused Trott of being weak. At least one radio show host will do the same, though don't be surprised if it's more. Clueless media personalities - probably on a morning or daytime talk show - will try to pin the blame on David Warner while also calling for all sledging to be banned because think of the children. And most importantly, your dumb mates on Facebook that you haven't seen since high school will praise Warner's chat and insinuate that Jonathan enjoys the company of men.
:laugh: truer words have never been spoken

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm not really sure what point SS is trying to make here, in a larger sense. Test cricket is an extremely psychological game, divorce the psychological aspect from the hit-ball-with-bat aspect of it and it's no longer Test cricket.

Expressway76

U19 Vice-Captain
I sat just behind his fielding position on the boundary at the Chester le street test and he responded quite sharply to some good natured heckling from a few young Aussie lads nearby, it was the kind of stuff most other players would laugh off or ignore. He didn't seem right then and his batting form showed it too. I hope he gets well quickly and is back in the side as soon as possible.