• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 3 players of Fast bowling in last 50 years ?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep, he loved "fearless" cricketers and admired Gavaskar playing in his floppy hat and Viv staring down fast bowlers. These were the two top batsman of his time according to him.

He also declared when Miandad was on 280 against India because he wanted to win and didn't really care for personal milestones. Miandad never forgave him for that and thought that Imran did it out of spite.
How much time was left? And did they win?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sachin was quality against pace but he never really dominated them like Ponting and Viv did. I can think of his 98 in 2003 World Cup vs Shoaib and Wasim as well as his 169 at Cape Town where he kept hammering Donald for fours with on drives as rare examples of him attacking pace. Otherwise like Joe Root he would play them well without taking them on.
He was just as if not more effective tbf especially against lateral movement . Don't think attacking more necessarily makes you better against pace bowlers.

smash84

The Tiger King
How much time was left? And did they win?
I think he declared on the 3rd day, there was plenty of time but it was a real roady road. Mudassar Nazar also got a double hundred in the same innings. Pak did win by an innings.

Edit: Here's the full scorecard

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sachin smashed pacers in ODIs so it's not like he couldn't do it. Just put a higher price on his wicket in tests. Nothing wrong with that.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I think he declared on the 3rd day, there was plenty of time but it was a real roady road. Mudassar Nazar also got a double hundred in the same innings. Pak did win by an innings.

Seems justifiable.

Kirkut

International Regular
He was just as if not more effective tbf especially against lateral movement . Don't think attacking more necessarily makes you better against pace bowlers.
True, but I'm talking here about bowlers who rely on sheer pace and bowl gun barrel straight like MJ, Tait, Akhtar and sometimes Donald. Ponting loved smashing express bowlers, which is why he was destined for greatness even after making an ordinary start to his test career.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year

That Indian team is really carried by Kapil Dev in bowling and Gavaskar in batting. No one else worth noting.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That Indian team is really carried by Kapil Dev in bowling and Gavaskar in batting. No one else worth noting.
Quite harsh on Amarnath, Vesngsarkar and Viswanath. It's probably a better batting lineup than our current one

Bowling wise yea it was Kapil+scrubs

Slifer

International Captain
Umm no. India then had a very solid middle order. Armanath, Viswanath and Vengsarkar were all very very solid. Plus Dev coming in after them. Very solid batting lineup. Arguably better than what India currently have.

Prince Of Ceylon

Cricket Spectator
Its a great regret of mine that I did not see Viv or that era play. However, I have heard Viv did not play his own WI bowlers well at domestic level.

Having watched cricket predominantly in the 90s - where there were so many great fast bowlers, I would rate the following:

#1, Aravinda De Silva - quite comfortably imo. Record number of centuries against PAK despite playing for a rubbish SL side most of the time. Even hooked Imran for 6 for his first century. To dominate Imran, Wasim, Waqar, Zahid and Mahmood. Kind of puts him in a league of his own. I've heard a lot of pace bowlers say he was the best they bowled to.

#2, Martin Crowe - Great player of pace but did not DOMINATE Akram like De Silva did - he was a more defensive player. De Silva was a better stroke maker. There were times when he made Akram look amatuer. Still Crowe was excellent against pace.

#3 Ricky Ponting - Great player of pace. Could hook and pull brilliantly against them. Fearless too. Only reason I've got him at 3 is I felt he was a bit lucky not to face 90s pace bowlers regularly the same way De Silva and CROWE HAD TOO. Would of been interesting to see how he fared against prime Wasim if he faced him consistently. Generally when I saw him play he sometimes needed to settle in and then go after the pace attack. Whereas, guys like De Silva and Sanath could go after them from ball 1.

Honourable mentions:

1, Steve Waugh - solid against pace but not naturally gifted. He was not comfortable against short pitched bowling at all but seldom got out to it.
2, David boon - mentally very tough and great against WI attack
3, Mark Waugh - simply put a genius - played Akram brilliantly at times. Very underrated - should be in top 3 but I gave Punter the edge bcos of his attitude and ability to hook
4, Robin Smith - Square of the wicket was the best around along with Steve waugh at times
5, Adam Gilchrist - Attacking great pure striker but vulnerable to swing bowling imo and Flintoff exposed him around the wicket.
6, Saeed Anwar - Always thought he was brillaint against pace (and spin) but my Pakistani friend told me he was only good on flat pitches.
7, Richie Richardson & Carl Hooper.

Chrish

International Debutant
I don’t think genuinely great player of pace bowling has ever existed in the history of the game. There have been players who have almost completely dominated spin bowling; pace equivalent of that doesn’t really exist IMO.