• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tremlett the next fast bowling great?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
All this talk of Warne saying this about Tremlett so often (as again he said it several times when commentating on the 4th Test) - I thought we'd been assured by social that Warne didn't rate Tremlett at all?
Warne's always rated Tremlett - Warne simply wasn't able to get the best out of him. Which doesn't suit the "Warne's a genius" school of thought.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol Xuhaib.. the last you got this excited about a bowler IIRC, it was Ishant Sharma.. I am sure people don't wanna see Tremlett go down THAT route.. ;)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
:) Not me.. I think he is a real talent.. The working over he gave Sachin back in 2007 still remains in memory... Also the lesson on how to survive such spells and make the bowler go bananas by Sachin.. :) It was fast and furious with a leg side field and at the body bowling but Sachin got through, got used to the pace and started tucking them away effortlessly in the latter part of the spell.. Was just awesome.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would love him to play 40 odd tests and get close to 200 wickets, i just can't see him staying injury free long enough. The talent is there but will the body and mind last the pace?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
All this talk of Warne saying this about Tremlett so often (as again he said it several times when commentating on the 4th Test) - I thought we'd been assured by social that Warne didn't rate Tremlett at all?
I think there's a difference between believing that someone can do something, and believing that someone can do something on a consistent basis.

What I read from Warne made it sound like he believed that Tremlett could be a genius Test bowler, and bowl like the number 1 Test bowler in the world, but that he didn't have the mental fortitude to be the number 1 Test bowler in the world.

Xuhaib

International Coach
lol Xuhaib.. the last you got this excited about a bowler IIRC, it was Ishant Sharma.. I am sure people don't wanna see Tremlett go down THAT route.. ;)
Nah not really I got as excited for Aamer,Morkal and now Milne still my shining moment is defending Steyn from Goughy and Richard back in 2006 yes I do have the tendency to jump the gun with fast bowlers.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah, he'll play Tests again IMO. Seems like it's Anderson/Broad fixtures, then a 'rotation' thing of Bresnan/Finn/Tremlett, where one gets a run for a while, gets injured, and then another takes his place

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Tremlett's only just back from a long-term injury, and the early signs are that he has a mighty long way to get back to what he was. Sadly, history suggest that another injury won't be that far off coming anyway.

I hestitate to say he's finished as a test bowler, because if we lose a couple to injuries next year and Tremlett has a good 2013 then he might yet be invited to tour Aus the winter after next. But if Finn progresses as he should and stays fit, then it's hard to see a way back for the big man.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Anno domini's not in his favour either. He turned 30 last year, if memory serves.

Could still have four or five good years left, but the end does come very rapidly for some seam up bowlers, as we saw with Gillespie and Hoggard quite recently.

Jacknife

International Captain
Nah, he'll play Tests again IMO. Seems like it's Anderson/Broad fixtures, then a 'rotation' thing of Bresnan/Finn/Tremlett, where one gets a run for a while, gets injured, and then another takes his place
Yes agree, he'll soon enough get his chance and when he does he might just end up keeping it until ike you say injury strikes. When he's fit he'd be one of the first bowlers I'd pick, particularly in Aus and SA