• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 3 players of Fast bowling in last 50 years ?

Calm_profit

State Vice-Captain
From what I have seen
AbDV
Herschelle Gibbs
KP
From watching cricket clips
Alec Stewart
Mark Taylor his cuts and pulls were underrated.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
early memories or watching Richie Richardson in his floppy maroon playing pace bowling with ease. was a don against the quicks

also while he was **** against alderman and a bit fallible v swing in general, how we gone 4 pages without mentioning how good gooch was v genuine pace?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I don’t think genuinely great player of pace bowling has ever existed in the history of the game. There have been players who have almost completely dominated spin bowling; pace equivalent of that doesn’t really exist IMO.
Viv

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don’t think genuinely great player of pace bowling has ever existed in the history of the game. There have been players who have almost completely dominated spin bowling; pace equivalent of that doesn’t really exist IMO.
Bradman?

*dodges rocks*

Prince Of Ceylon

Cricket Spectator
Aravinda de silva in my eyes & Robin smith was lethal.

As for spin a lot of so called great players of spin weren't as solid as their reputation made out. Take Sachin he was magnificent against leg spin but later on his career he seemed to struggle against off spin. I guess Lara would be the guy who dominated spin

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
Viv was imperious, he cut into swing bowlers in England, decimated pace in Australia (top scored against Lillee and Thomo with 140 and then cut into them with a 96 a few weeks later, I think he had a SR of 90 in that innings) and batted brilliantly at times against Khan and Akram, although was not as effective against them.

One has to bring up Ponting as well, albeit on slower, lower pitches but he handled the short ball brilliantly, although the lasting images may be the tail end of his career and being hit on the head a few times.

Inzy, Zaheer Abbas, KP, AB (although played in a weaker era), Anwar, Botham, Hayden and Tendulkar all come to mind as well.

Nikhil99.99

U19 Cricketer
jardine once famously said no batsman has ever truly mastered fast bowling.And i guess its true to this day.
If I really have to go for one in history.I would go for D.R Jardine himself. He had a heart of a lion.His only century came against wi which had good fast bowling attack when they were bowling bodyline.And jardine didnt flinch a single time.
Facing a good West Indies total, England suffered a batting collapse, at one point falling to 134 for four. With Les Ames in difficulty against the short-pitched bowling, Jardine said, "You get yourself down this end, Les. I'll take care of this bloody nonsense." He went right back to the bouncers, standing on tiptoe, and stopped them with a dead bat, sometimes playing the ball one handed for more control.Wisden described how he never flinched despite facing the greatest amount of Bodyline. It also believed that he played it "probably better than any other man in the world was capable of doing."He batted for nearly five hours, scoring 127, his only Test century.

Last edited: